The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
A big game coming up on Sunday. A must win match, no ifs, no buts.

We should win and are better than the Saints but it’s fair to say if we lose this one, our finals chances are down the drain.

Suns fans in vic, please get down and support the girls. I’ll be there and hope to see lots of other red and gold as well ❤️💛💙

A big game coming up on Sunday. A must win match, no ifs, no buts.

We should win and are better than the Saints but it’s fair to say if we lose this one, our finals chances are down the drain.

Suns fans in vic, please get down and support the girls. I’ll be there and hope to see lots of other red and gold as well ❤️💛💙
Can't wait to see the Vic supporters show up again and make some noise for our players. Who would have thought going into round 8 that we'd be just two points outside the top 6? We play first tomorrow so that means we will actually enter the top 6 if we get the W over the Saints but we know either Collingwood or the Bulldogs will jump us later in the day. Still, I'm sure the girls are ecstatic to still be right in the finals race and it's not over until it's over!

Ellie Hampson and Serene Watson return to the lineup to take on the Saints after missing the drawn match against the Western Bulldogs.

The pair have replaced Dee Heslop, who will miss the remainder of the season with an ankle injury, and Wallis Randell who has been omitted.

AFLW Round 8 Team:

B#39 Vivien Saad#7 Lauren Ahrens
HB#20 Daisy D’Arcy#24 Hannah Dunn#30 Bess Keaney
C#13 Lucy Single#33 Alison Drennan#1 Ellie Hampson
HF#3 Tori Groves-Little#12 Tara Bohanna#4 Claudia Whitfort
F #28 Sarah Perkins#26 Kate Surman
FOLL#2 Lauren Bella#8 Charlie Rowbottom#17 Jamie Stanton
INT#14 Serene Watston#9 Shannon Danckert#5 Jacqui Yorston
#23 Kalinda Howarth#27 Jacqui Dupuy
EMG#15 Wallis Randell#18 Janet Baird

Huge game today. Could see some exciting stuff if the girls are on!

Absolute must win. No excuses.

We win and we'll enter the top 6 (temporarily). Then we sit back and see what happens in the Magpies v Bulldogs game later today.

A big win would be very helpful because percentage may become a factor going into round 10 but it's more important to just get the W.

We're not giving up on this season yet!

... Soooo

We're 3 goals down at the end of the 1st
Bad start. Getting beaten in the middle and then the back line eventually breaks down after having to defend multiple inside 50 entries in a row.

Hopefully the girls can clean up their play in the second quarter and we can get back into this one.

Girls look well off the pace at the moment. (I’m stuck in a shopping queue because half of the registers are closed due to floods, and this game isn’t making the time go faster…) Hopefully a big second quarter, or finals are looking off the table.

Short of a blinder last quarter, we will give Saints their first win of the season in a game that was must win. This definitely feels like being a Suns supporter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was sure Perkins would win us this game at the end there. Didn’t deserve to win though after the first half, so can’t put that loss on those two shots at goal.

Yes we lost. Yes we had our chances. Yes it should not have gone to the last stages. Yes Perkins should have kicked one of those two shots

But, we have to be pretty excited what this team can do in the next few years given our age. We are only young and will have inconsistency- we saw that today. In the next few years as the majority of the girls start to hit their prime, it will be such a special time to watch the girls in action.

Yes we lost. Yes we had our chances. Yes it should not have gone to the last stages. Yes Perkins should have kicked one of those two shots

But, we have to be pretty excited what this team can do in the next few years given our age. We are only young and will have inconsistency- we saw that today. In the next few years as the majority of the girls start to hit their prime, it will be such a special time to watch the girls in action.
Well said. This is essentially what always happens to young teams with bright futures. Just remember most of these girls aren't even 24 years old and many of the girls have played less than 10 AFLW games.

If the girls can find a way to beat Carlton next week and Collingwood presumably lose to Adelaide then the door remains slightly ajar but obviously it's far more difficult now than it was before this game.

Ahrens never gets a lot of accolades or high on the stats sheet but her work in defence is very solid and underrated
Correct. Ahrens and Pregelj are our too rocks in defence. They are as well too of out oldest players given majority of the team are so young 22 and under! Loz and Jade are 30 but playing like they are 25!

I am a bit worried though about Essendon trying to get Lauren back given she has been part of their VFLW set up in the past. That is where we scouted her! Fingers crossed she stays loyal!

Viv Saad is someone who I am critical about a bit but today she played better than how she has played in the past this season. No easy goals coughed up by her today which is a good thing. She is 29 too so another older head in the team. At 29, she presumably won't have long left in her career (as is the case with Lauren and Jade). We do have young backs that we are getting games into too like Heslop, D'Arcy and even Randell.

Ahrens never gets a lot of accolades or high on the stats sheet but her work in defence is very solid and underrated
Yeah, she is usually good. Unfortunately today, one goal was on her. A beautiful kick-in to opposition.
We are only young
Well said. This is essentially what always happens to young teams with bright futures.
But, we have to be pretty excited what this team can do in the next few years given our age.

What happened to 'No excuses'?

As for the game that was the worst half we produced. Absolutely flat, looking spent, just jogging there, letting Saints players run through the middle, free Saints players everywhere. Saints had as tough schedule as us if not worse. It looks like we hit wall physically for whatever season.

Credit to girls that they found something in the second half and had a win in their grasp. Perkins will dream about that miss.

A bit tired about bright and young unless you talk about Lions. As I posted previously, in the last round Lions had only 6 more games experience on average (basically half season) and played more young players 23 or less (13 vs 10). Suns played 5 players 30+ vs Lions 1.
There are other team that are young e.g. Bulldogs.

Last edited:
What happened to 'No excuses'?
I'm not excusing the loss. We absolutely should have won that game and even had the game on our boot twice in the last two minutes. My post was in response to someone else pointing out that we have a young & exciting list with a bright future and I was just adding that these types of late season results are typical of a talented team that has minimal experience/are young.

I'm not excusing the loss. We absolutely should have won that game and even had the game on our boot twice in the last two minutes. My post was in response to someone else pointing out that we have a young & exciting list with a bright future and I was just adding that these types of late season results are typical of a talented team that has minimal experience/are young.
Yep, I wasn't excusing us either. I was just trying to find positives to look towards next season. We fought back hard in the second half - some teams would have stayed in 4th gear all day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back