Preview AFLW R3 v Brisbane @ Metricon 4:10pm Feb 22 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Saw the first 3 quarters.

My best players in that time

Howarth, Ahrens, Pregelj, Dunn

Surman didn't do a huge amount early so must have had heaps of it in the last to finish as our highest possession getter

The forward line looks collectively dangerous
Goals this season

Perry 3, Howarth 3, Surman 2, Stanton 1, Yorsten 1,

Parker got speed but zero game awareness.
I would be playing someone else I reckon.

IMO a few girls are played out of position and she is one of them.. but it’s hard to judge as it’s only an 8 game season so until we get that core group of girls who have played together for a couple of years it’ll be hard to gauge whereas the vic teams play in the vfl to get that continuity!
Pity we couldn’t field a qafl side just to get a core group together

IMO a few girls are played out of position and she is one of them.. but it’s hard to judge as it’s only an 8 game season so until we get that core group of girls who have played together for a couple of years it’ll be hard to gauge whereas the vic teams play in the vfl to get that continuity!
Pity we couldn’t field a qafl side just to get a core group together

I really liked Parker last week. Today wasn’t so good for her. She’s pretty new to AFL and is a pure athlete that suits the Lake Suns game plan.

I was at the game. A bit disappointed that more people did not turn out.

Regarding the game, I was very disappointed and frustrated by the first half. It almost looked for whatever reason girls did not show up. The intensity lacking, turnover after turnover. Some kicks in were ridiculous, straight to Lions players.

Then after half time it was like a different team show up. The last quarter was a total domination. We had a couple of opportunities to score that golden one point :)

Remember that tonight you had to pay
I was at the game. A bit disappointed that more people did not turn out.

Regarding the game, I as very disappointed and frustrated by the first half. It almost looked for whatever reason girls did not show up. The intensity lacking, turnover after turnover. Some kicks in were ridiculous, straight to Lions players.

Then after half time it was like a different team show up. The last quarter was a total domination. We had a couple of opportunities to score that golden one point :)
Maybe because non members had to pay?
I must admit it feels like a loss particularly when we had our chances late to get the win and that I know we were capable of beating Brisbane. I just really hope this isn’t the game between us making finals and missing out!

Did anyone else notice that when that Brisbane player went down, the clock kept ticking down. Was about 3-4 minutes into the final quarter.

That cost us a minute lost on the clock.

Also, what are peoples opinions on the last touch rule?

Did anyone else notice that when that Brisbane player went down, the clock kept ticking down. Was about 3-4 minutes into the final quarter.

Yes, clock kept ticking - one and half min gone there. I don't mind the last touch rule - in most cases works fine.

When the game was tied, one moment creeps into my mind - I forgot which player had a kick at a goal inside 50 - she should go for it, torpedo or kick as far as she could, then have players close to goal line to get it over. It seemed so obvious choice. Instead she tried to kick it to someone. I am sure they will learn. It was a great comeback after holding by a thread in the first half.

Remember that tonight you had to pay

Maybe because non members had to pay?
I must admit it feels like a loss particularly when we had our chances late to get the win and that I know we were capable of beating Brisbane. I just really hope this isn’t the game between us making finals and missing out!
It should also be noted that the NRL hosted an All Stars match just down the road at Robina last night and that pulled a crowd of 23,599 so that was probably a big factor behind our crowds being a bit smaller yesterday. I'm not saying we would have had 20k+ at our game had the NRL All Stars game not been on but I do think there are a few thousand casual sports fans on the Gold Coast who are willing to go to either AFL or NRL matches depending on what's on and those fans will always prioritise an All Stars match over an AFLW game/AFL preseason game.

I read something yesterday about being time on in the last 2 minutes of the quarter or something like that..

Last touch rule is rubbish, they bought that in to try to reduce the congestion at the stoppage but imo half of the congestion is the umpires fault they let it bobble around in packs or on the ground for too long they need to just blow the whistle and throw it up

I read something yesterday about being time on in the last 2 minutes of the quarter or something like that..

Last touch rule is rubbish, they bought that in to try to reduce the congestion at the stoppage but imo half of the congestion is the umpires fault they let it bobble around in packs or on the ground for too long they need to just blow the whistle and throw it up
The problem with the last touch rule is that it is interpreted differently and the communications between the umpires is way off.

I coach U10s and we have the last touch rule but the ball hardly ever goes out towards the boundary. I instruct my players to let the ball go out if it is from the oppositions kick but one of the girls did it yesterday and was paid as deliberate?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

really enjoying watching the girls play, a lot more than i would have initially thought based on some of the predictions here saying we'd never win a game this season. they really crack in and provide a good contest! would have been great to come away with the win, they probably deserved it based on the last half but overall was a decent game.

Yes, clock kept ticking - one and half min gone there. I don't mind the last touch rule - in most cases works fine.

When the game was tied, one moment creeps into my mind - I forgot which player had a kick at a goal inside 50 - she should go for it, torpedo or kick as far as she could, then have players close to goal line to get it over. It seemed so obvious choice. Instead she tried to kick it to someone. I am sure they will learn. It was a great comeback after holding by a thread in the first half.

Yep now that I’ve slept on it I’m a bit grumpy about three things.
1-Surman had that kick and should have pumped it at the right hand point post given she didn’t have the distance for the goals.
2-Kaslar was right to go back on and she could’ve been the difference with her tenacity even if she was just put in the forward pocket.
3-Howarth even the scores at 28-28 having personally scored 70% of our points with only 4mins left and she gets taken off and then can’t return.

really enjoying watching the girls play, a lot more than i would have initially thought based on some of the predictions here saying we'd never win a game this season. they really crack in and provide a good contest! would have been great to come away with the win, they probably deserved it based on the last half but overall was a decent game.

The biggest issue MOST people make is they compare it to the men’s AFL.. it’s easy to sit there and pick out low scoring and the skills ect but if you take it for what it is as a pure contest then it’s not that bad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back