Game Day AFLW R5 2019: Crows v Kangas @Avalon Airport Oval (3/3/9 3:35pm)

Remove this Banner Ad

Not only was the train to Werribee half down on the weekend with bus replacements, but there was an airshow down at Lara that got an expected 200,000 people over the weekend - so the freeway was pretty chockas and the trains were down

Any time you plan an event you should always check and see what other things are on in the same area that will impact. I know this from running National Championships. It's basic event planning.

Its a pain to get there, I live 10 minutes walk from Arden st but to get to the game it is 40 minutes by car or over a hour by public transport. North are currently redeveloping Arden st so hopefully once they finish that they will have the AFLW there.
40 minutes by car? Oh no! :rolleyes: Not having a go at you, just those generally complaining about how long it's going to take them to get to. I wouldn't think 40 minutes is too long. 1.5-2 hours I sort of get. But if you really want to watch it, you'll just do it won't you? I had people who wouldn't drive the hour down to see the AFLW Grand Final. It was the FIRST EVER Grand Final. How could you not? I guess when you are used to travelling distances every day for work, you don't mind doing it for footy.

Jones at the end. Hory Sheeet.
Just watched that play. Not surprised. Very natural footballer. If she can continue to put herself in places to make a play with the ball in hand she will do some damage.

The best news is we look like a team with gun's all over the ground now, and although we still play through Phillips, she's not the entire team anymore.

1) Randal is a machine at CHB, and not only can she intercept anything she wants at will, but she can also defend. Rance and Lever could learn a lot from watching her.
2) Also like Rajcic a lot as a defender
3) Noffy is just a bull, but i'm glad Doc has pushed her to work on her balance. Its made her into a better players
4) Hatchard has got to be the most improved player in the comp or there abouts
5) Then up forward you have Ponter, Jones and Stevie Lee who all look a class above

That says nothing for Sheers, Foley and Allen who are all well above average players in their own right, but are probably still a year off really dominating games.

This has to be concerning to the AFL - JLT North v Saints at Avalon Airport Oval on Saturday - the crowd was 1596. North v Crows in the AFLW on Sunday - the crowd was 2100. Sounded like most of the crowd was Crows supporters too.

I've been thinking about this, NikkiNoo. I think the venues tell a fairly complete story this year.

Whitten Oval (8km from CBD, club's spiritual home): WB v Geelong 8612, WB v Brisbane 6541
Princes Park (5km from CBD, club's spiritual home): Carlton v Adelaide 3150; Carlton v Collingwood 3215
Victoria Park (4km from CBD, club's spiritual home): Coll v Melbourne 7228
Kardinia Park: Geelong v Collingwood 18429, Geelong v Carlton 7060.
Casey Fields (55 km from CBD): Melb v Freo 1800; Melb v Kangaroos 4227.
Avalon Airport Oval (35 km from CBD): Kangas v Adelaide 2100.

Last years comparison:
Princes Park: Carl v Coll 19852, Carl v Bris 6200, Carl v Melb 6300
Casey Fields: Melb v GWS 5100 Melb v Adel 3800, Melb v Bris 2100
Whitten Oval: WB v Freo 8500, WB v Carlton 8987, WB v Melb 7593
Olympic Park Oval (3km from CBD) Coll v GWS 3600, Coll v Adel 2300

The pretty clear message is that the more the AFLW can get games on traditional suburban club ovals, the better. WB have averaged 7-8000 for all their home games. Geelong look like they can draw good crowds at Kardinia Park (small sample size). Collingwood supporters would much rather go to Victoria Park than their training oval (which has a max capacity about 4000 anyway. Carlton drew good crowds to Princes Park until this year. And we've had good attendances at Thebarton and Norwood.

Meanwhile, the crowds for the pack some lunch and top up the petrol games at Werribee and Casey are lagging. Both are further from Melbourne than Noarlunga is from Adelaide.

The big question for the AFLW is where the Carlton fans have gone.

I've been thinking about this, NikkiNoo. I think the venues tell a fairly complete story this year.

Whitten Oval (8km from CBD, club's spiritual home): WB v Geelong 8612, WB v Brisbane 6541
Princes Park (5km from CBD, club's spiritual home): Carlton v Adelaide 3150; Carlton v Collingwood 3215
Victoria Park (4km from CBD, club's spiritual home): Coll v Melbourne 7228
Kardinia Park: Geelong v Collingwood 18429, Geelong v Carlton 7060.
Casey Fields (55 km from CBD): Melb v Freo 1800; Melb v Kangaroos 4227.
Avalon Airport Oval (35 km from CBD): Kangas v Adelaide 2100.

Last years comparison:
Princes Park: Carl v Coll 19852, Carl v Bris 6200, Carl v Melb 6300
Casey Fields: Melb v GWS 5100 Melb v Adel 3800, Melb v Bris 2100
Whitten Oval: WB v Freo 8500, WB v Carlton 8987, WB v Melb 7593
Olympic Park Oval (3km from CBD) Coll v GWS 3600, Coll v Adel 2300

The pretty clear message is that the more the AFLW can get games on traditional suburban club ovals, the better. WB have averaged 7-8000 for all their home games. Geelong look like they can draw good crowds at Kardinia Park (small sample size). Collingwood supporters would much rather go to Victoria Park than their training oval (which has a max capacity about 4000 anyway. Carlton drew good crowds to Princes Park until this year. And we've had good attendances at Thebarton and Norwood.

Meanwhile, the crowds for the pack some lunch and top up the petrol games at Werribee and Casey are lagging. Both are further from Melbourne than Noarlunga is from Adelaide.

Another thing that needs to be considered in this analysis is when the games were on and what the temperatures were like. That affects if parents are going to take their kids along or not.

I think the easy answer to that last question is the style of game they have played is not attractive, and they are not winning with it. Very interesting considering they still get people out to watch their men's team ;)

The votes are in for the game from the coaches

9 - Randall (vote split was 5 & 4)
7 - Phillips (vote split was 4 & 3)
5 - Kearney (only 1 coach voted her best on ground)
3 - Duffin
3 - Jess Foley
3 - Ebony Marinoff

So out of those that got 3 votes, one of them got three votes and the other 2 got 1 and 2 votes from opposite coaches. Very interesting that only one coach gave Kearney the full marks. She got 31 possessions, but I got the feeling we really restricted her impact with those possessions and where she was able to get them.

3 - Duffin
3 - Jess Foley
3 - Ebony Marinoff

So out of those that got 3 votes, one of them got three votes and the other 2 got 1 and 2 votes from opposite coaches. Very interesting that only one coach gave Kearney the full marks. She got 31 possessions, but I got the feeling we really restricted her impact with those possessions and where she was able to get them.

Or did Kearney get 4 & 1??

Nothing on AFLCA says the breakdown.

https://www.aflca.com.au/awards/aflw-champion-player-of-the-year-award/leaderboard/2019

1551680647414.png

looks like Erin is a shoe-in again.

Another thing that needs to be considered in this analysis is when the games were on and what the temperatures were like. That affects if parents are going to take their kids along or not.

True - weather in games has varied from nearly perfect for a summer afternoon (Carlton v Adelaide) to get the hell off he field, this storm is dangerous (Melbourne v Brisbane in 2017).

I think the easy answer to that last question is the style of game they have played is not attractive, and they are not winning with it. Very interesting considering they still get people out to watch their men's team ;)

And yet they are in the box seat to qualify out from Conference B! Anyway, I don't know how a game plan that seems to be scrubbing as bad a kick as you can to Darcy Veschio and hope she can beat 3 defenders to do something magical is unattractive footy ;).

BTW, Carlton fans of the men's team have given up too. Their attendance is down 30% since last time they made the finals.

True - weather in games has varied from nearly perfect for a summer afternoon (Carlton v Adelaide) to get the hell off he field, this storm is dangerous (Melbourne v Brisbane in 2017).

And yet they are in the box seat to qualify out from Conference B! Anyway, I don't know how a game plan that seems to be scrubbing as bad a kick as you can to Darcy Veschio and hope she can beat 3 defenders to do something magical is unattractive footy ;).

BTW, Carlton fans of the men's team have given up too. Their attendance is down 30% since last time they made the finals.

I was told that the tv ratings for the first two seasons were excellent in the first and second rounds and then plummeted in the third round. Huge plummet. I think that an analysis needs to be done there on when were those games scheduled and what other things were they then competing against. Did the crowds pick up or drop off in round three too? There are lots of factors to consider in trying to do analysis.

My recent uni studies included a lot of audience studies of media, so this is kinda my thing :)

Or did Kearney get 4 & 1??

Nothing on AFLCA says the breakdown.

https://www.aflca.com.au/awards/aflw-champion-player-of-the-year-award/leaderboard/2019

View attachment 629128

looks like Erin is a shoe-in again.

Me and maths sometimes never agree ;) It's interesting to think that one coach in this instance possibly rated two North players versus one that only rated one the worst of the best. That also means that one coach only gave Phillips a 2 and I don't think that is likely, especially in light of what the North coach, Scott Gowans, said after the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Princes Park is a 5-10 min bike ride from anywhere in the inner north - young 25-35 single central if Melbourne - a huge percentage of Carlton's games at Princes Park have been neutrals/women's footy fans

Collingwood will have it's numbers boosted at Vic Park for a similar reason

Me and maths sometimes never agree ;) It's interesting to think that one coach in this instance possibly rated two North players versus one that only rated one the worst of the best. That also means that one coach only gave Phillips a 2 and I don't think that is likely, especially in light of what the North coach, Scott Gowans, said after the game.

Learnings here, learnings there.... LEARNINGS everywhere. ;)

Princes Park is a 5-10 min bike ride from anywhere in the inner north - young 25-35 single central if Melbourne - a huge percentage of Carlton's games at Princes Park have been neutrals/women's footy fans

Collingwood will have it's numbers boosted at Vic Park for a similar reason

Absolutely true. We had to drive to the Carlton - Adelaide game and easily found a park within 100 m of the ground. Lots of genuine locals at the games.

I was told that the tv ratings for the first two seasons were excellent in the first and second rounds and then plummeted in the third round. Huge plummet. I think that an analysis needs to be done there on when were those games scheduled and what other things were they then competing against. Did the crowds pick up or drop off in round three too? There are lots of factors to consider in trying to do analysis.

My recent uni studies included a lot of audience studies of media, so this is kinda my thing :)

There's no doubt there was a massive curiosity factor at the start of season one (hence the lockout on night one), which probably abated in TV ratings after a few weeks. The crowds didn't really drop though thought 2017. Bulldogs played at home the first 4 rounds in 2017 and had crowds of 10100, 8000 and 6733. Adelaide had 9000 plus in both Rounds 1 and 3 and 12000 in round 6. Crowds at Princes Park post the lockout were pretty consistent - 7884 (round 2), 6916 (Collingwood v Melbourne round 2 which was moved from the Collingwood training ground due to the expected crowd), 6833 (round 5) and 5801 (round 7).

It was similar last year. WB held their crowds together - 8500 (round 1), 8987 (round 4), 7593 (round 7). Carlton had nearly 20k for the opener, then 6200 (round 3) and 6300 (round 6).

So overall it doesn't look like there was a plummet in attendances in Round 3 to match the fall in ratings.

One thing that did change in Round 3 in 2017 was they started games at all sorts of weird times. So while Round 1 games were all late afternoon and evening starts, Round 3 saw a 12:05am and an 11:35am start. Round 4 had an 11:35am and Round 5 had a 10:35am and an 11:35 am start. Round 6 had a 10:05 am start! Hard to convince people to watch a game of footy on tv when they are thinking about grabbing a coffee and walking the dog

And by 'coffee and learnings' does she mean, we will look to buy more players this offseason?

3 - Duffin
3 - Jess Foley
3 - Ebony Marinoff

Think the 3 girls up front in Jones, Ponter and Stevie Lee were a bit stiff here. They were uncontainable!

And by 'coffee and learnings' does she mean, we will look to buy more players this offseason?

He ;). Plus I suppose being that close to Lygon street, they are all about the coffee.

Honestly, they need to get fitter. They did buy a good number of players, but they are tall in the backlines and up forward mostly, whereas we are more a mix. If you have a faster, dynamic, and smallish forward line like we did (who are also all strong in the upper body), that creates an issue for North.

He ;). Plus I suppose being that close to Lygon street, they are all about the coffee.

Honestly, they need to get fitter. They did buy a good number of players, but they are tall in the backlines and up forward mostly, whereas we are more a mix. If you have a faster, dynamic, and smallish forward line like we did (who are also all strong in the upper body), that creates an issue for North.
If that game went on another 10 minutes I think we score 6 more goals. Our speed and fitness was 2 steps above. And the 3 girls up forward had them for clean ball use too (and that doesn't even include the league MVP).

They could hang with us for a half, but as the game wore on they fell well behind the curve. Very 2018 Richmond-esk from the men's comp actually!

Not sure i totally agree with this. I think one of the reasons she is so much better is because of the skills she picked up playing basketball at such a high level, her hands are very good, movement in traffic and the way she can position her body to her advantage.

She was a few Years ahead of me at SMOSH. She was better then the boys then, and won association medals against them. John Cahill once said she was the best Junior footballer he'd ever seen. Couldn't imagine how good she would be if she never stopped playing footy (wasn't allowed to play after u/13) Shes that much better then every player in the league its almost unfair - IMO the difference is akin to Fyfe or Danger playing in the NEAFL all year.

There's no doubt there was a massive curiosity factor at the start of season one (hence the lockout on night one), which probably abated in TV ratings after a few weeks. The crowds didn't really drop though thought 2017. Bulldogs played at home the first 4 rounds in 2017 and had crowds of 10100, 8000 and 6733. Adelaide had 9000 plus in both Rounds 1 and 3 and 12000 in round 6. Crowds at Princes Park post the lockout were pretty consistent - 7884 (round 2), 6916 (Collingwood v Melbourne round 2 which was moved from the Collingwood training ground due to the expected crowd), 6833 (round 5) and 5801 (round 7).

It was similar last year. WB held their crowds together - 8500 (round 1), 8987 (round 4), 7593 (round 7). Carlton had nearly 20k for the opener, then 6200 (round 3) and 6300 (round 6).

So overall it doesn't look like there was a plummet in attendances in Round 3 to match the fall in ratings.

One thing that did change in Round 3 in 2017 was they started games at all sorts of weird times. So while Round 1 games were all late afternoon and evening starts, Round 3 saw a 12:05am and an 11:35am start. Round 4 had an 11:35am and Round 5 had a 10:35am and an 11:35 am start. Round 6 had a 10:05 am start! Hard to convince people to watch a game of footy on tv when they are thinking about grabbing a coffee and walking the dog

Thanks for this. It was as I suspected that there was more to do with their shitty scheduling. It might be that Channel 7 is using that raw data without the context for refusing to show it on the free to air channel and bumping it to 7 mate in spite of what they originally promised.

That impacts on teams being able to attract good sponsors to help them run good teams and improve the competition.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back