Game Day AFLW RND 9 - Carlton v Gold Coast Friday 21st October 7.40M (AEDT) @ Metricon

Remove this Banner Ad

You forgot the most embarrassing stat of all,
Crowd attendance of 683

I was going to go but driving for an hour to get to Carrara for a wet game didn't motivate me.

Decent opinions on most of the players Coona, just a couple of observations.

Bernardi can't play again until we go beyond the minimum of 24 available players. I know you know that but for those reading, just wanted to make sure.

The 'woke' stuff you talk about with Vescio and in your last paragraph, has absolutely nothing to do with anything. How they identify does not affect their football. This is obviously a culture thing you don't understand or subscribe to, but it doesn't have any place in the discussion of players.

It's your issue, your political talking point. Can we leave it out?

Besides, the term 'woke' is used as an insult to describe someone or an organisation who pays lip service to these issues for clout but doesn't really believe in them. It's hard to make an argument that Vescio doesn't really believe in her own gender identification and that the club don't really support her choices.
Stopped reading after his disparaging Vescio comments. I too struggle with the many areas of intersectionality in the world today. I continually stuff up pronouns and other issues important to non-binary people. I choose to learn as best I can because everyone has the right to be treated equally. To suggest something at the very core of a person's identity may not affect her performance is pretty thoughtless.

Besides, the term 'woke' is used as an insult to describe someone or an organisation who pays lip service to these issues for clout but doesn't really believe in them. It's hard to make an argument that Vescio doesn't really believe in their own gender identification and that the club don't really support their choices.

EFA ;)
Non binary pronouns can be tricky

I'm not going to enter one person's debate about the effect gender issues have on children, except to ask ... what effect? How does this make children's life harder? If anything, children are more pliable than we are and early learning makes things second nature.

Growing up in the 70s and early 80s, homosexuality was a strange concept and the subject of much cruelty and mirth. Now, it's commonplace and only ridiculed by insecure people and religion.

I suspect gender issues will eventually become the same. If society started with 10 genders, nobody would bat an eyelid. It's the change and the learning that hurts.

Oh yeah, I have a 26 year old daughter and a 10 year old daughter. My 26 year old struggles to get her head around trans issues sometimes, as do I. My 10 year old is interested in learning and understanding. I hold no fears for her. She will be who she wants to be and I will support and love her regardless.

It's a brave new world.

It's all love folks.

To prove it, I'm not going to use my moderator hat to enter an argument and manipulate it to my own ends. Something I've never done by the way. My poster hat is firmly on. My mod hat tells people that other mods might have their own opinions and certain rules of decency still apply.

You can see the girls are clearly having a crack, that’s the single most important thing required, quicker style ball movement, pressure and application has been good…
Past 3 seasons we unfortunately have lost a group of best22 senior players that has hurt us recently, it’s clearly hindered the clubs depth and its protection to develop bringing along it’s next wave of youth through…
Many of our players, just an observation, don’t possess atm or look to have in general some of the required basic general skills, spacial/awareness, positioning, poise or decision making when comparing to the rest of the competition’s best…
We only have a handful of players that are top end, a blended host of youngsters that have potential and many yet unknown and the worst list as far as general strength class and tall forwards goes…

Elyse O'Dea had a piece of play where she launched a kick from the right forward boundary to the advantage of Milford and somehow Milford got nowhere near it.

Not long after she again launched a kick towards Milford who was hopelessly out of position and turned it over. The players were all turning and running towards our goal. The percentage play was to hold the ball, lower the eyes and catch one of our midfielders running down the corridor 30m out.

Just no poise. All guts, no glory.

For an experienced player, O'Dea is incredibly hit and miss.
Office Peter Hoey GIF by Mohegan Sun

I have doubts on Trudgeon, Milford and Gibbs as KPDs.
So do I, given two of them are forwards. :p
Why are certain players still there and working hard?
They number too few, and worse still, very few of them work smart, on or off the field. Organisational failures abound.
Would we level the same criticism at Cripps if players left?
This is probably one of the bigger knocks I have against Cripps: probably too hard line with certain things, though wouldn't be alone in the league with that respect. I think the recent allegations at Hawthorn should highlight that clubland looking for 'hardened men' to thrash around is not a good model for running any business, even a football club.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back