Women's Footy AFLW Round 2 2020 - West Coast v Fremantle - Optus Stadium. Saturday 15 Feb 2019, 4:10pm AWST

ImperialPurple

Matthew Pavlich Medallist
May 26, 2003
South Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC, Aussie Women's Cricket, HNK
No but we’d long been preparing for the AFLW putting a lot of time into it, all we needed was the licence. Freo swooped in, snapped up the licence and all the good players that came with it.

My original comment was in response to how hard it would’ve been to build a list. As with the rest of the powerful teams in the women’s.. it’s not that hard to literally grab all the best ones when there’s 8 teams in the league. Going on like the list was built over 5 years in a very advanced setup. Compensating for the failed belief in the men’s “rebuilds” over all those years perhaps?

Lol, lol, and lol some more. 7 of the marquee players for other 7 clubs clubs were from WA, along with 6 priority signings. If anyone 'grabbed all the best players', it was everyone outside of WA - examples include Emma Swanson and Renee Forth (GWS), Emma King (Collingwood), Sabrina Frederick (Brisbane), Chelsea Randall (Adelaide), so if anyone was grabbing all the best talent, it wasn't Freo.

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Good game to be at. Disappointed WC couldn't attract the big numbers to break the record. Was plenty of Freo supporters there. The WC peeps nearest me left at half time :) ha ha. I joked to a friend of mine they would probably leave at HT, wasn't expecting it. Hats off to the WC peeps that stayed for the post game bit.

I've yet to watch the replay but browsing through the WC board has been entertaining. My favourite so far is this gem:

I sense that won’t take long to change. I spoke to the mother of one of the girls who jumped ship and she said she couldn’t believe the difference in professionalism between the two clubs, Freo were like a suburban footy club and the Eagles felt like an elite sporting organisation. That won’t take long to translate onto the field.

Hilarious. Just blatant lying but good effort to deflect :) I feel sorry for Jatz and Biggie who have to deal with these morons posting crap like this. It was a smashing but it was still a step for WA women's football. The juniors will still admire both the Freo and WC girls regardless, and that is the most important thing of all.

Daddoo

Master Chef
Oct 31, 2015
Chicago
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers Milwaukee Brewers
I'm gonna break from the mud slinging for a bit.

Positives
+ Intensity. Intensity. Intensity. Bowers with 18 tackles but every woman in white played with their hair on fire. They gave no space to the opposition. Really fun to watch.
+ Congrats to Gabi for the first ever Derby goal.
+ Roxy Roux. Seriously gonna be a great player for us. Great in the air. That mark she took near the goal square to set up her first goal was fantastic. And how fun is it to yell, "Roooooxxxxxxy Rouuuuuuuuux!"? There was some talk/conjecture about whether or not she wanted to play with WC or Freo. I think her celebration after she scored her first goal should put an end to that nonsense.
+ Skils and composure. Their decision making was spot on most of the day. Deciding when to just play on and when to hold it up and slow the game down allowed Freo to control the tempo and find the best option. Their chipping/centering to the better goal kicking option inside 50 was really nice.
+ 35,000+ in attendance. Would love to have broken the record, but you can't complain with those numbers.

Negatives
- Basil. Really hard to listen to for 4 quarters.
- Strom's ruck work. She got boxed out all day by the eagles ruckman (or is it ruckwoman?). Lost the hit outs 20-38. It almost looked like Freo were willing to concede the tap and smash them on ground around the stoppages.
- Did I mention Basil?

Great team win. Freo clearly looks the more well developed and mature side atm, which is to be expected. Won't always be like this. I would love to hear how the atmosphere was in the stadium from people who where there. What was the % of Freo to WC fans?

Ok, you can all go back to the insults and mud slinging...sorry for interrupting. And, remember, don't feed the trolls. ;)

Last edited:

apuchar

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 21, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Football Club

Positives
+ Intensity. Intensity. Intensity. Bowers with 18 tackles but every woman in white played with their hair on fire. They gave no space to the opposition. Really fun to watch.
+ Roxy Roux. Seriously gonna be a great player for us. Great in the air. That mark she took near the goal square to set up her first goal was fantastic. And how fun is it to yell, "Roooooxxxxxxy Rouuuuuuuuux!"?
+ Skils and composure. Their decision making was spot on most of the day. Deciding when to just play on and when to hold it up and slow the game down allowed Freo to control the tempo and find the best option. Their chipping/centering to the better goal kicking option inside 50 was really nice.
+ 35,000+ in attendance. Would love to have broken the record, but you can't complain with those numbers.

Negatives
- Strom's ruck work. She got boxed out all day by the eagles ruckman (or is it ruckwoman?). Lost the hit outs 20-38. It almost looked like Freo were willing to concede the tap and smash them on ground around the stoppages.
- Did I mention Basil?

Great team win. Freo clearly looks the more well developed and mature side atm, which is to be expected. Won't always be like this. I would love to hear how the atmosphere was in the stadium from people who where there. What was the % of Freo to WC fans?

Ok, you can all go back to the insults and mud slinging...sorry for interrupting. And, remember, don't feed the trolls. ;)
Well said.
Basil was tedious.
Was also annoyed at the West who also only mentioned what the crowd wasn't and not what it was.... over 35,000.

Granny Val

Club Legend
Feb 23, 2013
Wheatbelt/Rockingham
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Scorchers
Thank you for the great analysis. Game was amazing!

Positives
+ Roxy Roux. Seriously gonna be a great player for us. Great in the air. That mark she took near the goal square to set up her first goal was fantastic. And how fun is it to yell, "Roooooxxxxxxy Rouuuuuuuuux!"? There was some talk/conjecture about whether or not she wanted to play with WC or Freo. I think her celebration after she scored her first goal should put an end to that nonsense.

Negatives
- Did I mention Basil?

The commentary was woeful today, regularly calling players the wrong name, not to mention Basil referring to Swanson 3 times as the first Eagles goal kicker last week (she wasn’t)
How much did Kellie Gibson humiliate herself today. Her gobbing off at every opportunity, playing cheap shots after the ball had gone and the way she kept flopping around like a fish for frees was pure embarrassment.
I enjoyed the Antonio’s responses, looked like they were referring to her being on her 3rd club in 4 seasons.

Sep 20, 2008
Geelong
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Sacramento Kings
By the way, their are reports that West Coast has given no respect to their women’s team at this moment.

The perfect example of this was the new mens captain Shuey doing that half time interview in casual clothes, couldn't look less interested if he tried.

Bigger

Club Legend
Nov 9, 2001
East Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
need to take a good look at themselves
How much did Kellie Gibson humiliate herself today. Her gobbing off at every opportunity, playing cheap shots after the ball had gone and the way she kept flopping around like a fish for frees was pure embarrassment.
I don’t think I have ever actually seen a lippier loser. Wow. Was she unaware of what was happening?

showemhowtorock

Cancelled
Jun 18, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
I don’t think I have ever actually seen a lippier loser. Wow. Was she unaware of what was happening?
I almost felt bad for her at 1/4 time when she was yelling to the point that the eagles girls had to grab her jumper and pull her back while the docker girls laughed at her because it was such a bad look, but then she played that cheap shot on Cuthbertson before staging for a 50 when Sabs bumped her and it all went away haha

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
How good a pick up is Cuthbertson? She was solid last week and even better yesterday. Great recruiting Freo! Going to be hard for all our KPDs on the sideline to crack into the team over the coming weeks.

Bianca Webb is going to be a gun. How she lasted to pick #85 confuses me? - WC should have been all over her. Loved her post game interview talking about the culture and being part of a 'family'. #letsgetloud

Roxy Roux and the jumper pull arguably the highlight of the day. I would come to games just to watch her.

Katie-Jayne Grieve and Jasmin Stewart - wow! Some serious improvement from last year. Questioning whether they were even in the best team a few weeks back and now they are starting inside mids.

O'Sullivan probably deserved best on imo. Her start to the game was as good as any I've seen in AFLW. But Bowers really is incredible and also worthy. That protestor should feel very lucky she didn't lay one of her usual tackles - would have required a stretcher.

Most promising thing is a lot of our players haven't hit their straps yet. Houghton is going to tear a game apart when she starts clunking them more. Ebony Antonio was involved a fair bit but she is capable of far more - almost feels like she is a bit lost not having to be the game winner. Would not be surprised to see Sharp follow Duffy in Rd 1 and O'Sullivan in Rd 2 next week.

Sounds like Hayley Miller will be fine. Like that we didn't risk her returning to the ground because we were already well ahead.

The West just needed one more AFL article to push the derby match report completely off the headlines section. 3 non-AFLW articles about WC post derby wasn't enough you fools, you needed 4! Surely they could have conjured up a Nic Nat article?!?

Last edited:

Vintage

Club Legend
Mar 5, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I thinkyou'll find it's a pretty decent crowd
Sorry, didn’t mean to imply that it wouldn’t be, was just trying to have a bit of fun.

i was at the game (with daughter plus 2 of her friends), brilliant game - for us. What I really liked though was that it was such a diverse crowd, young, old, groups without kids etc - not just the normal group that gets along to the other games down at Freo oval. It was a really positive sign about the health of AFLW.

i really wish they’d start charging for games though, even if it’s less than $10. Also we got here late and it took us 15 minutes to find a seat - ridiculous to close off so many sections of the stadium, especially when there’s no allocated seating.

estibador

purple haze
Mar 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Cowboys, Packers, Scorchers

No wonder she jumped ship, they're the perfect match for her.

Apr 14, 2018
Just up the street
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC
Duff analysis.

Attachments

• CF148645-D209-4733-9CCB-3767F92DDED8.png
    CF148645-D209-4733-9CCB-3767F92DDED8.png
    857.6 KB · Views: 737

ImperialPurple

May 26, 2003
South Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Bianca Webb is going to be a gun. How she lasted to pick #85 confuses me? - WC should have been all over her. Loved her post game interview talking about the culture and being part of a 'family'. #letsgetloud

Equates to pick 9 in the WA draft, which is amusingly, the pick the eagles traded to Freo for Cassie Davidson (who?).

ImperialPurple

May 26, 2003
South Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Unfortunately for Gibson, she may get rubbed out for a week or so.
Why unfortunately? Even when she played for us she used to bang on at every opportunity about getting around in her eagles jumper to play footy with the boys, and wearing her eagles gear everywhere. It was clear, that despite wearing purple, she was always a bluenyella.

She was probably going for the old boring and tired sledge ‘how many premierships?’

Getting rubbed out for about 8 weeks would seem about right... 😉😆

Jan 14, 2008
AFL Club
Fremantle
Duffy needs to be reprimanded by the club for her bump yesterday, completely unnecessary after the West Coast player had taken the mark. I hope she gets suspended for that or the club gives her a kick up the arse.

That bump wouldn't have knocked my grannie over, Gibson should get a reprimand for poor acting.

Back