Game Day AFLW Round 1 Geelong v North Melbourne @ Baked Potato Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Daria Bannister was the surprise pack for me today. Just had a physical presence that helped to intimidate the cats.
Shout out to Mia King, Gilroy and Ashmore for great games.
And when ya 5th best mid (Gavalas) has 19 possessions and kicks 3 goals you're going ok.
Freo very impressive against GWS. To beat them we need our B graders like the above names to play well.

Freo are our biggest threat. I wouldn’t like to play them in a knockout game over there.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Oh, I wasn't talking about the special comments folks, although I do think Bec does a great job.

Also has the distinction of being the only sports commentator in recorded history to work the phrase 'quince paste' into a call.

Awesome game, btw. A joy to watch.

Everyone's covered the main stuff already, so won't be repeato guy. Personally, a highlight for me was the on-point defensive positioning of the Backline. Significant sections of the game where the Cats could hardly get it past the centre without it coming straight back at them. A little 'foot off the pedal' action in the last notwithstanding, it was a completely dominant performance and a very formidable start to the season.

Goals aplenty, but specific shout out to Emma King's first quarter major from the tight angle (excellent kick), and Kashy's very well-executed last quarter goal on the run.

It's not often these days that I get to experience that warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from witnessing North truly crush an opponent. God bless the AFLW team for bringing that feeling back again.

Our first win at Geelong since we kickstarted their dynasty in 07?
The girls won there last season, it was the last game to have a crowd before the fit hit the shan.

The last time the girls played at Kardinia park, they scored the final 10.4 of the game, yesterday they scored the first 8.4.

That's 18.8.116 to 0.0.0 between the 3rd minute of the second quarter last year and 3rd minute of the fourth quarter this year.

The girls won there last season, it was the last game to have a crowd before the fit hit the shan.

The last time the girls played at Kardinia park, they scored the final 10.4 of the game, yesterday they scored the first 8.4.

That's 18.8.116 to 0.0.0 between the 3rd minute of the second quarter last year and 3rd minute of the fourth quarter this year.
If only we rattled up scores like that against their AFL(M) team!
We've rarely beaten them since they started their dynasty. And it's been eons since we've thrashed them.
At a guess I reckon our winning % is the worst against them versus other teams in the last 15 years. Pies would be up there too.

If only we rattled up scores like that against their AFL(M) team!
We've rarely beaten them since they started their dynasty. And it's been eons since we've thrashed them.
At a guess I reckon our winning % is the worst against them versus other teams in the last 15 years. Pies would be up there too.
Since the start of 2007 our worst record is against Sydney 4-15-1. Against Geelong we are 6-16. The last time we beat them by more than 40pts was 2015 at Docklands.

Currently the only women's team with a winning record against us is Fremantle. Hopefully that will change in a few weeks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back