Game Day AFLW R5 2019: Crows v Kangas @Avalon Airport Oval (3/3/9 3:35pm)

Remove this Banner Ad

Or you know, balanced commentary would be alright.

balanced commentary with an actual understanding of football would be very welcome. The consistent bad calls showing a lack of footy nous (or knowing the rules - which the men's commentators are just as bad at) is so infuriating.

balanced commentary with an actual understanding of football would be very welcome. The consistent bad calls showing a lack of footy nous (or knowing the rules - which the men's commentators are just as bad at) is so infuriating.

Oh yeah, the men's commentators are no better. They stink too. You only have to look at soccer commentary to see much improved approach to it. Far less false familiarity and matey blokey bs.

I'm not to fussed if there is a bit of bias but i agree bit of understand from the commentators would be nice.
Kate Sheehan is shocking, contradicts herself all the time, has certain points she just flogs to death, and at times seems like she just talks for the sake of getting her voice on the TV.
Having said that there are some quite good commentators (although maybe not as polished as you would like)

Are you all children wanting praise from Mummy? If you don't like the commentary, turn it off and watch in silence, or do your own commentary. God, Roo makes me cringe when he's on Crows' matches.

I think that because they are new teams, not many people know the players and therefore listen to the commentary to find out about who everyone is.

Oh yeah, add BT to that lot and it would be like Bird Box movie, people would be running in front of cars and into walls.

I reckon the umpires played a hand in all of North’s goals. We could have and deserve to be in a much stronger lead.

These umps are making the game a laughing stock. Do the AFL bosses want to attract more fans? Or attract more idiots who don’t understand the rules of footy?!

B.

People can say what they like about Bruce McAvaney but somebody like him would have really provided a much better viewing experience. You dont have to be an expert in footy. Its nice to have a balance though.

I'm not to fussed if there is a bit of bias but i agree bit of understand from the commentators would be nice.
Kate Sheehan is shocking, contradicts herself all the time, has certain points she just flogs to death, and at times seems like she just talks for the sake of getting her voice on the TV.
Having said that there are some quite good commentators (although maybe not as polished as you would like)
Compare the commentary from our game versus Adam Papilia in the Freo/dogs game. He's a very good commentator and calls the game and while he is a WA guy, he gets excited by good play from their opponents too.

I'm still laughing that Sheehan is the Director of Women's Footy at Richmond. She continually shows she has no idea. I fear for their team.

Only saw the last quarter, but our fitness and ball movement look to be competition leading. Doc Clarke seems to be doing a great job.

That mark and centering kick from Jones right at the end...wow.

Real opportunity to go deep into the finals now. If we win it again this year, watch the AFL step in and send a bunch of our players to the new teams.

I liked Randall in the commentary box in last night's game too.

Oh yeah, the men's commentators are no better. They stink too. You only have to look at soccer commentary to see much improved approach to it. Far less false familiarity and matey blokey bs.
It's so simple with soccer - one play-by-play caller then one ex-player who does a bit of analysis. That's it. The game is the star of the show - not a gang of buffoons in the commentary box trying to outdo each other

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Compare the commentary from our game versus Adam Papilia in the Freo/dogs game. He's a very good commentator and calls the game and while he is a WA guy, he gets excited by good play from their opponents too.

I'm still laughing that Sheehan is the Director of Women's Footy at Richmond. She continually shows she has no idea. I fear for their team.
Yeah was stark contrast. Papilla did his job of just calling the action without to much fluff and the special comments just had their say when needed just making a quick points.

A lot of laughs in this presser. Love Clarke's reaction when Jess is asked about the double 50 penalty.

I like his quote "the key to good coaching is to have good players". He obviously can see the talent the team has, and he doesn't need to do too much overthinking. Just give the girls a good solid team plan, and let them work their magic.

Coincidentally, what the girls blue print this year seems very close to the style of the men's from 2017. Tight on the team defense, and quick on the rebound. We've been doing this all year, even the first round loss. The team is playing very solid footy, and the best part is that we seem to be thriving every week!

Special mention to my love for watching the 2-prong speedsters - Ponter and Thompson. Love this duo! Going back on the 2017 reference, anyone have flashbacks of the Cameron and Betts duo acts?

Erin could play with the men without blinking.
Some people might laugh at this comment. But imagine Erin actually playing footy all her sporting life, instead of basketball. Her skills and toughness would be unimaginable in the current AFLW system!

Just saw the highlights and that handball was special.
Was that Ponter when she was on the deck to SLT? Was an excellent handball. Our recruiting has been first class. Bunch of the new girls are natural footballers and it shows. Very different from Season 1 where we had a few naturals carrying us and a bunch of athletes. Training has to be credited as well.

Was that Ponter when she was on the deck to SLT? Was an excellent handball. Our recruiting has been first class. Bunch of the new girls are natural footballers and it shows. Very different from Season 1 where we had a few naturals carrying us and a bunch of athletes. Training has to be credited as well.
Ponter is a cousin of Rioli's

That was fantastic from Ponter. Or it could have been Foley's sublime quick hands at 1:53. Very Hugh Greenwood like. My favourite play was Jones at the end.

Rounds 4 and 5 shaped up as season-defining for us, the only two undefeated teams in the comp after round 3 and we've trounced both of them. Very positive signs :thumbsu:

Having such a strong Q4 in both matches could turn out to be the difference between playing finals or not, or even having a home final. Really important to have built up that percentage like we have.

Now we move onto GWS... can't take any team lightly, obviously, but they're a bit back off the pace. If we can post a strong performance against them, it sets up a very interesting final round! Each of us, North, Freo and Melbourne would be expecting to win their round 6 match.

As for today's match, I actually missed the first half (have since watched it), spent last night sick as a dog and got in an extra few hours sleep this afternoon. My impression in the second half was that the umpiring was actually pretty good, haha. Chalk and cheese from the first half where they once again decided to ruin the contest with overzealous umpiring.

I know I say it every week, but how impressive Chelsea Randall? I just adore the way she goes about it, one of the genuine highlights of watching AFLW is just seeing her marshal that half back line. She's a bit like Phillips in that she's an absolute natural footballer, but also so much more athletic than most of the players around her. Love watching her play and another excellent match today. She'd have to be in the discussion for season MVP, surely?

Great to see Ponter back up her rising star nomination with another classy performance. She's got a great sidestep and you get the impression that she is the sort of player that flourishes when her confidence is up. Her and SLT as a speedy forward duo is working wonders.

Got to hand it to Matthew Clarke. I didn't think much of his appointment when it was announced last year, but the team is playing a very well-defined brand of football. He might joke about it being easy to coach when you have great players, but I think today's match showed the difference between a well-coached side, and a collection of great players ala NM. That's not a knock on NM, most of their players had never played together before this year. But it's a real tick for Clarke. The players seem to know exactly what their role is, the positional changes have all worked, and we've officially stamped ourselves as one of the genuine contenders this season.

Four more matches to go :thumbsu:

Last edited:
I miss the old days of Bruce and Dennis commentating.
Underwood isn't that much better, but since Sheehan is the main commentator, her incorrect comments bother me most. I also find her voice to be quite boring to listen to.

Great game.

North are pretty good, I was somewhat frustrated with their ability to do 2xlong kicks out of defence in a row to free leading players and then have it at half forward. Haven't seen that level of play from any team this year. Don't know if allowing that was a plan, because the final kick into the forward line was always to congestion. Not my favourite plan if that was the case. At any rate, they looked like scoring a lot, but didn't at all.

Found myself very frustrated with the umpiring. 50m penalties for the first 2x goals against. I felt vindicated with that random dude who was near the microphone in Q4 yelling "baaaaaaaaaaaalllll" which was not paid, and then North get one and "OH YOU SAW THAT DIDN'T YOU" comes out of his mouth. Gold.

Jones at the end. Hory Sheeet. Damn we've recruited well. Jones, Scheer, Ponter, all very new and gunnish. Couple it with the big step up from a couple of others, we could just about argue half the team should be in AA contention.

I know I say it every week, but how impressive Chelsea Randall? I just adore the way she goes about it, one of the genuine highlights of watching AFLW is just seeing her marshal that half back line. She's a bit like Phillips in that she's an absolute natural footballer, but also so much more athletic than most of the players around her. Love watching her play and another excellent match today. She'd have to be in the discussion for season MVP, surely?
She's a gun bucket. Was commenting that I don't know why opposition teams kick it anywhere near her, she gets it every time.

That Duffin player for North though. Wow. Was getting annoyed at us for kicking it anywhere near her! She's not as good as Randall though.

I miss the old days of Bruce and Dennis commentating.
Underwood isn't that much better, but since Sheehan is the main commentator, her incorrect comments bother me most. I also find her voice to be quite boring to listen to.
What was that comment near the end... something like "How is <North's Injured player> looking".

"She's looking good. I mean she went straight down the race with the doctors". How is that looking good at all? That's the opposite of things looking good!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back