Game Day AFLW R6 2019: Crows v Giants, Unley Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

It was AFLW Grand Final at 1:00ish (the AFL had kept this timeslot free of AFL matches), NEAFL trial at 4:00ish, Q Clash as 7:00ish.

They emptied the ground for the NEAFL trial as they deemed it to be the curtain raiser for the Q Clash.
Were you there? That's not my recollection of it.

The AFL have planned for the AFLW GF to be on the Saturday afternoon. Here is the schedule (Vic times)

Thursday, 28 March (7:20 pm) Richmond vs. Collingwood MCG

Friday, 29 March (7:50 pm) Sydney vs. Adelaide SCG

Saturday, 30 March (4:35 pm) Essendon vs. St Kilda Marvel Stadium
Saturday, 30 March (4:40 pm) Port Adelaide vs. Carlton Adelaide Oval
Saturday, 30 March (5:10 pm) West Coast vs. Greater Western Sydney Optus Stadium
Saturday, 30 March (7:25 pm) Geelong vs. Melbourne GMHBA Stadium

Sunday, 31 March (1:10 pm) North Melbourne vs. Brisbane Lions Marvel Stadium
Sunday, 31 March (3:20 pm) Hawthorn vs. Western Bulldogs MCG
Sunday, 31 March (3:40 pm) Gold Coast vs. Fremantle Metricon Stadium

As you can see there are no Saturday until after 4 pm so that early part of the day is for the AFLW GF. Just like they did last year. Bad programming considering what teams are in the AFLW.

Port would obviously squeal but the simple way to play the GF at AO on 30th March (if we make it, let's not assume anything) would be to play the Port v Carlton game at 1pm and the women's GF after that.

That would fill the earlier spot for a TV game.

I'm confident the AFL will carefully consider all possibilities...... and then do something demeaning to the women's GF. I wouldn't put it past them to play it at the MCG if we are playing a Vic team (no game there that day, traditional GF venue etc etc).

Port would obviously squeal but the simple way to play the GF at AO on 30th March (if we make it, let's not assume anything) would be to play the Port v Carlton game at 1pm and the women's GF after that.

That would fill the earlier spot for a TV game.

I'm confident the AFL will carefully consider all possibilities...... and then do something demeaning to the women's GF. I wouldn't put it past them to play it at the MCG if we are playing a Vic team (no game there that day, traditional GF venue etc etc).
If they did that we'd be livid.

I think most likely scenario is that it will be at Norwood or Unley oval.

They could fill it up 15 thousand. Would be a good turn out.

I think it would be lucky to get 25 plus thousand in all seriousness particularly if people have to pay.

Hope I'm wrong, would love to get 35 thousand plus at Adelaide oval for it.

Sent from my MI PAD 4 using Tapatalk

No but I missed the GF because I was involved with a SANFL trial game that was going at 1:00pm.

It's ok to be wrong you know.
Absolutely, and if my recollection is wrong, happy for that to be proven so. That’s why I asked if you were there - that wasn’t intended as a smart arse comment, genuinely thought you might have had a different recollection. For some reason I recall waiting in the tunnel for the neafl game to finish before we could get the banner out onto the ground.

I do remember articles at the time saying after the match, the winners and fans could go to 1 conference area as the rest of the ground was closed and cleared for the game that night.

I honestly think they’ll go with Adelaide oval Sunday night and maybe charge $2-$5 to cover footy express
The schedule says Saturday-Sunday and Sunday night is a nice open timeslot on tv.

Just saw a story on 7 News that the ADL are thinking of playing the Crows AFLW Prelim AFTER the Crows vs Hawks clash on 23rd March, as a night game.

Could work as that way Crows Members at the mens game could stay if they want and then anyone else could come into the stadium as there will be free entry to the AFLW game, would save clearing the stadium if the girls played beforehand.

Just saw a story on 7 News that the ADL are thinking of playing the Crows AFLW Prelim AFTER the Crows vs Hawks clash on 23rd March, as a night game.

Could work as that way Crows Members at the mens game could stay if they want and then anyone else could come into the stadium as there will be free entry to the AFLW game, would save clearing the stadium if the girls played beforehand.
That could be awesome, imagine even 50% of a 40k crowd staying around to watch the AFLW pre lim would be bloody epic

The AFL have planned for the AFLW GF to be on the Saturday afternoon. Here is the schedule (Vic times)

Thursday, 28 March (7:20 pm) Richmond vs. Collingwood MCG

Friday, 29 March (7:50 pm) Sydney vs. Adelaide SCG

Saturday, 30 March (4:35 pm) Essendon vs. St Kilda Marvel Stadium
Saturday, 30 March (4:40 pm) Port Adelaide vs. Carlton Adelaide Oval
Saturday, 30 March (5:10 pm) West Coast vs. Greater Western Sydney Optus Stadium
Saturday, 30 March (7:25 pm) Geelong vs. Melbourne GMHBA Stadium

Sunday, 31 March (1:10 pm) North Melbourne vs. Brisbane Lions Marvel Stadium
Sunday, 31 March (3:20 pm) Hawthorn vs. Western Bulldogs MCG
Sunday, 31 March (3:40 pm) Gold Coast vs. Fremantle Metricon Stadium

As you can see there are no Saturday until after 4 pm so that early part of the day is for the AFLW GF. Just like they did last year. Bad programming considering what teams are in the AFLW.

The official AFLW Fixture PDF states:

1552435369974.png

So they have considered the Sunday for the GF!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back