Game Day AFLW R6 2019: Crows v Giants, Unley Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Went to the game today, my first AFLW game. Unley looked great and I know the council put a lot of work into the ground and the Sturt Football Club and it’s great group of volunteers put in heaps of time and work also. I hope these games get more people to appreciate what suburban grounds can offer as a day out for footy fans and especially young families where it’s more family and kid friendly as compared to AO. I thought it had a bit of a carnival atmosphere today.

The standard of footy was good, it’s a good atmosphere and I can’t help but think how good it is for young girls to have this as something to aspire to.
Really glad I went and any day watching my team win in a near full Unley Oval is a good day.

Went to the game today, my first AFLW game. Unley looked great and I know the council put a lot of work into the ground and the Sturt Football Club and it’s great group of volunteers put in heaps of time and work also. I hope these games get more people to appreciate what suburban grounds can offer as a day out for footy fans and especially young families where it’s more family and kid friendly as compared to AO. I thought it had a bit of a carnival atmosphere today.

The standard of footy was good, it’s a good atmosphere and I can’t help but think how good it is for young girls to have this as something to aspire to.
Really glad I went and any day watching my team win in a near full Unley Oval is a good day.
Likewise, took the fam. Was a great atmosphere and game.

On SM-G930F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Well done on attending :thumbsu: If anything, I'd say the standard today was down a bit (by design - GWS went defensive) until the last quarter, so you have even better spectacles to look forward to in future seasons :)

I agree, it's wonderful to see so many kids watching, especially little girls who now have something to aspire to on the footy field. I've got a little one-year-old daughter and I can't wait until she's old enough that I can take her along :blush:

The crowd was great today too, thought they might get 5000, but to get close to 8000 was excellent.

Wouldn't have been many Giants supporters there padding out the figures either. I had a cheeky look at the GWS board after the match and they don't even have a Gameday thread!
To be fair, they don't even have Game Day threads for their men's team

If we host the GF I think it will have to be standalone or after the men's game. They can't have it before the men's game because the women's games are free, and they won't want to have to 'clear the stadium'.
The GF is in round 2 isn't it? Port are playing Carlton on the Saturday and I don't think it's a good idea to use that as a double header. Could they play it on the Sunday?

If we host the GF I think it will have to be standalone or after the men's game. They can't have it before the men's game because the women's games are free, and they won't want to have to 'clear the stadium'.

the mens team play away in rd 2, if we get the chance to host a gf at Adelaide oval it have to be on a sunday. There's potential for semi-final doubleheader in rd 1, but I think you're right, as people could come to the women's game for free and then try to stay for the mens game.

Just caught the end of the replay. Another very nice win in the end, although GWS' negating tactics didn't make for great viewing game. We definitely have the scoring firepower to win it, so wouldn't be surprised if other teams tried to adopt something similar in the next few weeks. Hopefully today's experience will be helpful for players and coaching staff.

Also think some of our less well known players are starting to shine through - Hatchard seems to have improved with the move to the midfield, Sophie Li was involved in quite a few nice forward half plays and didn't think Nikki Gore was overawed for her debut match.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

She needs to decide on footy or soccer
Cant do both anymore
Her issue is she's a forward, but we have others now who are better. She would walk into most teams forwardlines.

As for hosting a GF, I'd like it to be at AO but would it be worth the SMA's while to do it ??

I'd also like us to keep the suburban feel to it, so Norwood or Unley it is depending on SANFL fixtures.

They are unlikely to do a doubleheader with a men's game for the final. They will charge for finals for the women, so it will be standalone. They played the previous GF's at the early time on Sat and none of the men's games started before 4 pm. They have stuffed up by scheduling port a home game at 4:40 pm on the Sat. Considering Nicole Stevenson was at Unley, I wonder if they are considering a final there, especially as it got the largest crowd.

Also, for all those having a go at Deni (who I thought while at the ground and then watching the replay was one of our best players) the club supplies who they consider to be one of the best players to be part of the post-match interview with the media. Seems the club doesn't agree that she was hopeless.

Just caught the end of the replay. Another very nice win in the end, although GWS' negating tactics didn't make for great viewing game. We definitely have the scoring firepower to win it, so wouldn't be surprised if other teams tried to adopt something similar in the next few weeks. Hopefully today's experience will be helpful for players and coaching staff.

Also think some of our less well known players are starting to shine through - Hatchard seems to have improved with the move to the midfield, Sophie Li was involved in quite a few nice forward half plays and didn't think Nikki Gore was overawed for her debut match.
Nikki was alright, she's a lot better with ball in hand normally. Still hit the contest hard.

The issues of the availability of AO for finals was discussed on Offsiders this morning. As I’m not aware of the rules around the formatting of finals I can’t really comment too much but what’s wrong with playing the GF at AO, (if they make it) on the Sunday after Port’s game. I’d think if we hosted a Prelim it’d be at Norwood.

The issues of the availability of AO for finals was discussed on Offsiders this morning. As I’m not aware of the rules around the formatting of finals I can’t really comment too much but what’s wrong with playing the GF at AO, (if they make it) on the Sunday after Port’s game. I’d think if we hosted a Prelim it’d be at Norwood.

The AFL have planned for the AFLW GF to be on the Saturday afternoon. Here is the schedule (Vic times)

Thursday, 28 March (7:20 pm) Richmond vs. Collingwood MCG

Friday, 29 March (7:50 pm) Sydney vs. Adelaide SCG

Saturday, 30 March (4:35 pm) Essendon vs. St Kilda Marvel Stadium
Saturday, 30 March (4:40 pm) Port Adelaide vs. Carlton Adelaide Oval
Saturday, 30 March (5:10 pm) West Coast vs. Greater Western Sydney Optus Stadium
Saturday, 30 March (7:25 pm) Geelong vs. Melbourne GMHBA Stadium

Sunday, 31 March (1:10 pm) North Melbourne vs. Brisbane Lions Marvel Stadium
Sunday, 31 March (3:20 pm) Hawthorn vs. Western Bulldogs MCG
Sunday, 31 March (3:40 pm) Gold Coast vs. Fremantle Metricon Stadium

As you can see there are no Saturday until after 4 pm so that early part of the day is for the AFLW GF. Just like they did last year. Bad programming considering what teams are in the AFLW.

The AFL have planned for the AFLW GF to be on the Saturday afternoon. Here is the schedule (Vic times)

Thursday, 28 March (7:20 pm) Richmond vs. Collingwood MCG

Friday, 29 March (7:50 pm) Sydney vs. Adelaide SCG

Saturday, 30 March (4:35 pm) Essendon vs. St Kilda Marvel Stadium
Saturday, 30 March (4:40 pm) Port Adelaide vs. Carlton Adelaide Oval
Saturday, 30 March (5:10 pm) West Coast vs. Greater Western Sydney Optus Stadium
Saturday, 30 March (7:25 pm) Geelong vs. Melbourne GMHBA Stadium

Sunday, 31 March (1:10 pm) North Melbourne vs. Brisbane Lions Marvel Stadium
Sunday, 31 March (3:20 pm) Hawthorn vs. Western Bulldogs MCG
Sunday, 31 March (3:40 pm) Gold Coast vs. Fremantle Metricon Stadium

As you can see there are no Saturday until after 4 pm so that early part of the day is for the AFLW GF. Just like they did last year. Bad programming considering what teams are in the AFLW.
The AFL have a great knack of backing themselves into a corner.

What's the issue with having the AFLW GF at 11am at AO in the saturday as long as there is time to clear the stadium.... besides Port give away that many free tickets they probably wouldnt care if we stayed because we all want Carlton to lose

What's the issue with having the AFLW GF at 11am at AO in the saturday as long as there is time to clear the stadium.... besides Port give away that many free tickets they probably wouldnt care if we stayed because we all want Carlton to lose
I'll allow Carlton to have one win for the year.

I think today’s downer (particularly first 3 quarters) was a blessing in disguise. We know previously we can play pretty, attacking football. Now we also know we have it in us to grind out tight defensive games, and can still run out games well. We have the team flexible enough to combat any team if we stick to our game plan.

McCormick is the one that has not been consistently good this whole season. She’s more of an attacking footballer, and seems to struggle a bit during defensive plays. Her struggle this season (from attack to defense) is almost a mirror opposite of the improvement in Stevie-Lee from defense to attack.

They are unlikely to do a doubleheader with a men's game for the final. They will charge for finals for the women, so it will be standalone. They played the previous GF's at the early time on Sat and none of the men's games started before 4 pm. They have stuffed up by scheduling port a home game at 4:40 pm on the Sat. Considering Nicole Stevenson was at Unley, I wonder if they are considering a final there, especially as it got the largest crowd.

Also, for all those having a go at Deni (who I thought while at the ground and then watching the replay was one of our best players) the club supplies who they consider to be one of the best players to be part of the post-match interview with the media. Seems the club doesn't agree that she was hopeless.
A few observations in regard to potential finals

Unley oval for the grand final isn’t doable - Sturt’s playing our ressies there round 1. Lightings too s**t there so you’d have to play it early and reschedule the men’s later in the day.

In regards to playing a final there? God I hope not. I umpired 2018 sanflw gf which was Anzac Day. So I got there during the men’s game which had 200 more than today. Packed, couldn’t move. The lack of room for fans is tough at the best of times. A higher crowd for finals? You won’t be able to move.

I’d rather play it at Elizabeth oval just for the room. But that’s too far for most. Wouldn’t mind going back to thebby. But if not, just stick to Norwood oval. I might think it’s a dump, but it’s the most convenient when you take everything into account.

Grand final needs to be at Adelaide oval though. The demand will be too high elsewhere.
But ports too early to accomodate regular afl scheduling (gates open)

You’d have to do an 11am bounce down to make it Port acceptable without scheduling changes
If I were the afl, I’d right now switch port/Carlton with Geelong/Melbourne. To allow Adelaide oval to do gf with no issues.

Another alternative. Sunday night doable?
7pm gives it free air.
Over by 9?

the mens team play away in rd 2, if we get the chance to host a gf at Adelaide oval it have to be on a sunday. There's potential for semi-final doubleheader in rd 1, but I think you're right, as people could come to the women's game for free and then try to stay for the mens game.

No matter what the AFLW Grand Final will be played on Saturday afternoon on the 30th March. The AFL have left that afternoon free of mens games. If we host it the game will probably be at midday or 1pm, game finished by 3, presentation over by 3.30pm. Empty stadium and open gates by 4pm for Powa game at 4.40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Back