AFLW Rnd 4 - Carlton v Richmond Gameday

Remove this Banner Ad

Said it before and I'll say it again, the key to unlocking women's footy's true potential is focusing on a more handball orientated game. More run and carry and short accurate kicks. Trying to get handballs out to runners, generating more run from behind the stoppages, creating overlap with forward handballs and using short accurate kicks to players leading up at the ball carrier.

Yep there are going to be some mistakes made and some skill errors but we have to wear that as trying to kick it long too often just doesn't work and is horrible to watch.

Some of the passages of play where we handballed, ran with the ball and kicked it short to leads was great. Trying to kick it long rarely works in the game and I think we are going to see the better sides handballing, running and kicking short and accurate more. We are certainly improving and going in this direction and in years to come when the quality has lifted this is how it will be played and it will be good to watch.

There were a number of close games a couple of years back but the score was always 15 to 13 or something. I love that several of the games this year - not just featuring us - have been close *and* high scoring (relatively speaking).

The only issue now is the newer sides getting rolled so easily.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Yep. Classy.

I almost got into a fight at the game with some Richmond member. I haven't been in a dust up for 20years and I've never started one. Idjit just kept going on and on because I informed him he was in my seat.

It was funny how riled up he got when I just ignored him. By the time he'd started swearing about my mother and going in with the racial slurs, I'd had enough. Luckily other people in the crowd started having a go at him and he and his brothers (never alone these types) moved on. Not before informing me they'd wait for me outside. Mind you, these blokes would have been pushing fifty.

Anyway. We won. Yay.
that's ****ed.........do they have to infect everything they go to?

Days since the Punt Rd Ferals AFLW Team won a game :laughv1: :laughv1: :laughv1:

As for Kelli Underwood 🤮

Et8b6ybUcAM7O0b

So my watch kept telling me that my stress levels “seemed a little high” uhhh you think?? I don’t usually swear out loud at games but a few expletives definitely came out at several points.

That was way closer than it needed to be. Richmond definitely no longer the pushovers they were last year, and was troubling that we had few answers for Conti.

Relieved to get the four points though - a win is a win. Great to see Darcy bag a few, and a bit more composure from our backline. Let’s move on to next week and hope we are learning from all this.

Also if we could turn up to the game in the first quarter not the second that would be great.

I have a Lego librarian mini figure. She has a detachable coffee mug with shhh! on it. It's awesome.
I don't think I've ever told anyone to shhhhhhh in my library. I am usually the loudest in it.

Hello fellow librarian! Not footy related but reminds me of one of my favourite work memories when the students had to tell us librarians to be quiet cause we were making too much noise. Good times.

Yep. Classy.

I almost got into a fight at the game with some Richmond member. I haven't been in a dust up for 20years and I've never started one. Idjit just kept going on and on because I informed him he was in my seat.

It was funny how riled up he got when I just ignored him. By the time he'd started swearing about my mother and going in with the racial slurs, I'd had enough. Luckily other people in the crowd started having a go at him and he and his brothers (never alone these types) moved on. Not before informing me they'd wait for me outside. Mind you, these blokes would have been pushing fifty.

Anyway. We won. Yay.

Was this in the Legends Stand during the first quarter? If so I was right next to that. So glad they left and didn’t come back, was not enjoying them around one bit. Incredibly disrespectful.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So my watch kept telling me that my stress levels “seemed a little high” uhhh you think?? I don’t usually swear out loud at games but a few expletives definitely came out at several points.

That was way closer than it needed to be. Richmond definitely no longer the pushovers they were last year, and was troubling that we had few answers for Conti.

Relieved to get the four points though - a win is a win. Great to see Darcy bag a few, and a bit more composure from our backline. Let’s move on to next week and hope we are learning from all this.

Also if we could turn up to the game in the first quarter not the second that would be great.

Hello fellow librarian! Not footy related but reminds me of one of my favourite work memories when the students had to tell us librarians to be quiet cause we were making too much noise. Good times.

Was this in the Legends Stand during the first quarter? If so I was right next to that. So glad they left and didn’t come back, was not enjoying them around one bit. Incredibly disrespectful.
Yep, that was me. Guy was a Muppet, but I didn't want to engage. Had my niece and her boyfriend there. Kids all around. Just not appropriate behaviour for an adult.

I hate it when Wilson runs back for the loose ball in defence, then slows down massively to run around the ball to pick it up facing upfield, and she is caught immediately because of that tentativeness. Gather it and make space first.

Meanwhile, Kelli Underwood doing everything she can to get Maddie suspended. No way did she cause that. It was just momentum.
Wilson does it consistently, so do half of our players all coming to a complete halt so they can take possession of the ball...

Just got finished watching the game on delay. Another enjoyable game to watch. The standard is miles ahead of where it was just 2-3 years ago.

Harrington, Wilson, McEvoy and Pound were solid down back. Harrington played the anchor really well and Wilson was back reading and intercepting well again. Laloifi a bit quieter today.

Some great matchwinning patches from Prespakis in the 2nd and Vescio in the 3rd. Gee i like watching vescio play. She has great footy talent. Her and Stevens are hot and cold but their talent is good to watch. Well done Darcy.

Egan, Hosking, McKay and O'Dea did the grunt work and dit it well. I liked how Egan was really working on her kicking concentration today. It is not her strength but she is clearly working on her decision making and accuracy. You could tell. Good stuff. She gets the ball so well. A great talent, getting better.

The big girls, Moods, Downie and Harris a bit quiet today. Although while clearly looking a bit injured, Harris is still making her presence felt. Her and McKay are the Bruise Sisters.

All in all, we're 2 and 2, and put on 4 entertaining games.

We got away with that one. First quarter was super frustrating, but I think the rest of the match was a good scrap. Daisy Walker really stood out for me, mainly because I kept seeing the number 23 and wondering who the hell she was until I finally looked her up. She was in a lot of the play. Rapt for Darcy to have a standout game, Harrington was really good, Mua and Wilson saved our arses again many times.

That game typifies how ordinary we have been this year...won't beat many sides playing this brand of footy
As far as skill and game style we have gone backwards on last year, played a far better, quicker more attacking brand of footy last season... our skills, method, awareness and run are very ordinary unfortunately...

As far as skill and game style we have gone backwards on last year, played a far better, quicker more attacking brand of footy last season... our skills, method, awareness and run are very ordinary unfortunately...

This.
Did we fire our skills coach in Covid or something? Seriously what on earth has happened to our disposal this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back