AFLW Rd3 - North vs Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

I've theorised about this before and made a lot of predictions that could prove to be very wrong/naive, so all I'll say for now is the deal was to play half our home games in Tasmania.

Hey is someone suggesting the club that locked Susan Alberti out of games treated the women's team like crap?

The Dogs make noises about doing the right thing, but never follow through.
This is the first of heard of this story.
Can you elaborate a little more, as I still don’t understand, why are they locking her out?

It can’t be as petty as it reads.

This is the first of heard of this story.
Can you elaborate a little more, as I still don’t understand, why are they locking her out?

It can’t be as petty as it reads.
There was a little spat between Alberti and Peter Gordon last year where she had got used to having access all areas and using the players' entrances etc, and Gordon shut it down and made her come in with the plebs.

Or something like that. CBF looking up the whole story.

They wanted to come to us, yes. But they also wanted to leave their original clubs. Those clubs were not giving them the respect they deserved. Especially Collingwood and the Westcrays. If anyone wants to know what that means, maybe have a look at the guard of honour and the fact that the entire North Melbourne men's senior list elected to stay in Tasmania to watch the game. These women have been welcomed by EVERYONE at Arden St and most especially the men's team. Certain other clubs are run by notorious misogynists and they wouldn't even suffer the women using their gym.

So to dribbling little tools like Mantis, perhaps stop sooking about the trade rules and start looking a little closer to home for reasons why good players left a premiership team.
I mean I guess so, but Kearney and Bruton were the only two to come over from there and they both had personal connections attracting them. Or did they lose a couple to Geelong as well? On the face of it Collingwood seemed like a more serious exodus.

Of course if you have more details to share I’m all ears.

Without wishing to sound terribly bitter...it’s got to be a pretty hollow victory knowing that your team has been allowed to pilfer the very best players in the league.
I understand you had to have access to some already registered players...but surely even you lot realise you’ve had it too good.

Not in the slightest. We followed the rules and guidelines in terms of what we were allowed to do.

I think the main reason we have seen the success in the very short-term despite a lack of development time as a team is that we caught the competition napping, the style of football that dominated the competition has been a relatively slow paced dour style of play with relatively low scoring with dubious skills, some clubs were able to dominate in this environment but the trend was changing, particularly at grass roots level.

The major benefit we had is that we could identify where the game was heading and just pick players from various clubs that had attributes that suited the direction the game was going. It didn't matter if the player identified was a star or not. For example, Gillespie-Jones we got from Carlton wasn't being played to her strengths there, she wanted to spend more time in the middle and we utilised her great athleticism for her size and she has played a very versatile game with us and in the commentary mentioned she would be one of the most improved players in the AFLW so far. All the players we have acquired; can run, have endurance, have solid skills, have versatility, all are aggressive, hit the tackles hard.

I think if any side had the ability to just start from scratch and build a whole side to compliment a game style after you had some solid data on a lot of the players you would find these clubs had a design advantage. You don't have the same control in a draft, you don't know who is going to get taken before your picks. It is why we were even prepared to trade our first round pick to Melbourne for two players who had known quantities.

This isn't a side that relies on a handful of stars that have been taken from other clubs, your team got demolished by a 1st gamer taken in the 3rd round of the draft. That s**t happens, she might go the rest of the season and not score again, hopefully she continues on from here but it is not like we have an All-Australian squad. We rely on Bateman also taken in the draft, on VFLW recruits like Riddell before her injury was probably our best midfielder.

I think if we picked star players in vogue in 2017-18 then we wouldn't have been remotely as good as we have been. Our midfield isn't the strongest even on paper, Carlton beat us in the middle, had the ball in their forward 50 more than us, had more inside 50s. They just couldn't handle the heat, couldn't run both ways with us. To a certain degree it has been about the execution rather than the individuals.

Obviously the Dogs losing Kearney and Bruton hurt the side, Collingwood losing King, Garner and Duffin hurt them a lot more as they had a far weaker list. The AFL made an error in that it didn't assess the strength of each list and place limitations on what could be taken based on the strength of that list, some clubs like Fremantle and Adelaide got off pretty lightly, did the Crows lose anyone? There was a design flaw in the system, but that wasn't our fault. Certain players were more open to leaving their existing club for various reasons, it made our job easier to just go for those who were keen on going, we didn't intent to pillage Collingwood, it just panned out that way.

We could have taken fewer players, we took 13 AFL players and 4 non-AFL players, Geelong took 7 and 6, the major difference was us getting some extra Tasmanian players. Geelong ended up with pick #1 and #2 in the draft. We could have gone a bit lighter on the poaching and we would have got more access to the cream of the 2018 crop in the draft. There was an opportunity cost, getting more existing players cost us at the draft, I assume the AFL determined that the difference puts us on a level playing field with Geelong. If that is the case, then why isn't anyone complaining about Geelong?

Last edited:
What’s being lost in this pathetic hand wringing is that all these players CHOSE North over their existing club. There was generally negligible financial inducement and they certainly weren’t forced. They wanted to come to North because they thought the environment would be better than where they were currently playing.

This should never have happened. Foundation clubs had a huge advantage in being able to establish a strong a cohesive culture and team comeraderie where players wanted to stay. They knew what they needed to do to protect their list from poaching.

Quite frankly, they blew it.

They treated their women’s team like a marketing expense and only have themselves to blame now that the women have chosen a club that genuinely embraces them as integral to their football club.

I guarantee we won’t lose a whole bunch of players to the new clubs in 2020 unless the AFL mandates it. Because the girls love the club and club loves them back.

All the sooks whinging about their list being decimated need to look inwards and ask why their players wanted to leave their club.

What’s being lost in this pathetic hand wringing is that all these players CHOSE North over their existing club. There was generally negligible financial inducement and they certainly weren’t forced. They wanted to come to North because they thought the environment would be better than where they were currently playing.

This should never have happened. Foundation clubs had a huge advantage in being able to establish a strong a cohesive culture and team comeraderie where players wanted to stay. They knew what they needed to do to protect their list from poaching.

Quite frankly, they blew it.

They treated their women’s team like a marketing expense and only have themselves to blame now that the women have chosen a club that genuinely embraces them as integral to their football club.

I guarantee we won’t lose a whole bunch of players to the new clubs in 2020 unless the AFL mandates it. Because the girls love the club and club loves them back.

All the sooks whinging about their list being decimated need to look inwards and ask why their players wanted to leave their club.
If they were capable of critical thinking you wouldn't have needed to type all this.

any idea where we will play finals? How does it work, if we have the best record in both conferences coming into finals do we play both semi and grand final at home, and if so... where, we seem to have about a different home ground every week.

Might come down to beating freo to get top spot..
There don't seem to be any details available for how the AFLW finals series will work.
However, as per what happens in other sports with conference systems, and taking into account the way that the AFL operates, I think I have determined what is likely to happen...

Even though the fixture shows "TBA" or "TBC" for the location of all of the finals, the general understanding is that the higher finishing teams will get home finals[1].

For the Grand Final, there are several combinations of teams that could occur.
If a first place team is playing a second placed team, then the first place team will be the home team[2].
If 2 first place or 2 second place teams win the semis, then various tiebreakers will be used to determine the home team for the Grand Final (e.g. head to head results, overall win/loss record, percentage, etc...)[3].

[1] This will only apply if a team has played at least 2 regular season games at the same location. If a team does not meet this criteria, they forfeit the right to a home semi-final.
[2] Except if you are an expansion team that somehow manipulated the rules in a way that was like completely, totally unfair to all the other teams.
[3] Unless the name of one of the qualifying teams starts with a "K" or an "N", in which case alphabetical order will be used to determine the home team (reverse alphabetical order will be applied if the Western Bulldogs also qualify).

If they were capable of critical thinking you wouldn't have needed to type all this.

I tried to explain this to them, but unfortunatley any concept more complex than the directions to Centrelink is too challenging for the Bullflogs board.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have only got through 1st quarter of replay so far but does the umpiring get any better? "Free kick bulldogs" might as well be a transcendental meditation chant for the umpires.

Jess Trend very lively so far, Ashmore effectiveness much improved.

As for the whole "North are too strong" narrative emanating from AFL media, let's all remember we haven't won anything yet. But anyway no rules were broken.

In fact if anything it's us who should be having a whine.

Why were Collingwood ushered straight in despite running a netball team in parallel that represents a conflict of interest when trying to usher the best female athletic talent into the AFLW system?

Why were North denied entry in year one of the expanded comp despite having strong claims of supporting women's football "before it was cool"?

Why, despite only utilising the same recruitment pathways open to any entrant club did the AFL cook up pseudo draft penalties for us that saw us trapped out of our 1st national draft until the 2nd round based on a 'perception' of us recruiting too well? WTF?

There is a definite 'AFLW is unfair' story in there. But it's not the one being reported.

Another player who was a "wasted" talent at her former club, but given a opportunity at a real football club is now excelling.

Outside of Kearney and King (and maybe Ashmore), I don't think we signed any genuine stars, but under our systems have excelled and are now being noticed as some of the elite players in comp.

Another player who was a "wasted" talent at her former club, but given a opportunity at a real football club is now excelling.

Outside of Kearney and King (and maybe Ashmore), I don't think we signed any genuine stars, but under our systems have excelled and are now being noticed as some of the elite players in comp.
Garner as well. Number one ranked forward in the comp last year.

Garner as well. Number one ranked forward in the comp last year.
So Collingwood actually had some stars, yet were still sh!t?
No wonder King, Garner and co. they wanted to leave.
Explains this seasons ineptness as well.

Have only got through 1st quarter of replay so far but does the umpiring get any better? "Free kick bulldogs" might as well be a transcendental meditation chant for the umpires.

Jess Trend very lively so far, Ashmore effectiveness much improved.

As for the whole "North are too strong" narrative emanating from AFL media, let's all remember we haven't won anything yet. But anyway no rules were broken.

In fact if anything it's us who should be having a whine.

Why were Collingwood ushered straight in despite running a netball team in parallel that represents a conflict of interest when trying to usher the best female athletic talent into the AFLW system?

Why were North denied entry in year one of the expanded comp despite having strong claims of supporting women's football "before it was cool"?

Why, despite only utilising the same recruitment pathways open to any entrant club did the AFL cook up pseudo draft penalties for us that saw us trapped out of our 1st national draft until the 2nd round based on a 'perception' of us recruiting too well? WTF?

There is a definite 'AFLW is unfair' story in there. But it's not the one being reported.
The umpiring didn't get better, yet somehow the dogs fans thought they were on the wrong side of the umps.

Some of the throws they are blatantly allowed to get away with were absurd.

Coaches votes

NORTH MELBOURNE v WESTERN BULLDOGS
10 Jenna Bruton (NMFC)
6 Courteney Munn (NMFC)
4 Jamie Stanton (NMFC)
4 Kate Gillespie-Jones (NMFC)
2 Monique Conti (WB)
2 Ellie Blackburn (WB)
2 Emma Kearney (NMFC)

But but but...I thought we were only good because we poached everyone’s good players and not because of the natural progression and improvement from the lesser known players? :rolleyes:

Jenna came in 6th in the Dog's best and fairest last year despite having a pretty strong midfield, they weren't thrilled about losing her and Emma. I think Riddell probably prevented Jenna from having a greater impact prior to her injury.

Jas Garner. Kicked five in the state of origin. Always been seen as one of the most talented players in the comp.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back