Game Day AFLW R4 2019: Crows vs Freo @Marrara Oval (9:05pm 23/2/19)

Remove this Banner Ad

treeman

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 19, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Crows
If AFLW started 18 years ago I'd like to think that a marquee AFLW player would be earning closer to 140k than 50k.

Exactly what I was thinking but was too lazy to write it.

AFLW is so much better than AFLX, but the AFL doesn't care about it.
If it were marketed to the extent they did with AFLX there would be a lot more people watching and going to the games.

Mar 23, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
We can absolutely beat North. Freo were undefeated and we crushed them. If we'd kicked straighter could have been an 8-10 goal win.

We got Noff, Randall and Philips star power! We got a bunch of other solid players and some serious improvement/talent in this year - Scheer, Hatchard, Stevie-Lee, Jones, Foley, all having a great year. I think we're better than North, they won't know what hit them.

Feb 3, 2004
in a happy place
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
panthers, ukraine & broncos
Exactly what I was thinking but was too lazy to write it.

AFLW is so much better than AFLX, but the AFL doesn't care about it.
If it were marketed to the extent they did with AFLX there would be a lot more people watching and going to the games.

And the AFL goes and shoots themselves in the foot with their tweet this weekend about the increase in participation across Australia with another increase in women and girls playing footy by 14%. Pretty much all the replies to the tweet was why did you put money into AFLX then instead of into the growth area that has shown it's a huge increase for local clubs? Idiots (the AFL, of course).

Feb 3, 2004
in a happy place
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
What did Collingwood do with their women to make them so unhappy? You'd think they'd be in the best position to give their women the best off-field support possible, especially compared to North, who basically run off the smell of an oily rag.

Have you watched their games? They have not evolved at all over the three years. They still try to play the same outdated game plan. It seems they do some nice off-field stuff that gets them publicity, but the actual work that is needed to improve and win, hasn't happened.

Feb 3, 2004
in a happy place
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
We can absolutely beat North. Freo were undefeated and we crushed them. If we'd kicked straighter could have been an 8-10 goal win.

We got Noff, Randall and Philips star power! We got a bunch of other solid players and some serious improvement/talent in this year - Scheer, Hatchard, Stevie-Lee, Jones, Foley, all having a great year. I think we're better than North, they won't know what hit them.

You missed the best full back in the league in Sarah Allen. Also I would put Hatchard into the star column with her consistency of performance this season. Outstanding from Hatchy.

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Have you watched their games? They have not evolved at all over the three years. They still try to play the same outdated game plan. It seems they do some nice off-field stuff that gets them publicity, but the actual work that is needed to improve and win, hasn't happened.
Not really. I generally watch the Crows and then bit of other games if I happen to be channel surfing at the time.

Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide
You missed the best full back in the league in Sarah Allen. Also I would put Hatchard into the star column with her consistency of performance this season. Outstanding from Hatchy.

Allan and Hatchard both still extremely young, too. All going well we should get another decade or more out of Allan, Hatchard, Marinoff and Scheer, going to form a pretty handy spine :thumbsu:

the universal

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 20, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide

They're very difficult to watch - they've fallen behind much of the rest of the pack in just about all facets. Makes me feel somewhat concerned about the new teams coming in next season.

Not really. I generally watch the Crows and then bit of other games if I happen to be channel surfing at the time.

We'd beat them by 10+ goals minimum even if we didn't kick straight.

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Is it Allen or Allan? I can never seem to remember!
We have a really strong spine with Sarah and Randall down back and Jones and Phillips up forward.
Throw in Marinoff, Scheer and Hatchard in the midfield mix, and it’s a very comforting thought!

Feb 3, 2004
in a happy place
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Is it Allen or Allan? I can never seem to remember!
We have a really strong spine with Sarah and Randall down back and Jones and Phillips up forward.
Throw in Marinoff, Scheer and Hatchard in the midfield mix, and it’s a very comforting thought!

It's Allan. I misspelled!

Mar 23, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Aw yeah! She's kicked butt. Marks everything that's come near her and can kick properly too.

Hatchard is very good this year, does 4 A-grade games mean she's a rolled gold star? Eh, why not? She keeps it up all season I'll put her on the list!

marvin

Premiership Player
Oct 24, 2000
Tired old hack in Melb
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide

Hatchard has been wonderful.

There's a little bit of the Ben Hart's about Allan. Very, very solid defensively one-on-one. If the ball is in the air she's a very real chance of marking it; if the ball hits the ground, she's a monty to clear it. The way she can grab possession when seemingly under pressure, use a subtle sidestep to create space, and then hit a target is very much like Hart. Almost as much as the bright white legs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

spexau

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 25, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
The thing that has surprised me about Allan is her speed. She's almost always taller AND faster than her opponent. Nothing seems to faze her either, really cool customer. I agree that Hart is a good analogy.
She never looks like she's moving fast but at the same time never looks like getting caught.

Feb 3, 2004
in a happy place
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Hatchard has been wonderful.

There's a little bit of the Ben Hart's about Allan. Very, very solid defensively one-on-one. If the ball is in the air she's a very real chance of marking it; if the ball hits the ground, she's a monty to clear it. The way she can grab possession when seemingly under pressure, use a subtle sidestep to create space, and then hit a target is very much like Hart. Almost as much as the bright white legs.

She plays like her coach as well - Caven.

What I like best is that she waits for that right option and she is quick and evasive enough to ensure she has the time and space to make the right decision. It doesn't show up on the tv as well as it does at the ground.

Nov 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LIVFC
https://womens.afl/news/16816/two-cats-suspended-as-mro-lays-seven-charges
Adelaide's Dayna Cox was charged with engaging in rough conduct against Docker Ashlee Atkins in the third quarter of the match in Darwin on Saturday night, and can accept a reprimand with an early plea.

was that from when that Docker was found on the ground holding her gut and came off for a while? They showed no replay during the game

For some reason the first thing that I thought was Dayna Cox

Remove this Banner Ad

Back