Autopsy AFLW Round 10, 2022: St.Kilda v Adelaide

Who Wins?

• Saints

• Crows

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

50 is too harsh in the women's. That needs to change
Would love a season breakdown on the proportion of scores from frees and especially the proportion of scores from 50s. I find myself flabbergasted each week by the horrendous decisions against us...but many times by the ridiculous decisions for us. Is there really a need for this much intervention by umpires, seemingly they feel the need to "protect" the women players. If only they umpired the contact decisions with the same liberalism that they umpire the handball/non-handball decisions. And yes - 50m penalties should definitely be 20m penalties.

We’ve got a very young team. Imagine when a few of them put on muscle and conditioning like Erin Phillips. We’ve already got good tackle pressure too so it’ll really hurt when they’re even stronger
Unfortunately being young they tend to ball watch instead of getting to an opponent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well we've avoided the spoon and should have pick 1 from the Vics. But unlucky for us, the new Vic clubs get picks 1-4, so we'll end up with 5. And hopefully a priority pick too, it would be an injustice if we don't.

Well done to Adelaide for building a womens football juggernaut that drives the high standards that sees them produce even more talent than they were given, but god do I hope Port do everyone a favour and make a massive dent in their list.

Tells you everything you need to know about the league that the exact same clubs made finals this year.

Well we've avoided the spoon and should have pick 1 from the Vics. But unlucky for us, the new Vic clubs get picks 1-4, so we'll end up with 5. And hopefully a priority pick too, it would be an injustice if we don't.

Might be the rose coloured glasses, but it would be very brazen of the league to allow Essendon to take Patrikios and not invent a way for Pick 1/2/3 to land in our laps as a sneakily disguised compo

Can't allow new clubs to pick and pillage the bottom ones, they just cannot let it happen

Well done to Adelaide for building a womens football juggernaut that drives the high standards that sees them produce even more talent than they were given, but god do I hope Port do everyone a favour and make a massive dent in their list.

Tells you everything you need to know about the league that the exact same clubs made finals this year.

They're basically a state team though. They'll still be strong with Port entering, but hopefully the 10 goal floggings will dissipate.

The Lions are the ones I marvel at. Always up there, non football state, had the Suns enter, been poached, still won the premiership, and will finish top 4 again this season.

Might be the rose coloured glasses, but it would be very brazen of the league to allow Essendon to take Patrikios and not invent a way for Pick 1/2/3 to land in our laps as a sneakily disguised compo

Can't allow new clubs to pick and pillage the bottom ones, they just cannot let it happen

Yeah didn't they do that with Conti? Or maybe that was a trade, I can't remember

Yeah didn't they do that with Conti? Or maybe that was a trade, I can't remember
I’m not close to the girls team so I’ve really enjoyed reading your contributions this season. 👍
To the outside observer, your posts were really helpful in understanding the team, its character and its characters, and its development.
My understanding, and please correct me, is that we started a long way back.
Injury and unavailability weakened an already challenged group.

Yet looking at the results of the last few weeks and taking on board the commentary here, I’d hazard that although the win/loss doesn’t show it there has been significant growth. And we are much better placed at the end of the year than we were at the start.

Dal seems to be invested in the group, and they with him.

Maybe they both grew into their roles: he in being their coach and they in understanding what he was asking of them.

Acknowledging that there is still a long way to go, would you agree with my thoughts?

I’m not close to the girls team so I’ve really enjoyed reading your contributions this season. 👍
To the outside observer, your posts were really helpful in understanding the team, its character and its characters, and its development.
My understanding, and please correct me, is that we started a long way back.
Injury and unavailability weakened an already challenged group.

Yet looking at the results of the last few weeks and taking on board the commentary here, I’d hazard that although the win/loss doesn’t show it there has been significant growth. And we are much better placed at the end of the year than we were at the start.

Dal seems to be invested in the group, and they with him.

Maybe they both grew into their roles: he in being their coach and they in understanding what he was asking of them.

Acknowledging that there is still a long way to go, would you agree with my thoughts?

Cheers sunny. Yeah, we were behind the eight-ball from the start. The previous coach departed. A couple of handy players departed. A brand new coach and gameplan enters. Then a few weeks before the first bounce we lose our two best mids (one our best player and dual B&F) for the season. Dal had to adapt quickly and started training Lucas-Rodd as a midfielder.

After round one I said that I think we’ll improve as the season progresses. Not such a wild prediction as everyone tipped us for the spoon haha. But we have such a keen and resilient group. And many of us know Dal Santo’s traits, he’ll get the most out of them. We have 15 players under 23, and nine over 29. It’s quite a polarising group age wise, hardly any in the usual “prime years”. In fact there’s only Lucas-Rodd and Van Dyk in their prime playing regularly. But I think the women’s game probably have different prime years, they haven’t played as long and had their bodies knocked around, plus the shorter seasons add to longevity in the game.

There were a few good signs by about round four. It was around our seventh match that things started to click, players were linking up, work around packs improved. It helped playing easier teams too, sometimes you need to play a few bunnies to unlock what you’re capable of. Today we saw a footballing state team (SA) defeat a team with players from a state shared by eight other team (soon to be 10), the result was nothing to be ashamed of and I think we made them earn it.

Yeah, Dal is very invested. I feel a bit bad for him with all the sh*t he’s copped, he really entered the job with spirit and good intentions but people wanted to put him down from the start. I’ve been calling on him to be our line coach for years, he’s clearly capable. Just people with a chip on their shoulder want to shake their fist at something. But it’s nice to see some of the morons go quiet about him on social media recently. I haven’t heard a bad word about him from anyone who actually counts. He wasn’t afraid to shuffle players around to find what works, some coaches are too stubborn to change.

The growth has been noticeable. I don’t get much wrong but happy to acknowledge it when I do. When I saw Jakobsson last season I thought she looked lost and might not make it (almost like Ott this season). Well, this season she’s doubled her output, hitting targets, hard at it, spoiling contests and on the verge of All-Australian! It’s the best season of her career. How much was due to Dal, Jakobsson, or to the defence getting bombarded I don’t know. Choosing Lucas-Rodd to switch to the midfield was a great move, another who had a career best season. How dire it would’ve been without her there. And she’s probably now a lock for our midfield in future. Priest became an inspirational captain and had her best season too!

We snagged a few wins last year, but trust me, our style wasn’t better. Dal had them playing smarter footy by the end. I’m not a fan of coaches getting too involved in recruiting, but I’d back Dal’s input here, I’m that confident he knows what we need. Many teams went further ahead of us over the off-season, but I think we’ll close some of the gap in the coming months with a first full off-season with Dal. Maybe some of our players will play for the Southern Saints too, Dale Robinson has them playing some nice football. We probably need to sure up defence with a player or two, and the midfield too if Smith and Patrikios don’t return in time for August. I’m hoping the players don’t switch off too much and hit the track hard whenever they can. They’ve really been marvels though. The story Dal told about the players flying back to Melbourne at midnight, and then some had to get up for work at 5am, and then play again four days later… they just aren’t paid enough for this. How much they love the game and want to learn, it’s just so admirable and infectious.

FWIW my own votes for this season, Lucas-Rodd stormed home. Probably as our performances improved in the back end of the season and our defence wasn't pummelled as much, Priest and Jakobsson didn't need to have as much impact:

29 Lucas-Rodd
23 Priest
22 Jakobsson
16 Phillips
13 White

Cheers sunny. Yeah, we were behind the eight-ball from the start. The previous coach departed. A couple of handy players departed. A brand new coach and gameplan enters. Then a few weeks before the first bounce we lose our two best mids (one our best player and dual B&F) for the season. Dal had to adapt quickly and started training Lucas-Rodd as a midfielder.

After round one I said that I think we’ll improve as the season progresses. Not such a wild prediction as everyone tipped us for the spoon haha. But we have such a keen and resilient group. And many of us know Dal Santo’s traits, he’ll get the most out of them. We have 15 players under 23, and nine over 29. It’s quite a polarising group age wise, hardly any in the usual “prime years”. In fact there’s only Lucas-Rodd and Van Dyk in their prime playing regularly. But I think the women’s game probably have different prime years, they haven’t played as long and had their bodies knocked around, plus the shorter seasons add to longevity in the game.

There were a few good signs by about round four. It was around our seventh match that things started to click, players were linking up, work around packs improved. It helped playing easier teams too, sometimes you need to play a few bunnies to unlock what you’re capable of. Today we saw a footballing state team (SA) defeat a team with players from a state shared by eight other team (soon to be 10), the result was nothing to be ashamed of and I think we made them earn it.

Yeah, Dal is very invested. I feel a bit bad for him with all the sh*t he’s copped, he really entered the job with spirit and good intentions but people wanted to put him down from the start. I’ve been calling on him to be our line coach for years, he’s clearly capable. Just people with a chip on their shoulder want to shake their fist at something. But it’s nice to see some of the morons go quiet about him on social media recently. I haven’t heard a bad word about him from anyone who actually counts. He wasn’t afraid to shuffle players around to find what works, some coaches are too stubborn to change.

The growth has been noticeable. I don’t get much wrong but happy to acknowledge it when I do. When I saw Jakobsson last season I thought she looked lost and might not make it (almost like Ott this season). Well, this season she’s doubled her output, hitting targets, hard at it, spoiling contests and on the verge of All-Australian! It’s the best season of her career. How much was due to Dal, Jakobsson, or to the defence getting bombarded I don’t know. Choosing Lucas-Rodd to switch to the midfield was a great move, another who had a career best season. How dire it would’ve been without her there. And she’s probably now a lock for our midfield in future. Priest became an inspirational captain and had her best season too!

We snagged a few wins last year, but trust me, our style wasn’t better. Dal had them playing smarter footy by the end. I’m not a fan of coaches getting too involved in recruiting, but I’d back Dal’s input here, I’m that confident he knows what we need. Many teams went further ahead of us over the off-season, but I think we’ll close some of the gap in the coming months with a first full off-season with Dal. Maybe some of our players will play for the Southern Saints too, Dale Robinson has them playing some nice football. We probably need to sure up defence with a player or two, and the midfield too if Smith and Patrikios don’t return in time for August. I’m hoping the players don’t switch off too much and hit the track hard whenever they can. They’ve really been marvels though. The story Dal told about the players flying back to Melbourne at midnight, and then some had to get up for work at 5am, and then play again four days later… they just aren’t paid enough for this. How much they love the game and want to learn, it’s just so admirable and infectious.

FWIW my own votes for this season, Lucas-Rodd stormed home. Probably as our performances improved in the back end of the season and our defence wasn't pummelled as much, Priest and Jakobsson didn't need to have as much impact:

29 Lucas-Rodd
23 Priest
22 Jakobsson
16 Phillips
13 White
Many many thanks for that synopsis.
And I think that will be true for everyone who reads it.

Back