Autopsy AFLW Round 1, 2020: St.Kilda v Western Bulldogs

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 11 68.8%
  • Bulldogs

Votes: 5 31.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The McDonalds logo on the shorts seems to have gone under the radar. Is that just a local store sponsoring?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Signed as the clubs official quick service restaurant. I dont think it's a local one since they dont name a store specifically.

Well we see a loss differently. I actually don’t care but other sorts of sports do.
I think it's about growing support for the code of women's footy, regardless of result. Greeting the players will make fans feel more involved, and therefore more willing to come to the next game when it's not so much about "the event". A simple "thanks for coming" is a very powerful statement.
Hopefully someone took notice and this is rectified next time.

I think it's about growing support for the code of women's footy, regardless of result. Greeting the players will make fans feel more involved, and therefore more willing to come to the next game when it's not so much about "the event". A simple "thanks for coming" is a very powerful statement.
Hopefully someone took notice and this is rectified next time.
I don’t think one person would come back if they did that. I certainly hope they don’t do it after a loss. if they did as you say and did a lap and signed stuff I reckon people are more likely to say I’m not going again because the women arent treating it anything but seriously so why should I.

No never seen it. Never seen any club do it. Imagine walking the boundary after a loss signing autographs. What a bad look that'd be.
That's the AFL, though. They have a guaranteed audience and a 120+ year history behind them.

Growing sports need all the fan engagement they can get to grow.

I don’t think one person would come back if they did that. I certainly hope they don’t do it after a loss. if they did as you say and did a lap and signed stuff I reckon people are more likely to say I’m not going again because the women arent treating it anything but seriously so why should I.
I don't really think anyone would think players are not taking their game seriously by saying thanks for coming to our game, but happy to agree to disagree.

Congrats to Georgia on getting a rising star nomination on debut. Easy to see why she was voted by the coaches pre season as the favourite for the award.

I didn't get to see the whole game unfortunately, feed kept cutting out. But yes was so easy to see why she was so highly rated. Hoping we can hang on to her.

That's the AFL, though. They have a guaranteed audience and a 120+ year history behind them.

Growing sports need all the fan engagement they can get to grow.
So I assume you think the kids are who the AFLW are targeting. Well those kids don't know the AFL has been around 120 years. I doubt not signing autographs after a loss makes that much of a difference. Kids usually don't remember things like that forever.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Congrats to Georgia on getting a rising star nomination on debut. Easy to see why she was voted by the coaches pre season as the favourite for the award.

just saw on twitter that Lucy McEvoy from Carlton got a Rising Star nom.
How many are there?

How the hell do you do an ACL there? It doesnt even look like her leg touches the ground.
It wasn't in that incident, it happened about a minute before 3 qtr time, just turned the wrong way. I heard her say to the trainers that she heard it pop.

It was a great day, despite the result. There were I think 11 players who were playing AFL for the first time and 8 who hadn't played with their teammates in the VFL, so it'll take some time to build up the cohesion that saw the VFL team make a prelim last year.

I havent read all the comments yet but i had to say the women put in an incredible final three quarters against the Bulldogs . What really impressed me the most was the tackling . You just know that the Bulldog women would have been as sore as hell after the game . Obviously the coaches have worked really hard on that part of the game and it showed. some of the tackles were as good as you would see in a mans game . They just got away from us in the first quarter but the women fought on hard and i was really proud of them . I have a feeling they will win some good games this season which is pretty impressive for a new team with about half of the team just starting in that level. Maybe the nerves of the occasion got to them early but after that they looked great , just some disposal errors at times which could have got them closer if they had been clean .
moorabbin looked fantastic and was great to see a capacity crowd there . i just wish people would stop calling them girls , they are women and they are Saints Women . Go Saints.

She looks like a beauty , moves like a machine .

Back