Game Day AFLW Rnd 3 - Carlton v Brisbane Game Day Discussion

How good have Brissy's Murri girls, Courtney Hodder and Zimmorlei Farquharson looked. Aboriginal girls are going to feature in AFLW.
one day they probably hope to be just players..............

Egan, Pound and Wilson missing from our best team, but all teams are missing players.

With Jones going great guns as a forward, time to get Vescio up the ground to capitalise on her ball handling and body work on a similar sized opponent.

Walker was rusty so gets a pass. Gee is so inconsistent and our forward tackling is non existent.

O'Dea is a real disappointment. McEvoy goes hard but not the player you'd expect for such a high draft pick.

McKay's second half fadeouts are concerning for me.

Mua's fumbling in dangerous situations hurts but she lifted her intensity in the second half.

Lee isn't ready. Dal Pos just invisible.

Plane was okay tonight but I feel that senior selection is no guarantee for her and Brazzale is also ripe to be dropped.

I expect a bounce back next week at home.

The Lions academy advantage is huge right now.

Jan 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Look, AFLW is not at the level yet to be hyper partisan while viewing. And we are going pretty awful atm.

But i really enjoyed watching Zimi Farquason's debut. Right from the start she looked highly talented and adept at the game. Great watching her play.

Ya gotta look to enjoy things these days, cos there's a whole lot to bellyache about if that's what we choose to concentrate on.

easily bullied off the ball, and classic example there, gg running at the ball, sees opponent coming at her - stops.............rubbish in any language........

People will say that's not her go and she would get demolished in any head to head contact, but if she is doing that and having zero effect on scoring as well, there is no point.

We have a lot of loyalty selections based on past deeds.

drunkill

Club Legend
May 16, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Disappointing, lack of effort, no pace, not many marking options in the forwardline.

Midfield did alright, although Walker was hardly seen today and McKay went missing in the third quarter.

Our backline didn't hold up a lot of the time but we're missing a few key pillars in Gab Pound and Charlotte Wilson, however Mua Laloifi and Harrington did very well with how often the ball was coming in towards them.

Hardford needs to make changes midgame, I didn't notice much and it is concerning, very much missing our taggers in Katie Loynes and Sarah Hosking, we've not replaced them. We let the Lions get the ball away with pace, weren't sticking our tackles and to be honest, out basic skills were woeful, picking the ball up off the deck hardly worked for us and our hospital handpasses helped nobody.

drunkill

Club Legend
May 16, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
what's happened to our scoring? not like harris was that core................was it?
She took away a good defender and brought the ball to ground if she didn't mark it herself, crashing packs helped out forwards in Gee and Vescio crumb the ball, we are not marking in contests inside 50 anymore and therefore our crumbers have been neutralised in packs.

A shame she wasn't playing last year as good as she is now.

Need less time on Instagram and more in the gym. 3m handball shouldn't go straight up and down.
That's the one ... followed by attempts to mop up with a Queen Mary turning circle and more loopy disposals being closed down until a tap back into traffic sees them win the ball and get it out.

Our ambitions don't match our abilities and seem to lack desperation to protect our goals. A lot of times we rely on opposition skill errors to run it out of defence.

We just don't understand where the dangerous areas are, and also FFS, another season of bombing the ball forward with no system. Every year, men's or women's ... you pray for smart play and get panic football and it all stems from a slow midfield.

Jimmyonesix

Premiership Player
Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Darcy needs a change up.. fair enough they have had a lot of emotional thing to battle but they just don't seem to be getting into game -- get them closer to the action..

Jul 22, 2003
Melbourne
Ouch. Difficult viewing for Carlton supporters, but Brisbane played some very nice football (and look to have uncovered a real gem in Farquharson).

There were 8-10 or so players in tonight's line up who are well off this level of football at this stage - many of those are young and being played far too prematurely for various reasons, but that can't be said for all. Too much is left to too few, and if several of the better players have an off game... then we get this kind of performance.

Having said that, I nearly choked on my dinner when one of the commentators said we were at 'full strength' early in the game - some keys missing tonight, and for the season for some - Wilson is a key component, for example, and much of Pound's positional nous and defensive coverage goes unheralded.

Bit reluctant to go too hard here, as I enjoy the refreshing positivity that typically accompanies the women's game, but only one team looked well prepared and coached tonight. Real stagnation in apparent gameplan, and some positives aside (Jones and Moody), very little perceivable improvement and development across the board. Recruiting and list management have question marks, too. I like Daniel Harford a lot, and would love him to turn this around, but I'm starting to question whether he has the ability to squeeze any more from this group. Looks like a fun place to be, though.

Midfield dearly missing Egan - her absence really knocks around the balance in there. I know we don't dare speak at this stage of the elephant in the room, but heaven help us if Prespakis does indeed make her way across to Essendon.

Look, AFLW is not at the level yet to be hyper partisan while viewing. And we are going pretty awful atm.

But i really enjoyed watching Zimi Farquason's debut. Right from the start she looked highly talented and adept at the game. Great watching her play.

Ya gotta look to enjoy things these days, cos there's a whole lot to bellyache about if that's what we choose to concentrate on.

For sure. That sort of athleticism can only further the game. My main concern is the same teams are so far ahead and the sooner we can get more money into the game so we can have one draft to even up the comp, the better.

Jan 16, 2019
Kgari Coast Qld.
AFL Club
Carlton
For sure. That sort of athleticism can only further the game. My main concern is the same teams are so far ahead and the sooner we can get more money into the game so we can have one draft to even up the comp, the better.
Genuine question, Why are Carlton, a founding member team, so far behind?

Nov 27, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
People will say that's not her go and she would get demolished in any head to head contact, but if she is doing that and having zero effect on scoring as well, there is no point.

We have a lot of loyalty selections based on past deeds.
And recruiting seems to be vescio's mates.

Can anyone explain the need for Dal Pos? What does she bring to the table?

Nov 27, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
She took away a good defender and brought the ball to ground if she didn't mark it herself, crashing packs helped out forwards in Gee and Vescio crumb the ball, we are not marking in contests inside 50 anymore and therefore our crumbers have been neutralised in packs.

A shame she wasn't playing last year as good as she is now.
Helps if the kick inside 50 goes somewhere near a forward. Hard to crash a pack when the ball is going the defender 20m in the clear.

Genuine question, Why are Carlton, a founding member team, so far behind?

In my opinion, we have prioritised grunt over pace and skills, and our trading has been awful.

We draft in a pool with multiple clubs which is diluted because Victoria don't have the dominance of players that they do in the men's. That and the academies mean we have to make our selections count and we haven't done that nearly enough.

And recruiting seems to be vescio's mates.

Can anyone explain the need for Dal Pos? What does she bring to the table?

Dal Pos wanted to come to us and it glossed over losing more players.

Aug 20, 2007
Geelong
AFL Club
Carlton
Next three weeks look super tough - and I dont expect that we are going to have much better personnel available.

Strikes me that players like Dal Pos and O’Dea were recruited as mids but the game has gone past them speed wise so they are playing bit roles? Odd.
And isn’t that the reason we punted Loynes?
We want to play a wall defence with a fast rebound but we have no speed in the midfield.
There’s some talent in the youngsters. Jones is super.

Nov 27, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Dal Pos wanted to come to us and it glossed over losing more players.
Anything to do with being sisters with Vescio's partner? Maybe I am being a bit harsh, but it seems to me no one of quality really wants to come to us.

O'Dea was good for a season. This year she seems well off the pace. No wonder Melbourne weren't to phased with her leaving.

Dal Pos was touted as a good get, and she may well be, but I haven't seen anything to indicate it yet.

Grunt is all well and good, but what's the point if you just get it and give it back in space?

Nov 1, 2013
Cabal headquarters
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Wouldn't dare...
Seeing so many of the same issues I saw last year, and some of the same issues I see with our men's team. Lack of urgency, pressure when we don't have the ball. Not leading and moving enough when we do. Not positioning ourselves well. Fumbling marks that other teams are taking cleanly.

Don't know if it's coaching or recruiting, but something isn't working. We have plenty of talented players, why are we doing so many stupid things?

Coona Blues

Director of Coaching
Nov 3, 2011
Bundaberg, Qld
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tasmania
Anything to do with being sisters with Vescio's partner? Maybe I am being a bit harsh, but it seems to me no one of quality really wants to come to us.

O'Dea was good for a season. This year she seems well off the pace. No wonder Melbourne weren't to phased with her leaving.

Dal Pos was touted as a good get, and she may well be, but I haven't seen anything to indicate it yet.

Grunt is all well and good, but what's the point if you just get it and give it back in space?
Thinking Dal Pos was a good get, reckon O’Dea was decent too, but they are being deployed as bit players where both have midfield creds. DP made her name as a mid, and should be in the mix with the youngsters, while ageing, O’Deas bigger body would be handy with Egan out of action. I like McEvoy, but her tank is questionable. “BigBoy” would be more effective as a focal forward target, allowing DV and Stevens to play a more hybrid role. When available Jess Good looks a handy forward/ruck foil for Moody. The new girls showed a bit and should get games. Plane and Brazzale have been decent over the journey, but are very pedestrian for the roles they are playing.

I was thinking we had some good youngsters coming through, then we see the Lions newbies looking like rising star favourites. We are a long way off the mark. The fluidity of the player market is sobering, we must offer opportunity to the young ones who are hopefully developing beneath or it will get ugly. We must be seen to be progressive.

Back