Autopsy AFLW Round 1, 2021: St.Kilda v Western Bulldogs

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 16 88.9%
  • Bulldogs

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

And the best game of the round and probably close to ever and Chanel 7 didn't televise it on a Friday night. The networks still have NFI. High scoring, shoot out, rivals, skill. That should be the model for AFLW, they'd win over some converts.

I thought if we had a weakness, it was our defence, not a lot of spoiling going on.

On SM-T290 using BigFooty.com mobile app
I thought they went alright given they were probably a bit outsized.
Losing FitzPatrick and Jakobsson would have hurt but Brown and Priest stepped up.
Think we might have just run out of steam toward the end.
When they got that run on Brown was in the ruck so would have been even shorter.
Definitely still room for improvement on spoiling but were some good grabs there too from WB.

2692042ad3196177b7e612c7eb74364a.jpg
She is gunna be a superstar, and young Smith as well.
Struck by the quality of the game, the skills are improving exponentially, and the defensive side of the game really impressed. The tackling especially the Saints was super impressive.

Have to admit, couldn't care less about AFLW until we had a team. Now with my niece at the Dogs, I follow two . Happy she didn't play last night though

Not surprised to see Burkey giving a lot of the Saints girls a big hug. He coached many at TAC level and my sister in law tells me the girls absolutely love him (as did the parents).
Think I finally fell for AFLW last night.

She is gunna be a superstar, and young Smith as well.
Struck by the quality of the game, the skills are improving exponentially, and the defensive side of the game really impressed. The tackling especially the Saints was super impressive.

Have to admit, couldn't care less about AFLW until we had a team. Now with my niece at the Dogs, I follow two . Happy she didn't play last night though

Not surprised to see Burkey giving a lot of the Saints girls a big hug. He coached many at TAC level and my sister in law tells me the girls absolutely love him (as did the parents).
Think I finally fell for AFLW last night.

Burke is a genuinely warm guy. He's got the perfect personality to work with millennials. I imagine he's a very positive coach.

Got some great talent down at the club. Patrikios will win best & fairests, Greiser won the league goalkicking last year, Smith and Vogt were superb tonight.

Clearly we are well drilled, Peta has us playing great team footy. It's an exciting, attacking brand and great to watch. Try to move the ball fast, have some seriously talented girls in the midfield which helps.

A lot of AFLW is very stop-start, error filled scraps but in the games I've seen us play last year and tonight obviously yes we do have skill error but we are a lot cleaner with the ball than most sides and we can actually score...none of these 2 goal games, we always put a few on the board.

I'm not surprised though, we were very strong in the VFLW in the year or two preceding the creation of the AFLW, making preliminary finals and beating sides like the Dogs who back then were (with Melbourne) the best in the comp. A lot of girls around the league have come from the south-east Vic region and I reckon we are in a fantastic location for girls playing grass roots. I think it was 1 in 4 girls playing football in the VFLW were from the south-east.

Lets hope this continues because we again look great to watch and have enough scoring power to challenge any side.

Great start to 2021!
Here here George

Carn the Saints!

I get this feeling that the AFLW contracts are shirt term only like 1 year only?

Does anyone know?
Think you can go to a 2 year contract as we have a few girls signed on for next year already. And those were announced last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1611971549113.png

MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA - JANUARY 29: Saints fans are seen before the 2021 AFLW Round 01 match between the St Kilda Saints and the Western Bulldogs at RSEA Park on January 29, 2021 in Melbourne, Australia. (Photo by Michael Willson/AFL Photos)

1611971632850.png

MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA - JANUARY 29: Saints players run onto the ground during the 2021 AFLW Round 01 match between the St Kilda Saints and the Western Bulldogs at RSEA Park on January 29, 2021 in Melbourne, Australia. (Photo by Michael Willson/AFL Photos)

1611971719938.png

MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA - JANUARY 29: Caitlin Greiser of the Saints kicks a goal during the round 1 AFLW match between the St Kilda Saints and the Western Bulldogs at RSEA Park on January 29, 2021 in Melbourne, Australia. (Photo by Robert Cianflone/Getty Images via AFL Photos)

1611971797161.png

MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA - JANUARY 29: Kate Shierlaw of the Saints celebrates after scoring a goal during the round 1 AFLW match between the St Kilda Saints and the Western Bulldogs at RSEA Park on January 29, 2021 in Melbourne, Australia. (Photo by Robert Cianflone/Getty Images via AFL Photos)

1611971860058.png

MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA - JANUARY 29: Catherine Phillips of the Saints in action during the 2021 AFLW Round 01 match between the St Kilda Saints and the Western Bulldogs at RSEA Park on January 29, 2021 in Melbourne, Australia. (Photo by Michael Willson/AFL Photos)

1611971924560.png

MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA - JANUARY 29: Nadia von Bertouch of the Saints in action during the 2021 AFLW Round 01 match between the St Kilda Saints and the Western Bulldogs at RSEA Park on January 29, 2021 in Melbourne, Australia. (Photo by Michael Willson/AFL Photos)

1611972023879.png

MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA - JANUARY 29: Tyanna Smith of the Saints celebrates her first goal with teammates during the 2021 AFLW Round 01 match between the St Kilda Saints and the Western Bulldogs at RSEA Park on January 29, 2021 in Melbourne, Australia. (Photo by Michael Willson/AFL Photos)

1611972071471.png

MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA - JANUARY 29: Kate McCarthy of the Saints (centre) and Jacqui Vogt of the Saints celebrate during the 2021 AFLW Round 01 match between the St Kilda Saints and the Western Bulldogs at RSEA Park on January 29, 2021 in Melbourne, Australia. (Photo by Michael Willson/AFL Photos)

1611972128700.png

MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA - JANUARY 29: Rosie Dillon of the Saints in action during the 2021 AFLW Round 01 match between the St Kilda Saints and the Western Bulldogs at RSEA Park on January 29, 2021 in Melbourne, Australia. (Photo by Michael Willson/AFL Photos)

1611972165820.png

MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA - JANUARY 29: Alice Burke of the Saints in action during the 2021 AFLW Round 01 match between the St Kilda Saints and the Western Bulldogs at RSEA Park on January 29, 2021 in Melbourne, Australia. (Photo by Michael Willson/AFL Photos)

1611972289349.png

1611972232344.png

MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA - JANUARY 29: Deanna Berry of the Bulldogs is tackled by Hannah Priest of the Saints during the 2021 AFLW Round 01 match between the St Kilda Saints and the Western Bulldogs at RSEA Park on January 29, 2021 in Melbourne, Australia. (Photo by Michael Willson/AFL Photos)

1611972324164.png

MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA - JANUARY 29: Alison Brown of the Saints and Celine Moody of the Bulldogs compete for the ball during the round 1 AFLW match between the St Kilda Saints and the Western Bulldogs at RSEA Park on January 29, 2021 in Melbourne, Australia. (Photo by Robert Cianflone/Getty Images via AFL Photos)

Back