brucetiki

Guest of Her Majesty
Nov 7, 2002
Wentworth Detention Ctr
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Centrals
The crowd was great today too, thought they might get 5000, but to get close to 8000 was excellent.

Wouldn't have been many Giants supporters there padding out the figures either. I had a cheeky look at the GWS board after the match and they don't even have a Gameday thread!

Their supporter group brought over a banner for the game, but they needed assistance from the CSG to get enough people on the banner (several CSG members did both banners today).

On the flip side, they provided poles and equipment for the CSG for the Canberra game last year.

The two supporter groups have a great working relationship. IMO it shows how great this game, and the games supporters, are.

No matter what the AFLW Grand Final will be played on Saturday afternoon on the 30th March. The AFL have left that afternoon free of mens games. If we host it the game will probably be at midday or 1pm, game finished by 3, presentation over by 3.30pm. Empty stadium and open gates by 4pm for Powa game at 4.40pm

Maybe, but I think means we probably won't get to host it at Adelaide oval, the poo game should have been scheduled as a night game.

No matter what the AFLW Grand Final will be played on Saturday afternoon on the 30th March. The AFL have left that afternoon free of mens games. If we host it the game will probably be at midday or 1pm, game finished by 3, presentation over by 3.30pm. Empty stadium and open gates by 4pm for Powa game at 4.40pm
Too late.
You’re not filtering 40k into the stadium in 40minutes
And the players need to do their warm up.
You’d have to force it in for 11am or something ridiculous like that.
And it is scheduled 30th/31st
So Sunday is an option to the afl...

brucetiki

Guest of Her Majesty
Nov 7, 2002
Wentworth Detention Ctr
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Centrals
They are unlikely to do a doubleheader with a men's game for the final. They will charge for finals for the women, so it will be standalone. They played the previous GF's at the early time on Sat and none of the men's games started before 4 pm. They have stuffed up by scheduling port a home game at 4:40 pm on the Sat. Considering Nicole Stevenson was at Unley, I wonder if they are considering a final there, especially as it got the largest crowd.

Also, for all those having a go at Deni (who I thought while at the ground and then watching the replay was one of our best players) the club supplies who they consider to be one of the best players to be part of the post-match interview with the media. Seems the club doesn't agree that she was hopeless.

Weren't the previous 2 GF's free?

Justinpa1

Club Legend
Oct 21, 2013
Salisbury Downs
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood Redlegs, Liverpool FC,49ers
They have left the spot in the arvo open so we can host it at Adelaide Oval. Both years the GF has been played at 11am or midday, I'm sure that's what will happen.

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Too late.
You’re not filtering 40k into the stadium in 40minutes
And the players need to do their warm up.
You’d have to force it in for 11am or something ridiculous like that.
And it is scheduled 30th/31st
So Sunday is an option to the afl...
I think Sunday is doable. But the AFL is waiting on results of who the Grand Finalists are to properly make decisions.

brucetiki

Guest of Her Majesty
Nov 7, 2002
Wentworth Detention Ctr
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Centrals
The AFL have planned for the AFLW GF to be on the Saturday afternoon. Here is the schedule (Vic times)

Thursday, 28 March (7:20 pm) Richmond vs. Collingwood MCG

Friday, 29 March (7:50 pm) Sydney vs. Adelaide SCG

Saturday, 30 March (4:35 pm) Essendon vs. St Kilda Marvel Stadium
Saturday, 30 March (4:40 pm) Port Adelaide vs. Carlton Adelaide Oval
Saturday, 30 March (5:10 pm) West Coast vs. Greater Western Sydney Optus Stadium
Saturday, 30 March (7:25 pm) Geelong vs. Melbourne GMHBA Stadium

Sunday, 31 March (1:10 pm) North Melbourne vs. Brisbane Lions Marvel Stadium
Sunday, 31 March (3:20 pm) Hawthorn vs. Western Bulldogs MCG
Sunday, 31 March (3:40 pm) Gold Coast vs. Fremantle Metricon Stadium

As you can see there are no Saturday until after 4 pm so that early part of the day is for the AFLW GF. Just like they did last year. Bad programming considering what teams are in the AFLW.

Swap the Port game with the Hawthorn v Bulldogs game. The AFL get their desired spot for the AFLW GF and we get to play it at Adelaide Oval, and it eliminates the need to clear the ground for Port.

Swap the Port game with the Hawthorn v Bulldogs game. The AFL get their desired spot for the AFLW GF and we get to play it at Adelaide Oval, and it eliminates the need to clear the ground for Port.

Makes a mess of travel plans for Carlton, club and fans. The men's fixture is set, can't be changed.

brucetiki

Guest of Her Majesty
Nov 7, 2002
Wentworth Detention Ctr
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Centrals
Makes a mess of travel plans for Carlton, club and fans. The men's fixture is set, can't be changed.

Fair call.

I guess the GF at Norwood it is, though after today I prefer Unley as a AFLW venue over Norwood (just need to bring in a temporary video screen). Plus it means Norwood's 'Keeping up with the Jones'' video screen becomes even more of a white (and dysfunctional) elephant :D

Bonkers000

Club Legend
Mar 5, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
I just realized Melbourne need to beat us by roughly 30X our average losing margin this season. I doubt that’s been done before.

Mileratkinsshow

Team Captain
Feb 14, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
If she makes it back in time, McCormick and Cox are two that are down in form in defense. I'd have Cramey replace McCormick.

I have been a bit critical of Cox in recent weeks. I thought she was good yesterday and often won one on one contests I expected to go against her. McCormick didn’t play so well though.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Really pissed at myself for missing this game, for some reason I thought it was the late Sunday arvo game.

Looked like GWS hung tough for a fair while by the highlights, but the Crows pulled away at the end. Was that the jist of it?

Also, how much do we tend to pile on in the last bloody quarter? Feel like we always put on 4-5 snags to close out these games!

Lady Crow Beast Mode

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Fair call.

I guess the GF at Norwood it is, though after today I prefer Unley as a AFLW venue over Norwood (just need to bring in a temporary video screen). Plus it means Norwood's 'Keeping up with the Jones'' video screen becomes even more of a white (and dysfunctional) elephant :D
Crowd attendance at Unley might be more due to the good weather and long weekend, than perhaps due to the oval itself. Be interesting to see the crowd numbers for both Semi Finals.

brucetiki

Guest of Her Majesty
Nov 7, 2002
Wentworth Detention Ctr
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Centrals
Crowd attendance at Unley might be more due to the good weather and long weekend, than perhaps due to the oval itself. Be interesting to see the crowd numbers for both Semi Finals.

Unley being a bit more family friendly with a number of playgrounds would've attracted families too, as opposed to the crumbling concrete terraces at Norwood.

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
I just realized Melbourne need to beat us by roughly 30X our average losing margin this season. I doubt that’s been done before.
Unfortunately, Melbourne also did beat us (last year) by roughly 30x our current average losing margin this season!

Shows you stats can be very misleading. ;)

A 12.05pm ACDT grand final (12.35pm AEDT, ie the same as last year) leaves approximately 60 minutes to empty out, then 90 minutes to let the crowd come in for the Port game. That is achievable based on my limited stadium management knowledge.

However the AFL would prefer to start it after 2pm so it leads straight into the Essendon-St.Kilda game on TV. And there will be even less incentive to play it at midday in Adelaide if Fremantle is the other team that makes it (9.30 am Perth time, probably not an ideal timeslot for viewers).

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Really pissed at myself for missing this game, for some reason I thought it was the late Sunday arvo game.

Looked like GWS hung tough for a fair while by the highlights, but the Crows pulled away at the end. Was that the jist of it?

Also, how much do we tend to pile on in the last bloody quarter? Feel like we always put on 4-5 snags to close out these games!

Lady Crow Beast Mode
You got the gist of it.
We have shown to be the fittest team this season with us overcoming the top teams in North and Freo in the last quarters. Our only loss thus far was due entirely to inaccuracy (1.11), and not due to inability or fitness issues.

The pleasing thing right now is that we’ve beaten all the Finals contenders in Freo, North, Geelong and Carlton.

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
A 12.05pm ACDT grand final (12.35pm AEDT, ie the same as last year) leaves approximately 60 minutes to empty out, then 90 minutes to let the crowd come in for the Port game. That is achievable based on my limited stadium management knowledge.

However the AFL would prefer to start it after 2pm so it leads straight into the Essendon-St.Kilda game on TV. And there will be even less incentive to play it at midday in Adelaide if Fremantle is the other team that makes it (9.30 am Perth time, probably not an ideal timeslot for viewers).
Which is why it makes most sense to talk about GF time depending on who’s hosting the game.

Which is why it makes most sense to talk about GF time depending on who’s hosting the game.
In the first year it was held at Metricon (even though it was Brisbane v Adelaide). They held the game, had some post match celebrations, emptied out the stadium and then opened the gates for the Suns game. It can be done.

brucetiki

Guest of Her Majesty
Nov 7, 2002
Wentworth Detention Ctr
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Centrals
In the first year it was held at Metricon (even though it was Brisbane v Adelaide). They held the game, had some post match celebrations, emptied out the stadium and then opened the gates for the Suns game. It can be done.

There was about a 6 hour gap between the games though, enough time to play a NEAFL trial between the two matches.

There was about a 6 hour gap between the games though, enough time to play a NEAFL trial between the two matches.
Hmmm.. Not sure about that. I was at the game. Pretty sure the NEAFL game was before hand - we were waiting to get on with the banner - and the girls game was the curtain raiser for the Q Clash. They wouldn't have had to empty the ground for the NEAFL game.

brucetiki

Guest of Her Majesty
Nov 7, 2002
Wentworth Detention Ctr
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Centrals
Hmmm.. Not sure about that. I was at the game. Pretty sure the NEAFL game was before hand - we were waiting to get on with the banner - and the girls game was the curtain raiser for the Q Clash. They wouldn't have had to empty the ground for the NEAFL game.

It was AFLW Grand Final at 1:00ish (the AFL had kept this timeslot free of AFL matches), NEAFL trial at 4:00ish, Q Clash as 7:00ish.

They emptied the ground for the NEAFL trial as they deemed it to be the curtain raiser for the Q Clash.

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Not hard when the Suns were getting about 50 people attending their game! :p

Bit harder when the Paer need time to get their tarps set up. ;)

Back