Review AFLW R2 v Richmond @ Metricon 4:10pm Feb 15 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Surprised at 7000- obviously undercover as it was still blazing hot
AFLW- great passion and they pile in but skills are terrible-no secrets there
But it's not about 2020, it's about 2030 and the little girl maybe 8 or 9 I saw at Burleigh this morning when I was getting a coffee spinning a footy in her hand like I did as a kid
Really blew me away seeing that
I think there's a bright future for the women's game on the Coast, because unlike the AFL people don't have persisting tribal loyalties and the AFL has done a great job in marketing the comp and tbh there's not a lot of competition for girls aspiring to other codes of professional football
A lot of young girls have stars in their eyes dreaming about getting a game which is great:thumbsu:

Last edited:
Looking at the team stats on the women's app, there is plenty they can work on, as they lost most stat, except the tackles, hitouts and rebound 50's. But it's good things to work on going forward.
On the full website it is terrible aswell. I was trying to click on individual players to review their stats from last week - can't do it though.

Nice article about the game.

lwXaJe5.jpg

Isn't it wonderful to see our club in a finals position? That could change tomorrow but we have a healthy percentage and that will help going forward.

Thought the girls were really good today and our tackling pressure was a big factor behind the victory. Stanton is a star and I was very concerned when she went off with her arm in a jumper sling but it was encouraging to see her finish the game and I heard a few of the players after the game say that Stanton herself thought her shoulder would be fine going forward.

I will mention I saw Katie Brennan go straight to Stanton before the 3rd quarter had started and saw her smashing into Stanton's injured shoulder. I felt that was poor from Brennan and not in the spirit of the game to try to hurt an already injured player before play had even started. I know she's Richmond's captain and is highly respected down south but I was disappointed when I saw that.

On the full website it is terrible aswell. I was trying to click on individual players to review their stats from last week - can't do it though.

Nice article about the game.
Yeah, you don't realize at the time as it was a good game, and it did feel like they deserved to win. But I imagine the coaches will show these stats as things to improve on going forward. Not something you can get away with playing better teams.

Yeah, you don't realize at the time as it was a good game, and it did feel like they deserved to win. But I imagine the coaches will show these stats as things to improve on going forward. Not something you can get away with playing better teams.
ahh, I misunerstood your original comment. I was just saying the website functionality for reviewing statistics is poor, nothing about the actual performance of the team. Sorry for the misleading statement!

I will mention I saw Katie Brennan go straight to Stanton before the 3rd quarter had started and saw her smashing into Stanton's injured shoulder. I felt that was poor from Brennan and not in the spirit of the game to try to hurt an already injured player before play had even started. I know she's Richmond's captain and is highly respected down south but I was disappointed when I saw that.

Glad to see the media questioning Brennan over the poor sportsmanship she displayed yesterday. I'll say it again, it's not in the spirit of the game to try and hurt an already injured player. Bad look.

Surprised at 7000- obviously undercover as it was still blazing hot
AFLW- great passion and they pile in but skills are terrible-no secrets there
But it's not about 2020, it's about 2030 and the little girl maybe 8 or 9 I saw at Burleigh this morning when I was getting a coffee spinning a footy in her hand like I did as a kid
Really blew me away seeing that
I think there's a bright future for the women's game on the Coast, because unlike the AFL people don't have persisting tribal loyalties and the AFL has done a great job in marketing the comp and tbh there's not a lot of competition
A lot of young girls have stars in their eyes dreaming about getting a game which is great:thumbsu:
this is the wonderful thing about the women’s league!! I am heavily involved with my local team and we can definitely see the effect that the women’s league is having!!!!

lwXaJe5.jpg

Isn't it wonderful to see our club in a finals position? That could change tomorrow but we have a healthy percentage and that will help going forward.

Thought the girls were really good today and our tackling pressure was a big factor behind the victory. Stanton is a star and I was very concerned when she went off with her arm in a jumper sling but it was encouraging to see her finish the game and I heard a few of the players after the game say that Stanton herself thought her shoulder would be fine going forward.

what is also great is the amazing buzz that we have around our club at the moment with the enthusiasm and culture that these girls have developed. Are we gonna win the flag? Hopefully but unlikely however we do have a strong team with great culture and let’s hope this helps to make a big crack at a flag!

Glad to see the media questioning Brennan over the poor sportsmanship she displayed yesterday. I'll say it again, it's not in the spirit of the game to try and hurt an already injured player. Bad look.
She has always been like this. If things aren’t going her way she starts ganging up on the opposition trying to hurt them! That’s why she got rubbed out for a granny remember!

Lions were excellent in the second half against Cats. It will be hard to beat them. We run on empty in the last quarter. But we got an extra day to recover.

Lions were excellent in the second half against Cats. It will be hard to beat them. We run empty in the last quarter. But we got an extra day to recover.

Agree but our girls were coming off a "slog" in the wet from the week before, so understandable to me, for them to tire in the 2nd half....should be right up for it next week I reckon.

Agree but our girls were coming off a "slog" in the wet from the week before, so understandable to me, for them to tire in the 2nd half....should be right up for it next week I reckon.
Yes, I was thinking the same. That was a crazy slog against GWS. It was pretty amazing the see all the excitement after the win, then fans allowed to interact with players on the field. I bet boys got to be a bit jealous. Better to get some wins too. I can't still understand that most fans left. Only 500 fans watching practice was a shock for me. No public transport after the game too.

Last edited:
Will Brisbane be an easy win? No but I know we are capable of being able to win.

We just lost in a practice match and looking at both lists, we have a stronger list. I think we should win and make a clearer and bolder case for finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is the wonderful thing about the women’s league!! I am heavily involved with my local team and we can definitely see the effect that the women’s league is having!!!!
That's awesome to hear! I'm guessing you've seen a considerable increase in the amount of girls signing up to play footy?
what is also great is the amazing buzz that we have around our club at the moment with the enthusiasm and culture that these girls have developed. Are we gonna win the flag? Hopefully but unlikely however we do have a strong team with great culture and let’s hope this helps to make a big crack at a flag!
I'm a huge fan of the culture the girls are developing! These girls work hard and deserve the attention they are getting. It's also great to know girls on the Gold Coast now have a professional sporting pathway to follow and can dream about representing their city on the national stage.
She has always been like this. If things aren’t going her way she starts ganging up on the opposition trying to hurt them! That’s why she got rubbed out for a granny remember!
You're right. I feel sorry for Richmond because their younger players are looking up to her for guidance as their captain and her actions aren't those of a good role model.
Will Brisbane be an easy win? No but I know we are capable of being able to win.

We just lost in a practice match and looking at both lists, we have a stronger list. I think we should win and make a clearer and bolder case for finals.
I believe we have more talent on our list than Brisbane. I think it's more a question of experience at this stage. I said before the season started that our senior players like Jamie Stanton were going to have to step up for us to win games and that's exactly what we saw yesterday. We also saw other senior players like Surman, Kaslar and Ahrens step it up which was crucial. It's also possible we'll debut another U18 All Australian in Kitara Whap-Farrar next week like we did yesterday with Hampson, who played well IMO. I reiterate - talent isn't an issue for us, it's the lack of experience on our overall list that could hold us back. I'm still not entirely sure if we're just simply not composed enough to play well in late game situations or if the heavy conditions carried over to this week but we'll find out next week because our players should be refreshed and ready to play a full game.
I still don’t see it.

I'm surprised you're even able to post. I thought you would be in a state of perpetual shock given you predicted both of our clubs would be glued to the bottom of the AFLW ladder. You've been underrating our list for about a full month now and you might get the biggest shock of all when we beat you next week and take the top ladder position from you.

Will be interesting to watach the Adelaide vs St Kilda match up this afternoon.

We dont play the Saints but play Adelaide (hoping for a Saints win!) Adelaide have injury worries which could hurt them although should get key players back before we play them in the second last round.

I'm surprised you're even able to post. I thought you would be in a state of perpetual shock given you predicted both of our clubs would be glued to the bottom of the AFLW ladder. You've been underrating our list for about a full month now and you might get the biggest shock of all when we beat you next week and take the top ladder position from you.
I’m genuinely surprised at how well both teams are playing. Especially the Lions. As has been noted on our board, we’re playing much better than last year, which I and many of our postersdidn’t see happening after losing so much talent.

I haven’t just been underrating your list. It’s not some anti Suns bias. I’ve been pretty clear it’s both teams.

Most of my comments are usually replies to a couple of posters who continually say the Suns list is much better than the Lions. As I’ve said repeatedly, I don’t see how anyone can genuinely say this.

It’s not like you picked the eyes out of our list, or other lists. Both teams had to fill out our lists at the draft with players from the lower leagues. We picked players out the QAFLW, while you guys picked up a few girls from the SANFLW and NSW.

It’s not like wplayed competitively yet to get a marker.

Posters often point to the number of U18 AA’s or U18 National academy members the Suns have. The Lions have them too.

It’s great the Suns have 3 in this years National academy, while the Lions only have 1. But if you look at the U17’s, it’s reversed 3 Lions, 1 Sun. Swings and roundabouts.

I’m genuinely surprised at how well both teams are playing. Especially the Lions. As has been noted on our board, we’re playing much better than last year, which I and many of our postersdidn’t see happening after losing so much talent.

I haven’t just been underrating your list. It’s not some anti Suns bias. I’ve been pretty clear it’s both teams.

Most of my comments are usually replies to a couple of posters who continually say the Suns list is much better than the Lions. As I’ve said repeatedly, I don’t see how anyone can genuinely say this.

It’s not like you picked the eyes out of our list, or other lists. Both teams had to fill out our lists at the draft with players from the lower leagues. We picked players out the QAFLW, while you guys picked up a few girls from the SANFLW and NSW.

It’s not like wplayed competitively yet to get a marker.

Posters often point to the number of U18 AA’s or U18 National academy members the Suns have. The Lions have them too.

It’s great the Suns have 3 in this years National academy, while the Lions only have 1. But if you look at the U17’s, it’s reversed 3 Lions, 1 Sun. Swings and roundabouts.
Do I remember correctly. Did you actually post before season started that both Suns and Lions women teams will be s*** next 10 years? No doubt Suns girls deserve an apology from you. It was quite a joy to watch them the first 2 games. Pretty good s*** I would say.

Is there info available somewhere for AFLW that FootyWire provides for AFL matches (age, experience,...)?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back