Game Day AFLW Rnd 3 - Carlton v Brisbane Game Day Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Wilson is a test for this week. With a 5 day turnaround, we will miss Pound and Good again if they have to sit out for 7 days because of Covid protocols.
Depends on when their protocol started. Great to hear that Wilson is a test for this week tho' !!

OK, let me ask it this way.

We went after Cera because we needed a midfielder. Cera is a smooth mover with beautiful f50 delivery who can play inside and outside mid.

We went after Hewett as a free agent because of his defensive credentials and also he cost nothing in draft picks.

Apply the same logic to our recruitment of Dal Pos. What's the characteristics that made her a stand out recruiting target?

Could also ask the same thing with O'dea. In her day she was a great midfielder. But now she's quite slow and is the wrong side of 30.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app
For what it's worth, this is a much better approach than intimating that she was recruited for family connections.

The club knew that they were letting Katie Loynes and Al Downie go. Given the departure of that experience, I would think that replacing them with a very competent, very experienced, 28 year old, proven leader would have had a fair bit to do with it. Also, given that Chloe Dalton wanted to remain in Sydney, and the Giants are the only team up there, can you think of any other Victorians from the Giants you would have preferred to have?

Our club now has one of the youngest lists in the AFLW. So replacing lost experience was almost as important as getting in young talent.

I mentioned this in another thread, I think the list strategy has been pretty clear.

1. Get draft picks in the drafts before the compromises about to hit with 2 more Victorian teams being added.
2. Pick players who have a) an affinity with one another, b) have a history of playing together and c) have families who follow Carlton (if possible).

Then use that basis to build a "team" who'll hopefully want to stay - and develop - together.

Depends on when their protocol started. Great to hear that Wilson is a test for this week tho' !!
I assume since they were late outs, that it started Tuesday.

One of our problems is we are still gifting games to players who have been at the club from day 1 and have not really shown much improvement.

Nat Plane and to a extent Lauren Brazzale are two that come to mind.

One of our problems is we are still gifting games to players who have been at the club from day 1 and have not really shown much improvement.

Nat Plane and to a extent Lauren Brazzale are two that come to mind.
I agree whole-heartedly with this.

But are you forgetting that currently Grace Egan, Charlotte Wilson and Mimi Hill are unavailable, and that Annie Lee is fresh from the draft? Many are complaining about a lack of pace, if you took Brazzale out of the current side, that would be even worse.

I think players like those listed will come out of the side as others return and hopefully with some astute trading in coming years ...

For what it's worth, this is a much better approach than intimating that she was recruited for family connections.

The club knew that they were letting Katie Loynes and Al Downie go. Given the departure of that experience, I would think that replacing them with a very competent, very experienced, 28 year old, proven leader would have had a fair bit to do with it. Also, given that Chloe Dalton wanted to remain in Sydney, and the Giants are the only team up there, can you think of any other Victorians from the Giants you would have preferred to have?

Our club now has one of the youngest lists in the AFLW. So replacing lost experience was almost as important as getting in young talent.

I mentioned this in another thread, I think the list strategy has been pretty clear.

1. Get draft picks in the drafts before the compromises about to hit with 2 more Victorian teams being added.
2. Pick players who have a) an affinity with one another, b) have a history of playing together and c) have families who follow Carlton (if possible).

Then use that basis to build a "team" who'll hopefully want to stay - and develop - together.

None of them would want to stay if they get more $$$ somewhere else.

They get paid peanuts now, so any increase and they’re gone!

Imagine drafting, signing and picking more players that have the athleticism to play the game at the highest level with good skills, then training and preparing them to deliver on that. 🙃

Dreaming!.gif

None of them would want to stay if they get more $$$ somewhere else.

They get paid peanuts now, so any increase and they’re gone!
That's true for every club though, so what exactly is your point?

Money is one thing and locale is another - more intra Melbourne choice for Melbourne players - less so for interstators...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As soon as any player gets offered more money to play somewhere else, they will leave no matter if their husband plays for the men’s or their father is a legend of the club.

If you’re getting paid 500k and another team offers 550k it might turn your head but is it worth re-establishing in a new team/relocate, no. If you’re getting paid 50k and another team offers you 70k is it worth re-establishing yourself in a new team, in a new comp with not a lot of fan fair or notoriety, YES.

My point is, no one really cares if players leave or stay, a very small number of diehards/family members might but the general public, nup…

I agree whole-heartedly with this.

But are you forgetting that currently Grace Egan, Charlotte Wilson and Mimi Hill are unavailable, and that Annie Lee is fresh from the draft? Many are complaining about a lack of pace, if you took Brazzale out of the current side, that would be even worse.

I think players like those listed will come out of the side as others return and hopefully with some astute trading in coming years ...
Brazzle seems like she always second to the ball, regardless of how quick she may be. Like she doesn't want to go when it's her turn. Very frustrating to watch.

Plane on the other hand gives everything and is a beast of an athlete and also a great teammate. She just no good at football (unfortunately).

Money is one thing and locale is another - more intra Melbourne choice for Melbourne players - less so for interstators...
Again though, something that is true for all Melbourne clubs. Why should Carlton be more of a victim of it than other clubs?

As soon as any player gets offered more money to play somewhere else, they will leave no matter if their husband plays for the men’s or their father is a legend of the club.

If you’re getting paid 500k and another team offers 550k it might turn your head but is it worth re-establishing in a new team/relocate, no. If you’re getting paid 50k and another team offers you 70k is it worth re-establishing yourself in a new team, in a new comp with not a lot of fan fair or notoriety, YES.

My point is, no one really cares if players leave or stay, a very small number of diehards/family members might but the general public, nup…
I think you're both selling the women short here and ignoring other aspects.

As an example, imagine a young woman who's university age, so 19 - 22, and studying. If her parents are supporting her through Uni, then any footy wage is just a bonus. Playing in a cohesive team, with friends you've grown up playing with might have more of a bearing than an extra $10K or $20K.

You're talking as though this is a fully professional competition, which it's not. Most of the girls still work at another job.

And "no-one cares" is a stretch (even though it's hardly relevant to the discussion). I can't imagine there will be many Carlton AFLW supporters who "don't care" if Maddy runs off to the 'stains when they enter the comp.

Again though, something that is true for all Melbourne clubs. Why should Carlton be more of a victim of it than other clubs?
I'm just suggesting that perhaps interstate Clubs have locality advantages when it comes to player retention.

Brazzle seems like she always second to the ball, regardless of how quick she may be. Like she doesn't want to go when it's her turn. Very frustrating to watch.

Plane on the other hand gives everything and is a beast of an athlete and also a great teammate. She just no good at football (unfortunately).
But we go and give her a two year contract after last season. Crazy list management

Reminds me of someone on our AFL list we keep giving contracts to.

She might have the same set of photos.

Last edited:
I'm just suggesting that perhaps interstate Clubs have locality advantages when it comes to player retention.
Oh definitely, the interstate clubs hold all the cards when it comes to AFLW at the moment.

We're just gonna have to be patient until it's a genuinely professional competition and the women can base life decisions on the income that they'll receive from football. Or wait for the local women's leagues to be producing quality footballers at the same rate as the men's.

I just finished doing an appearance for a North AFLW podcast and he has the same concerns re
Reminds me of someone on our AFL list we keep giving contracts to.

She might have the same set of photos.

Struggling to think who that might be. Murphy and Casboult have gone. Most of the other multiple contact players have earned their spots currently.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back