Autopsy AFLW Round 1, 2022: St.Kilda v Richmond

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 10 83.3%
  • Tigers

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

No coincidence that the quicker more agile teams do well. Less players on the field, more space, being able to cover the ground quicker hides a myriad of skill errors too. Creating space for yourself increases your execution skill too.

Tigers more athletic and skillful. Conti just dances around us.

They were very clean, a couple of passages of play were as good as mens footy. We looked like when you get middle aged men playing a charity match.

So much of AFLW is still dictated by your best 2-3 players. And right now, we dont have ours.

The drop down in quality to our next best is drastic and it showed tonight.

Biggest problem is that we knew we were without our best 2. And we still looked like deer in headlights.
Hopefully we bounce back. But that was not a very promising start.

So much of AFLW is still dictated by your best 2-3 players. And right now, we dont have ours.

The drop down in quality to our next best is drastic and it showed tonight.

They ran the ball in waves and had much less critical error stuff. We kicked really badly, played second to the ball, flopped to the ground and generally just looked scrappy. We only have a couple of girls that look AFL standard. The seem to bat deep.

Biggest problem is that we knew we were without our best 2. And we still looked like deer in headlights.
Hopefully we bounce back. But that was not a very promising start.
We aren't going to bounce back. This is what we are this season.

You can't replace quality like that in any league, let alone one where the gap between the best and the rest is probably the biggest in sport right now.

That's not the umpires. That's the rules committee.

We were just not up to it.
Lacking skills and composure.
And a lack of fitness. Do have questions in regards to what they worked on during the preseason.
We knew we would have the best 2 players out for the season unless GP changed her mind.

I thought both were the wrong call where the knees got dropped into a player trying to dig the ball out.

They ran the ball in waves and had much less critical error stuff. We kicked really badly, played second to the ball, flopped to the ground and generally just looked scrappy. We only have a couple of girls that look AFL standard. The seem to bat deep.
They've been able to bring in ready made guns from other clubs.

We couldn't convince anyone to join us (despite playing better than then for 2 years) so have been filling our list with draftees, delisted players and VFLW players. I dont think we've attracted 1 decent named player from another clubs our entire 3 years!

We really need to find a way to get some quality in from other clubs, but that will be even more difficult with the new clubs coming in this year. It's going to be a long slog.

Last edited:
classic. A year where we might get the number 1 pick they add 2 teams to ruin the draft pool.
They can't ruin the Vic pool. This year's Vic pool is the best one yet - not close. The concern I'd have is that, by the time the expansion teams have taken the first four picks, the rest of the first round is looking fairly even (although a lot can change in a year). So, the finals teams may end up getting about the same level of talent as the bottom ranked Vic team. Then, you have to contend with the second round pick being #27 at the earliest.

If St Kilda goes as badly as some people are predicting, then I think there has to be at least one first round priority pick.

They can't ruin the Vic pool. This year's Vic pool is the best one yet - not close. The concern I'd have is that, by the time the expansion teams have taken the first four picks, the rest of the first round is looking fairly even (although a lot can change in a year). So, the finals teams may end up getting about the same level of talent as the bottom ranked Vic team. Then, you have to contend with the second round pick being #27 at the earliest.

If St Kilda goes as badly as some people are predicting, then I think there has to be at least one first round priority pick.
Do you think they would consider changing that order if one of the new clubs poaches some good player, like they did the year we came in?

Do you think they would consider changing that order if one of the new clubs poaches some good player, like they did the year we came in?
I hope so, but I fear not. The compensation system the last couple of times has been terrible. While I believe the league massaged the situation to get compensation for the Dogs and Lions, I don't know that for sure. That's hardly a good way to be running even a semi-pro comp anyway.

I hope so, but I fear not. The compensation system the last couple of times has been terrible. While I believe the league massaged the situation to get compensation for the Dogs and Lions, I don't know that for sure. That's hardly a good way to be running even a semi-pro comp anyway.
They are going to have a tricky balancing act between giving Ess/Haw enough to not be too far behind, but also not set our batch of expansion clubs back to square 1.

When you look at the best womens players in the aflw they all have that similar build and body type . That kinda tall , athletic, not too hourglass. We don’t seem too have too many of those in our side . Over the next few years I imagine natural progression will have them slowly morph and look more similar as survival of the fittest and most skilled kicks in I guess .
Just an observation really.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They are going to have a tricky balancing act between giving Ess/Haw enough to not be too far behind, but also not set our batch of expansion clubs back to square 1.
I have no faith in the people in charge. I think they'll make some rules and hope that everything goes according to plan. Only if things go really, really wrong do I think they'll intervene.

OK, I'm not usually one to overreact, but * it.

Replacing a well-credentialled and respected coach with a part-timer who - to my knowledge - has never coached an actual team is a total joke. Sure, our two best players are injured, but that was embarrassing, and the decision to appoint Dalla shows that we are not taking this whole competition seriously, IMO.

OK, I'm not usually one to overreact, but fu** it.

Replacing a well-credentialled and respected coach with a part-timer who - to my knowledge - has never coached an actual team is a total joke. Sure, our two best players are injured, but that was embarrassing, and the decision to appoint Dalla shows that we are not taking this whole competition seriously, IMO.
Not to disparage the AFLW, but it’d be equivalent to coaching under 15’s. If an accountant can turn up on the weekend and do it, Nicky Dal - an extremely smart footballer - can certainly do it.

Should have gotten more priority picks this year but they gave us nothing essentially. Clubs in the same spot got given first round picks

You can tell Dal is a professional media performer. Has the cliches but also the analysis like he's doing a post-game segment on radio.
He sounds so hopeful. I do like listening to him speak. Ratts sounded hopeful too once. Give him another month fronting these conferences, he’ll have the dead behind the eyes look

Dal's post match pretty much covered it. Its early days and with the late outs we were up against it.
Richmond were better. Their mids smashed us.
Added to that, we just did not execute. No doubt about it we were a couple of quality mids short.
Hooly dooly they need to be able to hit a target 20-30m. The level of disposal efficiency we displayed tonight just doesn't cut it.

Tip top presser from Dal though. As good as you would ever get from a coach.

They've been able to bring in ready made guns from other clubs.

We couldn't convince anyone to join us (despite playing better than then for 2 years) so have been filling our list with draftees, delisted players and VFLW players. I dont think we've attracted 1 decent named player from another clubs our entire 3 years!

We really need to find a way to get some quality in from other clubs, but that will be even more difficult with the new clubs coming in this year. It's going to be a long slog.

That was the problem of the AFL expanding the AFLW too quick and too soon.

There is only so many "A Graders" (the best of the best) to go around, and they eithier stuck with one of the original 8 clubs because they felt they'd be playing finals footy or made their move in the first phase of expansion. Richmond being the outlier.

As an Essendon supporter, we'll have some okay talent, but will lack "A Graders" - unless we convince Maddy Prespakis to leave the Blues.

I feel for Gold Coast who are struggling for elite talent, and GWS are going to be stuffed when the lose some quality players to the Swans, and their older players retire.

Got a feeling (sorry to say it Saints fans) there's going to be a big gap in quality between the top half of teams and the bottom half for a good few years.

Back