AFLW Toast R1: 26 point win over the Hawkes!!

Remove this Banner Ad

C859A17C-CA86-4D7D-9369-560095D68D12.jpeg

ROUND 1​

ESSENDON VS HAWTHORNE
MARVEL STADIUM
7.20PM SATURDAY 27TH AUGUST 2022​

TEAM​

FB: Danielle Marshall (6), Cat Phillips (35)
HB: Sophie Van De Heuvel (27), Sophie Alexander (24), Stephanie Cain (20)
C: Alana Barba (11), Joanne Doonan (12), Georgia Gee (2)
HF: Daria Bannister (3), Jess Wuestschner (21), Federica Frew (17)
FF: Bonnie Toogood (8), Amber Clarke (33)
Fol: Steph Wales (30), Madison Prespakis (4), Jacqui Vogt (10)
I/C: Ellyse Gamble (14), Ash Van Loon (26), Amelia Radford (22), Paige Scott (32), Mia Van Dyke (19)

EMG: Renee Tierney (23), Alex Morcom (?), Megan Ryan (?)

BROADCAST

7mate and FoxFooty
(probably also Kayo)​

AFLW tickets went on sale at 10 this morning for members, and 2pm for general public.

There are now fewer than 300 tickets left for our first round game against Hawthorn, and the clubs have stepped up their lobbying to move it to Marvel ^

For context, ETU/North Port is supposed to hold 10k (per the womens.afl website, there are conflicting reports of 6-12k), so presumably 9700 tickets sold. Not bad for a couple of newbie teams.

Have been waiting for this to happen for the last 5/6 or so years. In that time I've had to show some interest in Brisbane or the Suns.

Finally, when we as a club get our time to shine, the club implodes. * you EFC!

Go the Girls!!!! Despite the shite our club is atm, I can't wait for the start of the season and for you to pump these pretenders, like we did in 84/85!

Any chance we can petition the AFL to bring this game forward, to say Thursday night? If for no other reason (At least for a couple of hours) than to forget about the s**t storm we've created for ourselves over the last week.

Hope that the Bomber faithful turn up for this match, yet fear that the shenanigans from the club has left more than a few thinking that they cbf.

I will be watching from afar, been waiting for this to happen for a number of years. Go GIRLS!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stopped to listen to Bec Goddard being interviewed about our game this weekend and she’s talking about how great it is being embedded in the men’s program and how she and Sam Mitchell were talking this morning about tactics and what the game might look like on Saturday.

😡😡 gone and robbed ourselves of that too haven’t we!

Stopped to listen to Bec Goddard being interviewed about our game this weekend and she’s talking about how great it is being embedded in the men’s program and how she and Sam Mitchell were talking this morning about tactics and what the game might look like on Saturday.

😡😡 gone and robbed ourselves of that too haven’t we!
Not sure I'd want the team embedded in with the men's program. Fighting on field, walking away from the captain, ignoring the coach etc. We needed a culture like that of the VFLW driven by folk like Brendan Major, Mia-Rae Clifford, Courtney Ugle...

I made the mistake of enabling the club with funds by buying some children's memberships at the start of July. Email today saying packs will be sent out late August. My enthusiasm has already been sapped.

Not sure I'd want the team embedded in with the men's program. Fighting on field, walking away from the captain, ignoring the coach etc. We needed a culture like that of the VFLW driven by folk like Brendan Major, Mia-Rae Clifford, Courtney Ugle...

I made the mistake of enabling the club with funds by buying some children's memberships at the start of July. Email today saying packs will be sent out late August. My enthusiasm has already been sapped.
If our men’s program was what it ought to be then there’s no reason the women’s program shouldn’t be under the same banner with the same people (or teams of people) supporting both or all four teams.

The fact you don’t want the women’s team embedded in our club says more about everything else going on at the club lately than it does about what we should ideally have in place… and really, Woody has a hand tied behind her back with all of this overshadowing the first ever game.

If our men’s program was what it ought to be then there’s no reason the women’s program shouldn’t be under the same banner with the same people (or teams of people) supporting both or all four teams.

The fact you don’t want the women’s team embedded in our club says more about everything else going on at the club lately than it does about what we should ideally have in place… and really, Woody has a hand tied behind her back with all of this overshadowing the first ever game.
Not just lately though. The culture has been rotten for years.

I am pretty sure that the only media that turned up to this press conference is Essendon's digitals team throwing Dixers at them 😅😅😅

There's a whole cohort of AFLW journos and Essendon beat writers that didn't turn up (and no it's not that the club didn't invite anyone, there is a weekly email that informs the AFL accredited media of dates, times, locations, etc)

Will this be on kayo?
It should be on 7 mate and FoxFooty – I'm pretty sure Kayo has rights to all the FoxFooty content so logically it should also be on Kayo. Weird that they haven't specified it though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back