AFLW Rnd 7 Carlton v Freo Gameday

Remove this Banner Ad

I genuinely love your work, thy, but your staunch defence of poor umpiring, and inability to grasp how influential their decisions (and non-decisions) are on the game, and the result, is the only thing more inexplicable than their interpretations of the rules of this sport.
Cheers, Ruckster. It's beyond me how anyone can follow a club participating in a sport where they truly believe their team isn't winning or losing on its own merit. I'll never understand it. I couldn't do it.

Is that the season sunk?

On SM-A515F using BigFooty.com mobile app

We need to win both our last two games (doable), boost our percentage, and have remaining results go our way (not guaranteed).

I have the feeling we may just miss out, which frustrating as it is, is a fair reflection on our season.

You clearly know nothing about momentum, go watch golf mate
Only if you come too so we can concentrate on the performance of the officials.

When you call holding the ball while the tackler is lying on the other players back you know you're dealing with a muppet who has no idea about the game they are officiating.
Been happening for 100 years. The curious thing is people waiting for things to change.

Last edited:
Bad luck blues... wonderful effort against one of the certain top contenders, finally got off to a strong start which paved the way for a 4qtr effort with great intensity all game... Unfortunately the late last Qtr 3 Freo goals in about 2 minutes ripped the game away from us in what should have been a crackin win, besides the loss that’s easily our best performance of the year...
The difference between us and the better teams in the competition atm is our skills run and ball movement...
Moody and Harringtan huge...

It's honestly about time the Carlton Football Club found the fortitude to pull a Clarko and back themselves in. Instead, as a club, we're all too happy to sit around and be bullied.

This happens regularly with on field umpiring and the AFL's decision making.

Until we do something about it I'm going to try to not criticize the umpires.

20 years of the same bullshit over and over again.

In all honesty I thought we were going to get blown out of the water, so to come out how we did was really heartening. That first quarter was brilliant. Still sucks that we lost it in the last few minutes - yes a lot of the umpiring was dubious at best, but I think we just ran out of gas when it mattered most. Good teams will run you down and that is exactly what Freo did.

Special mention to Willow who did a great job keeping Houghton (I think it was?) quiet for most of the game as well.

On a side note - interesting that Downie is no longer on rucking duties (or minimal), and Gibbs is stepping in to the second ruck role. Doona did some great things in defence, but doesn’t seem to have much of an impact as she used to. Wouldn’t be surprised if she hangs up the boots at seasons end.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was just wondering if you had a date for when this new world order would begin? Or will you be happy to bleat for the rest of your life? Cause other than your fellow moaners, conspiracy theorists and Einstein's theory of insanity advocates, no-one is listening.

It's honestly about time the Carlton Football Club found the fortitude to pull a Clarko and back themselves in. Instead, as a club, we're all too happy to sit around and be bullied.

This happens regularly with on field umpiring and the AFL's decision making.

Until we do something about it I'm going to try to not criticize the umpires.

20 years of the same bullshit over and over again.
You said it not me....

Only just got to watch the game on replay - was out and about this arvo and tried for a media blockout so I didn't hear the result beforehand, but unfortunately caught the tail end of the news and they read the scores. So at least I could watch the game without the emotion of gameday.

I'm prepared to get shot down for this, but I thought the umpiring was pretty good. We probably got a few 50/50's against us in the last 15 minutes or so, but didn't effect the result at all. And I'm the first one to slam the umpires if the officiating isn't up to standard as per the WCE game last year.

Freo's manic pressure in that 10 minute period was what won them the game, plus the fact that we persist on bombing the ball into the forward 50 hoping for the best. I also thought we got a pretty good run from the umps in the 1st half.

Our girls played their hearts out but weren't quite good enough to get over the line against a very good team.

In all honesty I thought we were going to get blown out of the water, so to come out how we did was really heartening. That first quarter was brilliant. Still sucks that we lost it in the last few minutes - yes a lot of the umpiring was dubious at best, but I think we just ran out of gas when it mattered most. Good teams will run you down and that is exactly what Freo did.

Special mention to Willow who did a great job keeping Houghton (I think it was?) quiet for most of the game as well.

On a side note - interesting that Downie is no longer on rucking duties (or minimal), and Gibbs is stepping in to the second ruck role. Doona did some great things in defence, but doesn’t seem to have much of an impact as she used to. Wouldn’t be surprised if she hangs up the boots at seasons end.
Downie has been way down on her usual output from previous years, has been one of our most consistent and important players playing mainly ruck, which now young Moody looks too be the preferred option who’s coming along wonderfully...
Be interesting what she decides to do whether she feels she has another year left in her atm 36yrs, Lyones played one of her better games of the season today who imo has not had the same impact as her early years, she is a wonderful leader and puts her body on the line for her teammates wonder if she thinks at 34yrs she might have another season in herself as well...
Both girls have been fantastic players for the club...

Only just got to watch the game on replay - was out and about this arvo and tried for a media blockout so I didn't hear the result beforehand, but unfortunately caught the tail end of the news and they read the scores. So at least I could watch the game without the emotion of gameday.

I'm prepared to get shot down for this, but I thought the umpiring was pretty good. We probably got a few 50/50's against us in the last 15 minutes or so, but didn't effect the result at all. And I'm the first one to slam the umpires if the officiating isn't up to standard as per the WCE game last year.

Freo's manic pressure in that 10 minute period was what won them the game, plus the fact that we persist on bombing the ball into the forward 50 hoping for the best. I also thought we got a pretty good run from the umps in the 1st half.

Our girls played their hearts out but weren't quite good enough to get over the line against a very good team.
shotdown for not blaming our loss on the umpiring performance? has it really come to this? that the default position of this place is blaming umpires and to actually say they were ok leaves you open to "getting shotdown"? far out!

shotdown for not blaming our loss on the umpiring performance? has it really come to this? that the default position of this place is blaming umpires and to actually say they were ok leaves you open to "getting shotdown"? far out!

images

Best game of the season, apart from the result I thought we played really well.

Turning point in my opinion, was where Greg made a mistake on the half back flank, it just turned the game and gave Freo the confidence to turn the game on its head. I don't blame Grace as she played a great game, but it just got the ball rolling for them and we didn't have the experience to shut them down.

Otherwise cracking game.

The umps didn't cost the side anything - they are like the crowd and favour momentum for any marginal calls at any time- Carlton gave the game away through continued lack of field kicking ability - has been obvious all season. Time to look at what exactly the coach is focusing on improving as far as moving the ball properly goes. The effort on the part of the players isn't an issue - it is everything else.

our girls are not fit enough.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back