Game Day AFLW Rd 1 Game Day Thread - Melbourne vs North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Good win to start, given the conditions and how highly North are rated.
As a general comment from the games I saw over the weekend the standard of the league has improved. Patrikios looks like a gun for the saints. The low scores are a bit of an issue, but that is in part due to the s**t conditions (wind at Casey, the flood in Blacktown) and the improved skills/setups which I think have translated into better defence.

Good win to start, given the conditions and how highly North are rated.
As a general comment from the games I saw over the weekend the standard of the league has improved. Patrikios looks like a gun for the saints. The low scores are a bit of an issue, but that is in part due to the s**t conditions (wind at Casey, the flood in Blacktown) and the improved skills/setups which I think have translated into better defence.

It is far easier to coach/teach zones and defensive set ups, just to defend in general is easier than defend. The girls tackling ability outweighs the ability for most of the players to break free and/or handball.

One thing I think they should focus on is ball handling, the ball spends a lot or time on the ground through fumbling.

Hopefully as the women are able to transition from part time to semi professional to fully professional the attacking side of the game improves. Only issue I see is what is the scope for improving kicking distance as this could be a limiting factor in trying to break up team Defences.

It is far easier to coach/teach zones and defensive set ups, just to defend in general is easier than defend. The girls tackling ability outweighs the ability for most of the players to break free and/or handball.

One thing I think they should focus on is ball handling, the ball spends a lot or time on the ground through fumbling.

Hopefully as the women are able to transition from part time to semi professional to fully professional the attacking side of the game improves. Only issue I see is what is the scope for improving kicking distance as this could be a limiting factor in trying to break up team Defences.
Agree the fumbling is an issue. I think in the short term teams with a good running game will do well at breaking through defensive zones. Long kicking as you say is lacking but teams who can run & carry well seem to be the more potent in attack. The Bulldogs did this well v the Saints, and the Saints tried the other way but lacked the polish to pull it off.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back