Bulldogs-vs-Melbourne.png

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers
Um. Game’s at 7:40 TheCount
Well when you've apparently blacked out and have no recollection of creating the thread while out at a school function, it's difficult to get the details right.

Meanwhile, ripping contest so far. Jumped them early, but the Dogs have rised to the contest since.

jhong

Old man yelling at clouds
Apr 18, 2011
Wonthaggi
AFL Club
Melbourne
Goldrick consistent , coughed up the first goal for them second week in a row . Once she has figured out the rules i think she will be a good player for us .

saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
Two big goals in the last few minutes

I missed the first 10 mins, I saw us kick 5-6 points in a row but I’ve only seen the dogs go inside half a dozen times.

You can see the difference in the experienced players in Pearce Paxman Scott and Hore

Well when you've apparently blacked out and have no recollection of creating the thread while out at a school function, it's difficult to get the details right.

Meanwhile, ripping contest so far. Jumped them early, but the Dogs have rised to the contest since.
*chortle*

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
It is the other knee, that really sucks.
Are women meant to play this sport?? I'm hearing so many reports of acl injuries, not just in the AFLW league, but in all leagues. My best mates daughter was gearing up to get drafted next year and did her acl a few weeks back. Genetically it doesn't seem like a sport suited for women.

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Are women meant to play this sport?? I'm hearing so many reports of acl injuries, not just in the AFLW league, but in all leagues. My best mates daughter was gearing up to get drafted next year and did her acl a few weeks back. Genetically it doesn't seem like a sport suited for women.
It does seem unusually high compared to the AFL mens but I feel compared to local footy it isn't. I did mine a while ago and thought I was unlucky but then there's been at least three other men that I know that have done it and that's only at my clubs. It's hard to know exactly why it's problematic in aflw I've heard the argument that because womens footy is newer then the mens they haven't been able to develop in the same way as men and hopefully will go down in time. I'm starting to think that it's more because of the disadvantage of being semi pro compared to the full time AFL where there job is to work on their strength and conditioning.

It does seem unusually high compared to the AFL mens but I feel compared to local footy it isn't. I did mine a while ago and thought I was unlucky but then there's been at least three other men that I know that have done it and that's only at my clubs. It's hard to know exactly why it's problematic in aflw I've heard the argument that because womens footy is newer then the mens they haven't been able to develop in the same way as men and hopefully will go down in time. I'm starting to think that it's more because of the disadvantage of being semi pro compared to the full time AFL where there job is to work on their strength and conditioning.

Is there any truth in that report that there's a biomechanical factor in play? Something about the wider hips and pelvis of the female body creating different forces which the knee has to deal with.

Pseudoscience aside, watched the replay today, was a genuinely enjoyable game to watch I thought. Skills have definitely improved on a steady trajectory. Hanks' one handed gather from a tap and quick kick out of the contest was very nice to watch. Paxman and Pearce are in their own league, Hore and Scott not far behind. Bit concerning the lack of impact O'Dea had in wet and sluggish conditions. Perhaps as the competition gets more skillful and quicker she is being left behind. She's definitely not quick on her feet.

Back