Game Day AFLW Rd 2 Nmfc v GWS 3.10pm Launceston

Remove this Banner Ad

Gibbo lays the perfect tackle and gets a free kick against?

Glad we won.

Some solid tackling by the team, a few kicks or handballs needed to be a bit better but overall a decent performance.

What did you guys think of that head clash on Kashy? On the replay it looked like she got elbowed. I'll have to watch it again, but I'm not happy about it. Can't stand to see our Kash go down, and especially not in the long sleeves!

I think the orange ones' intercept marking was better, but geez if they can't score any better than that with all the freaking 50's they got gifted, then we surely MUST have deserved that win.

Loved ABBA's goal. Talk about a beautiful kick, and with the wind to factor in too!

Still loving Riddell. So quick, agile, tough as nails. Zippy, turns on a dime, speeds directly at an opponent, and slams them in a tackle hard to believe from someone her size. Disappears into packs and retrieves the ball more often than not, and still delivers it with vision to a teammate. What a great comeback she's made.

Bring on next week! And fingers crossed Kashy's okay for it.

Two weeks in a row we have been totally shafted by incompetent umpiring. It’s the holding the ball frees that is really annoying me. We tackle the player with ball and if its remotely 50/50 it’s not called. If it’s the other way it’s always called against us. Also there were three occasions where Kearney was tackled high and got no call, yet GWS got a high tackle for the perfect ball and all tackle.

Garner was an easy BOG, although Riddell was very good also. Didn’t mind Saad’s game either, she is improving rapidly.

Last edited:
Two weeks in a row we have been totally shafted by incompetent umpiring. It’s the holding the ball frees that is really annoying me. We tackle the player with ball and if its remotely 50/50 it’s not called. If it’s the other way it’s always called against us. Also there were three occasions where Kearney was tackled high and got no call, yet GWS got a high tackle for the perfect ball and all tackle.

Garner was an easy BOG, although Riddell was very good also. Didn’t mind Saad’s game either, she is improving rapidly.

I only saw a minute or so before 3qt. WTF was that holding the ball free (against one of the Kings perhaps) in our CHF area about?!

Despite the disappointing loss last week, the form is holding up ok. Dees beat us & then beat Bullfrogs last night.

Meanwhile, we beat GWS, who beat Gold Coast last week.

Today, Gold Coast beat Richmond, who we play next week.

Thus, Pythagoras' Theorem suggests we should be 2-1 after next week.

Gibbo lays the perfect tackle and gets a free kick against?

s**t decision.

Fortunately, it and some other baffling calls didn't make a whole lot of difference. Much better showing from the girls today. Still some poor decision-making and defenders trying to outmark their opponents at times when they should be spoiling, but enjoyed the discernible improvement in execution this week. Forwards brought the pressure. Endeavour and tackling was once again top notch.

Garner excellent, Bruton and Kearney busy, another good showing from Ash. Thought Hardiman did some nice things, too.

Good win.

Only issue I have is this damn sore throat I've now got from all that AFLW being shoved down it.

I only saw a minute or so before 3qt. WTF was that holding the ball free (against one of the Kings perhaps) in our CHF area about?!
One of many terrible decisions, Elisha King never had control, took one step (maybe two) and was pinged.

The women's game uses a smaller ball. It looks to me that whenever the ball hits the ground it takes a more irregular and unpredictable bounce than a normal sized ball. There were at least a dozen instances where players looked like they had the bounce covered, then the ball bounced and took off past them.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol. It’s amazing how quickly we came to the conclusion that even our AFLW team is unfairly treated by the umpires. We’re nothing if not a curiously odd bunch, aren’t we?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Except the umpires were atrocious. I understand that it was 14 frees to us 23 to the GWS with some decisions impossible to understand. Also they got an extraordinary number of 50 metre penalties.

Not sure if I am too biased, but it seemed like there were two different rule books in play. I don't like the number of shots on goal they gave GWS for fairly minor incidents, we were fortunate they didn't convert many of them but if felt that a huge chunk of their scoring opportunity came from the umpires for the type of things that weren't called against GWS.

It is hard to tell because the conditions haven't been ideal in the first two rounds, but Gowans gives me a bit of a Scott vibe, I hope I am wrong about that. I am not a huge fan of the way we move the ball. I think the best footy we have played (since inception) has been when we zig zag through the corridor and hit up those 20-30m kicks and just murder the opposition with the spread. Those long kicks don't seem to do a lot for us, we aren't particularly a huge contesting marking side and it often turns into a chaos ball scenario, we are also very fumbly when the ball is on the deck. There is a huge difference when Gibson is bending over for the ground ball and most of our other players. Even Kearney is a bit fumbly. We are really missing Duffin who was one of our best skilled players.

What I really like is the desire for the physical contact, it was something I mentioned last year pre-Shaw that it was nice watching a North side that had the intent to tackle and the desire for the physical contest.

I think we have one of the better lists in the comp, even without Duffin, I am just not sure we play to our strengths as well as we could, when we turn it on we blow any team off the park regardless who it is, it just doesn't feel like we are conditioned to play that way and when your season is only 8 weeks there isn't a lot of time for a slow burn.

Going forward I would like to see the ladies have the intent to retain the ball a lot more, look to hit that player 20-30m away and then spread aggressively, we have the forward firepower to beat any side but getting the ball to them is a bit haphazard.

Last edited:
That free against Gibson is up with one of the all-time stinkers. The GWS girl turned blind into a legal tackle and was stone cold holding the ball. She didn't get high contact or get slung to ground. Got me stuffed what the free was for? Tackling too hard?
The other North player there was applauding the tackle.

That free against Gibson is up with one of the all-time stinkers. The GWS girl turned blind into a legal tackle and was stone cold holding the ball. She didn't get high contact or get slung to ground. Got me stuffed what the free was for? Tackling too hard?
The other North player there was applauding the tackle.

Umpire played dangerous tackle, there was some minor head clash but it was incidental. Shocking call. The tackle wasn't dangerous, the other player just didn't see it coming and didn't brace for it. Gibson is also a tackling machine but her tackles are usually by the book.

I'm not really one to buy into an umpiring vendetta against North (at all, the numbers suggest quite the opposite) but it was ******* AWFUL today

It was down right shithouse to be brutally honest

rtNPQgpsTnAvZzfCEOQHDObWE92inmLtska0gSYzlDWu6yjsHWObZBx4wbumtrKUyQ-wo-Bp60f12fSttvhuGYUU-fJwOTbEGLf-MbVDXHednBaDagtOIC0n5M2xJghmyQDpp3SYnpN-CBvtjwtDmiIv6NsqeSZUUW0

Remove this Banner Ad

Back