Game Day AFLW Rd 10 Carlton vs Melbourne Saturday March 12 7:10PM AEDT @ Casey Fields

Remove this Banner Ad

Geez.....
You're trying to sound like you have a grasp on things but it is obvious you don't have a clue about the the team.

Body shape and output?? Have you been watching?

The girls rave about the culture any chance they get.

Trading Harris was needed from a culture point of view, all you need to do is read Harris own admission on that from last week.

We had no chance to keep Dalton.....zero and Dal pos was brought in for leadership with such a young team and whilst her on field output was less than we have hoped off field you have no idea.

Downie was nearing the end and from a longer term list management pov we went with Good who I think has really developed as the season went on and is in a much better age bracket.
All the best decisions given the circumstances.

On SM-A115F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Good luck getting a sensible response.

I tried to make all the same points to Jim last year when it was all happening. I asked what alternative he thought the club had, particularly in the Harris and Dalton cases. His response? "On to ignore you go ..."

I'm not as defeatist on Dal Pos as others seem to be. I mean, sure, she hasn't had enormous disposal numbers. But wasn't she a midfielder at GWS? Maybe it's just taken time for her to work in to a new role? All the talk about her influence around the club is super positive.

And also, I don't know if you saw it, but Kez was talking in that half-time piece last night about how she specifically asked to be able to get further up the ground, and we saw lots of that, especially in earlier games. I'm wondering if Dal Pos was asked to help allow for that, so that there was experienced cover in the back line if Kez ran forward?

Body shape and output?? Have you been watching?
Most of the league accelerate past us.
The girls rave about the culture any chance they get.
I spoke about the culture in terms of delivering high performance. The comradery is mostly great, so long as you don't rock the boat, but someone is spinning its wheel for fun.
Trading Harris was needed from a culture point of view, all you need to do is read Harris own admission on that from last week.
To me it reads like she reacted badly to the feedback she was given at the end of the season, but the support structures that should have handled her concerns and issues easily completely failed her.

Then people spun stories about fame getting to her head because what, her agent tried to get her a good deal? That's their ******* job.
We had no chance to keep Dalton.....zero and Dal pos was brought in for leadership with such a young team and whilst her on field output was less than we have hoped off field you have no idea.
We had absolutely no need for an over-the-hill defender who can't run. We should have squeezed another pick out of GWS instead, who had no competitors in the local draft pool.

If we still needed experience, there were better DFA options if we were willing to throw a little cash around.
Downie was nearing the end and from a longer term list management pov we went with Good who I think has really developed as the season went on and is in a much better age bracket.
All the best decisions given the circumstances.
Good is a primary ruck, not a forward/ruck or ruck/forward. In a team that lacks flexibility and mobility, playing her virtually the whole season has been a travesty.

Downie would have been able to play either end, and provided exactly the same coverage that we ultimately needed for Gibbs. She wanted a 2 year deal apparently, but I'm sure would have been happy with a 1-year option tied to a games clause.

Again Jim, none of what you say is fact, just your opinion, which of course is fine but don't dress it up to be anything other than that.

We were on the back foot with trades of Harris and Dalton, and you have no clue how they unfolded, Harris admitted she was not focused last season for multiple reasons and did expect to be paid handsomely, Melbourne stumped up a lot of $$$.

Good has improved considerably as a goal kicking/marking ruck throughout the season, it certainly hasn't been a travesty.

I liked Downie but she is on the wrong side of the list age for us and it made sense to look for a younger player for her role, it was a shame Gibbs had to step away but the list decision was made well before Gibbs made the choice.

I don't mind people being critical of the club/list management decisions etc. but it is very easy to criticize from an armchair retrospectively without knowing all the facts.

It was a disappointing year (I think our fixture was very difficult considering where we finished last season), but there were some great signs from our younger players, O'Dea, Dal Pos, Wilson and Darcy had much less on field influence than I had hoped, but it is obvious that there is a strong bond amongst the players and they are committed to the club and coach.

What I gathered from Harris is that she ended up not getting a payday. Only Melbourne offered a contract and a one year one at that, on base money, with an understanding she had to prove herself.

She almost forced herself out of the league because she wasn't committed last year.

In a season where we have debuted Trudgeon, Jones and Sherar while Hill and Guerin have recovered or developed further, it's hard to be critical.

What I gathered from Harris is that she ended up not getting a payday. Only Melbourne offered a contract and a one year one at that, on base money, with an understanding she had to prove herself.

She almost forced herself out of the league because she wasn't committed last year.
That's how I read it too.

I can't believe that she and her manager had the audacity to ask for more money at the end of the worst year she'd had in the competition. When the club refused, she should have had the humility to agree to some sort of performance element in the contract, which it looks like she's had to do at Melbourne just to have a chance to get beyond her one year deal.

As it turns out, that will probably backfire on the Dees after the year she's had. But what does it say about her motivation and drive last year?

I think events have totally exonerated the club in this sorry affair, and to actually now blame the club for what unfolded is being extremely selective of the facts. And to claim the club could have demanded more from Melbourne in that situation is asking for the impossible.

Similarly, suggesting that we could have somehow got more out of the Chloe Dalton scenario is also just wishful thinking.

It was a disappointing year (I think our fixture was very difficult considering where we finished last season), but there were some great signs from our younger players, O'Dea, Dal Pos, Wilson and Darcy had much less on field influence than I had hoped, but it is obvious that there is a strong bond amongst the players and they are committed to the club and coach.
Agree on O'Dea, as ODN has said a few times, her clumsy attack on the ball carrier has really cost us at times this season. Then giving away 50's when goals are like gold in the AFLW, there's really no excuse. If she plays on, I hope it's something they work on during the off season.

As I've said previously, I'm not willing to give up on Dal Pos yet, she's still only 28 so if she can find the best way to contribute on field, she could still be valuable for the team on game day. She can certainly still use the ball well, and makes good decisions, she just needs to get it more.

I would love to know what's happened with Charlotte. She was nothing like the player she was previously. But what I found most confusing was that she'd obviously been working hard in the gym, she came back looking really solid. So you'd think her motivation levels were fine. Has she been convinced to go to one of the expansion teams?

And Darcy was always going to struggle in a forward line without a true key forward. They're not quick enough on a lead and rely on smarts and agility when the ball's on the deck. But opposition backs were taking marks at will all year.

But yeah, the signs were all positive in terms of team and game-plan development as the year went on, so if Serena comes back, or we can snag a key forward via trade, I think next season looks pretty good - assuming the team isn't gutted by the expansion clubs.

In a season where we have debuted Trudgeon, Jones and Sherar while Hill and Guerin have recovered or developed further, it's hard to be critical.
Forgetting Vickers and Schaap in the debutants, not to mention Good who has lived up to her name, and despite her “mature” status, has plenty of upside (despite the rantings of some).

Forgetting Vickers and Schaap in the debutants, not to mention Good who has lived up to her name, and despite her “mature” status, has plenty of upside (despite the rantings of some).

I was counting those ones as development positives performance wise. They're already the nucleus of the side going forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure how to assess our progress at the moment. Some really good signs from the recent recruits and the progress of Hill, Guerin etc. Worried the exodus of star players is about to continue in the off season though. Madi? Mua? Wait and see I guess.
I was thinking about this today and remembering back to the last round of expansions. I feel like we didn't lose too many players, if at all, to the expansion teams. I can't remember if that was following the year we finished on the bottom or not, but we've always had individual players worth poaching.

I wonder if the culture, or just the way the club looks after players is a key factor here? I'm paraphrasing here, but in her interview on the AFLW podcast, Mim was talking about injured players from other clubs she'd spoken to who had to go outside their club to get the treatment/advice/care that they considered "acceptable". That's a major indictment on how other clubs treat their AFLW program. But at the same time, Mim was glowing in her praise of the Blues and what was done to help her through recovery.

The player I'd least like to lose is Breann Moody. Man I hope the club have done everything possible to ensure that she stays!!

As far as I can recall, we’ve only lost three players to past expansions - Kate Gillespie-Jones (North), Danielle Hardiman (North), and Rhiannon Watt (St Kilda). Our remaining departures have been trades or delistings.

Hardiman and Gillespie-Jones hurt at the time, but we were able to fill that gap relatively quickly with the likes of Harrington and Wilson coming through. Watt was never able to get past Moody and Downie in our ruck pecking order, so wasn’t a great loss.

Conversely, several notable players have declined offers from expansion sides (Vescio, Pound, probably more). With the exception of North, expansion sides have failed to make an impact over the last few - and with the way we played against Melbourne, our future is looking promising. Hopefully both points, plus the clear chemistry the group has, sticks with some minds when it comes to fielding inevitable offers.

As far as I can recall, we’ve only lost three players to past expansions - Kate Gillespie-Jones (North), Danielle Hardiman (North), and Rhiannon Watt (St Kilda). Our remaining departures have been trades or delistings.

Hardiman and Gillespie-Jones hurt at the time, but we were able to fill that gap relatively quickly with the likes of Harrington and Wilson coming through. Watt was never able to get past Moody and Downie in our ruck pecking order, so wasn’t a great loss.

Conversely, several notable players have declined offers from expansion sides (Vescio, Pound, probably more). With the exception of North, expansion sides have failed to make an impact over the last few - and with the way we played against Melbourne, our future is looking promising. Hopefully both points, plus the clear chemistry the group has, sticks with some minds when it comes to fielding inevitable offers.
Wow, that's some memory!

And reinforces what I was thinking, thanks. We didn't really lose any out-and-out stars of our team at the time, so hopefully the club can manage that again!

The Tiges did manage to sway Conti their way though, so it's not unheard of that really good players are prepared to switch.

Again Jim, none of what you say is fact, just your opinion, which of course is fine but don't dress it up to be anything other than that.
I'm not doing that. At all.
We were on the back foot with trades of Harris and Dalton, and you have no clue how they unfolded, Harris admitted she was not focused last season for multiple reasons and did expect to be paid handsomely, Melbourne stumped up a lot of $$$.
We seem to be the only football club that consistently spins this absolute crud. It's horse s**t, stop serving it up here as a reasonable explanation for anything.
Good has improved considerably as a goal kicking/marking ruck throughout the season, it certainly hasn't been a travesty.
We are a slow football side, and she does not help this, nor provide a consistent marking target.
I liked Downie but she is on the wrong side of the list age for us and it made sense to look for a younger player for her role, it was a shame Gibbs had to step away but the list decision was made well before Gibbs made the choice.
If we had knowledge that Gibbs was struggling with mental health issues, we should have been making a different assessment. Downie is an extremely professional athlete, and still stands in - or close to - the elite tier. One year with a one-year option if she played at least 6 or 7 games would have been fine.

I suspect we had knowledge of Gibbs' struggles, same as we would have knowledge with Tayla.
I don't mind people being critical of the club/list management decisions etc. but it is very easy to criticize from an armchair retrospectively without knowing all the facts.
And it is useless to stand by and lap up what inevitably is propaganda from the club. It may not be far from the truth, but it's never the full truth.

There's also reasonable and logical conclusions that can be gleaned from how things transpired. If we can't speculate and discuss without having every single piece of information clear and public, this whole website would be shutdown tomorrow. Bizarre argument, yet it's one I see thrown at me at least once a month.
And yet way too many of them are not looking like, or performing like anything approaching a full-time athlete. Diet is a huge part of the battle, and that's something that they can commit to all year round, with the club able to easily commit that kind of resource for them.

We can debate back and forth about genetics, but it's a flimsy argument for someone that has demonstrated athletic potential. They are not up to the standard of the league, it's as clear as day.

I've seen clubland at AFL and AFLW level do some absolutely braindead stuff on account of whispers and gossip. This isn't MENSA, it's a slight elevation on a local sporting club.

2021 was an incredibly tough year for everyone, and it was very clear from the moment Tayla arrived here that she was a bit green from both emotional and political points of view. Really curious as to why that support suddenly dropped through the floor, and who the true antagonists were.

Guerin got screwed by the coaching staff for almost 18 months. Hill is doing exactly what she was doing before the ACL.

Trudgeon was late to the game at the elite level, switching from basketball, while Jones has kicked 3.4 in the last 6 games.

Jones was originally recruited as a winger (169 cm) and is in her third season... her entire game in the forward line falls apart if she can't stick her marks. I'm not saying she can't grow her game, but her lead-up tricks were worked out pretty quickly by the entire league.

The only time the team was really firing was when the stubbornness around defensive structures and deploying attacking players like Guerin suddenly disappeared. I'd also like to highlight Harford's rhetoric after the Melbourne game as evidence of there being pressure on the football department, and I think that's justified.

I've seen clubland at AFL and AFLW level do some absolutely braindead stuff on account of whispers and gossip. This isn't MENSA, it's a slight elevation on a local sporting club.

2021 was an incredibly tough year for everyone, and it was very clear from the moment Tayla arrived here that she was a bit green from both emotional and political points of view. Really curious as to why that support suddenly dropped through the floor, and who the true antagonists were.

Guerin got screwed by the coaching staff for almost 18 months. Hill is doing exactly what she was doing before the ACL.

Trudgeon was late to the game at the elite level, switching from basketball, while Jones has kicked 3.4 in the last 6 games.

Jones was originally recruited as a winger (169 cm) and is in her third season... her entire game in the forward line falls apart if she can't stick her marks. I'm not saying she can't grow her game, but her lead-up tricks were worked out pretty quickly by the entire league.

The only time the team was really firing was when the stubbornness around defensive structures and deploying attacking players like Guerin suddenly disappeared. I'd also like to highlight Harford's rhetoric after the Melbourne game as evidence of there being pressure on the football department, and I think that's justified.

My first question is ... when exactly did you stop discussing and started stating things as fact, often with hostility? I missed the transition.

Secondly, you don't know what happened with Harris, yet are content to blame the club or anyone but Harris.

Guerin was made to earn her spot, and IMO she hadn't shown a huge amount prior. Not sure why you are downplaying Jones when all players have pros and cons.

Also ... no, Hill is not doing what she had always done. She has gone to another level.

I hate to bring anything evidence based into this alternative facts argument but ...

Screenshot_2022-03-15-03-09-06-45_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Screenshot_2022-03-15-03-08-54-82_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

I was thinking about this today and remembering back to the last round of expansions. I feel like we didn't lose too many players, if at all, to the expansion teams. I can't remember if that was following the year we finished on the bottom or not, but we've always had individual players worth poaching.

I wonder if the culture, or just the way the club looks after players is a key factor here? I'm paraphrasing here, but in her interview on the AFLW podcast, Mim was talking about injured players from other clubs she'd spoken to who had to go outside their club to get the treatment/advice/care that they considered "acceptable". That's a major indictment on how other clubs treat their AFLW program. But at the same time, Mim was glowing in her praise of the Blues and what was done to help her through recovery.

The player I'd least like to lose is Breann Moody. Man I hope the club have done everything possible to ensure that she stays!!
Bri Davey wasn't an expansion club, but was one of the best in the game as is Madi Prespakis. She didn't have a great year but hoping she's not on her way out the door.

Bri Davey wasn't an expansion club, but was one of the best in the game as is Madi Prespakis. She didn't have a great year but hoping she's not on her way out the door.
Yeah, if I remember correctly, everyone was worried that she'd join Collingwood eventually, and that's how it played out.

Hear hear on Maddy, I hope we don't lose her, but I think we have more cover for her position than we have for several others. The additional danger here is her relationship with GG. Even though she only shows it occasionally, Georgia can be freaky!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back