AFLW Rnd 3 - Carlton v St Kilda Gameday

Remove this Banner Ad

The Carlton jumper is the attraction but it is so hard to watch. No disrespect to the girls as they are trying so hard.
What else can be expected from a comp in its fifth year? It will take a handful of years at least to get the skills to a level that exceeds endeavour. Tackling is the easiest skill to develop and it is dominating. The hands and feet will come and already are. Stick fat and say you were in on the ground level.

Last edited:
Just watched the replay, Harf much better this week. Let the kids loose and structured well against the wind. We were much better defensively with Mua leading the way. Saints a notch below Pies and Dogs but did what we had to. Grace Egan is a beast inside.
Play Moodie in the blokes, ruck problem fixed. Even tapped to targets in the second half.
Stevens and O’Dea sharpened up our forward line too. Loved Stevens neat left boot.
Maddy just...Maddy! Diesel like characteristics.
Well done ladies.

What else can be expected from a comp in its fourth year? It will take a handful of years at least to get the skills to a level that exceeds endeavour. Tackling is the easiest skill to develop and it is dominating. The hands and feet will come and already are. Stick fat and say you were in on the ground level.
By 2025 many of the players fundamental skills should be at a greater level than we are witnessing this season, even some the girls of the past few seasons that have managed too play all the way through in these modern day programs....
By 2030 the next generational crop will possess football skills awareness and execution of a higher standard than many of those ever before them, standards will improve dramatically...
Around 10 years from now is when AFLW will start hitting the peaks of its true potential...

One tactic skill I saw repeated was our players fighting for possession and handball forwards.
Not trying to turn and bang it on the boot.
Not handballing over the shoulder but a hand ball to player on the move ready to receive who then ran past said player
I would hope the men could learn this set up Barker take note it opens up the play by giving the hand ball receive a huge advantage
Linton st ground is a drop kick and a hand pass from me and my son played half time Auskick for Saints game last year
Holiday program was scheduled for him there they went through Stilda history the team song basically brainwashed to be a Saint
I thought it would be fun for skills and just kicking a footy around.
I drilled him on the deal you wear you’re Carlton jersey you barrack for Carlton but respect there club but don’t drink the coolaid
Then we had that small outbreak of COVID and they called it off
The great thing about the game was the song my youngest at three never gets to hear it.So to sing it with him was a lot of fun
It’s something I’m sure he’ll never remember but will be imprinted on his subconscious in a manner that will make him a better adult 😀

NEVER. IN. DOUBT.

EuJiRdVVEAIv-FH

We have the makings of an impressive team if we can get them firing at the same time.

Harris was injured last week and it showed this week. She still provides physicality and a contest in the air for our other players to take advantage of.

Great move by Harford to put O'Dea up forward. She's a taller player and not overly quick, but her forward pressure and tackling is great. She's also smart enough to position well and do the required body work. Her best game for us and a missing cog to our forward line.

I heard the big hopes for Abby McKay in the preseason and after seeing her first year and no football for her last year, I was dubious. She's turned into a big bodied inside mid who can stand in the tackle and win her own ball with poise. No wonder Prespakis can find room to move when she doesn't have to do all of our inside bullocking. McKay is effectively a new recruit.

Grace Egan showed why she is so important. A great season last year but her hands really let her down in the first two rounds of this season. Not last night, she was a real playmaker and mopped up so much ball. We need her to maintain her consistency every week.

Bree Moody is a colossus. Her hands were so much better last night and she was better at her feet. Taps to advantage with some of the midfield guns we have is a must and my god, she can take a strong grab when we need it.

Mua Laloifi is a class act in defence. Absolutely fearless and reads the play so well. She is particularly adept at running her opponent under the ball and doubling back with pace to clean things up. This could be used against her by a smart pacy half forward but this is where we need our own smalls running into the space to help out. Gab Pound could do this, but the interesting use of Lucy McEvoy across half back might also be the answer as she is strong in the tackle and uses the ball well.

Harrington is ultra consistent in defence and I have no issues with her. Charlotte Wilson has been dropping some easy marks and creating some scary moments for us. She needs to go back to the basics and regain the softer hands she had last year.

I'm a little concerned about the drop off from Georgia Gee. She's a ferocious tackler but just can't get a handle on the ball offensively, and is slamming the ball on to the boot without checking out her options.

Darcy Vescio has the skills to do far more, but she's trying to cheat too often by ducking out the back hoping for the ball to make it past the opposition to her. This invariably ends up in an easy rebound and setting up of play by the opposition. Secure the ball first or at least create a contest when it is your turn Darcy. The competition is too good now to let easy balls through.

Maddie Prespakis is a genius and I'd go to battle with her any time. Just so competitive and hates losing. Has toughness and mongrel and vision and ball handling skills and ... and ... hell, I'll just say it. She must be our captain going forward. She's a leader in every sense of the word, and we need to secure her future at the Carlton Football Club.

I missed someone before who needs a mention. Jess Hosking is better than her sister. She's improving all the time and is a brutal defender.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back