Preview AFLW R3 v Brisbane @ Metricon 4:10pm Feb 22 2020

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Coming off our first ever win and a great crowd at Metricon, can we do it again? The top ladder position in Conference A is up for grabs for the winner of this one and it's the first ever women's QClash!

How are we feeling about this one? Will Kitara Whap-Farrar be available to debut for this one or still a week away?

Mini GF

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
Southern GC-the beautiful city
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Brisbane have had two very impressive wins so I’m not confident but if our girls find a way then it will be so sweet.
I’m staying out of change speculation as am still getting to know the team.
As an aside-The Coach as a bloke has impressed me no end. He seems to have a fantastic relationship with the players and Staff.

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
Brisbane have had two very impressive wins so I’m not confident but if our girls find a way then it will be so sweet.
I’m staying out of change speculation as am still getting to know the team.
As an aside-The Coach as a bloke has impressed me no end. He seems to have a fantastic relationship with the players and Staff.
exactly! He is a relationship coach and knows the players well as he has been with queensland footy for a while. Jaq Yorston has said multiple times, he is the reason why she moved to the Suns! We could have gone the easy option to get a big name like Bec Goddard but used our head to get someone who knows Queensland Footy well and has a good relationship with players like Lakie!

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
So I estimate we only need to win this one by about eight points to steal Brisbane's top position on the ladder:

Example A: Suns 8 def. Lions 0 (Percentages: Suns - 158%, Lions - 148%)
Example B: Suns 16 def. Lions 8 (Percentages: Suns - 146%, Lions - 142%)
Example C: Suns 24 def. Lions 16 (Percentages: Suns - 144%, Lions - 136%)
Example D: Suns 32 def. Lions 24 (Percentages: Suns - 132.7%, Lions - 132.8%)

As long as it's not a high scoring affair, an eight point victory should place us on top of Conference A (for at least 24 hours). Although that may be a problem considering the Lions are averaging 36.5 points per game so far this season. This will definitely be Lauren Ahrens' biggest test of the season trying to keep Jesse Wardlaw quiet and I believe it's the key match up of this game. If we stop Wardlaw, we should win IMO. Fingers crossed Ahrens towels her up!

Last edited:

Mt Isa Mustang

Cancelled
Dream Team Club Board Winner
Nov 23, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
So I estimate we only need to win this one by about eight points to steal Brisbane's top position on the ladder:

Example A: Suns 8 def. Lions 0 (Percentages: Suns - 158%, Lions - 148%)
Example B: Suns 16 def. Lions 8 (Percentages: Suns - 146%, Lions - 142%)
Example C: Suns 24 def. Lions 16 (Percentages: Suns - 144%, Lions - 136%)
Example D: Suns 32 def. Lions 24 (Percentages: Suns - 132.7%, Lions - 132.8%)

As long as it's not a high scoring affair, an eight point victory should place us on top of Conference A (for at least 24 hours). Although that may be a problem considering the Lions are averaging 36.5 points per game so far this season. This will definitely be Lauren Ahrens' biggest test of the season trying to keep Jesse Wardlaw quiet and I believe it's the key match up of this game. If we stop Wardlaw, we should win IMO. Fingers crossed Ahrens towels her up!
NM should have a big win

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Game day!

Might be blind optimism speaking here but I'm feeling good about this one (like last week) and so excited to see that the girls can move to the top of the ladder with a win today. Interested to see how Thorn goes today. She has been the emergency the last two weeks so I'm sure she'll be keen to perform and keep her spot in the team. I thought she performed really well in the preseason game against St Kilda at Southport so I'm hoping she can put forward a similar performance today. She'll probably be required to help Ahrens contain Wardlaw today and obviously that's a huge matchup so I'm hoping Thorn and Ahrens both play well today because I think it'll go a long way to us securing another W. Would have been nice to see Farrar-Whap debut today as well but that's coming next week. Go girls!

The crowd should be interesting today. Especially considering we are going head-to-head with the NRL All Stars game at Robina tonight.

Last edited:

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast

Very unusual circumstances and I hope he's okay!

Interesting to see Gold Coaster Dan Merrett gets a chance to fill in as the head coach as a result. I wonder if it will affect Brisbane's game plan by not having Starce?

Mt Isa Mustang

Cancelled
Nov 23, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast

Generally there are a series of tests done when admitted to hospital, seems a bit unnecessary to say that. Especially results to be confirmed part, like they are the starcevich family / hospital official voice.

Hopefully he isn't too unwell.

Mt Isa Mustang

Cancelled
Nov 23, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
They've always got 2-3 spare behind the ball. Our girls pushing up to the contest but not using it with composure

Howarth showing her x-factor there. Glad we could get a few on the scoreboard. Need to stay close here.

Ahrens and Pregelj are rocks down back

Too many girls falling to their knees - keep your feet!

Mt Isa Mustang

Cancelled
Nov 23, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Classic example there.
Surman dove on the ball, tackled, couldn't get it out, holding the ball.

Didn't need to leave her feet.

Agree with the comments about a forward tag on Kate Lutkins, killing our ball movement out of defence.

Mini GF

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
Southern GC-the beautiful city
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Two questions for people who’ve followed AFLW over the years because I never have as we haven’t had a team till now
1-was Sam Virgo ever any good? Three games in and I now see her as a liability.

2-how in gods name was Cool Hand Lauren Ahrens never drafted? She’s outstanding.

Back