Autopsy AFLW Round 2, 2022: Collingwood v St.Kilda

Who Wins?

• Magpies

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • Saints

Votes: 3 33.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

If patrikios ends up at bombers, you can guarantee there will be some shares and investment properties involved.
I honestly don’t see how the AFL could let us lose Patrikios unless she refuses to get jabbed and the vaccine rules stay in place.

How can a bottom 2 team for its 1st 3 years in existence lose their best player who was their highest draft pick, 2 time BnF, AFLPA best first year player after 3 years unless we got significantly compensated.

Especially if we couldn’t lure Marinoff with a massive offer.
It would be a terrible look.

You ain’t winning many games, or getting too many supporters interested kicking 2 goals a game.

Part of it is the same thing as previous years, with the men too, we kick wide. Whether it's coached or the opposition flooding the corridoor and pushing us wide? Some teams are doing it really well staying inside the opposition and pushing them wide. Even worse in the womens game with the lasso rule, instant turnover. And when we rarely hit the middle, we rarely mark it and don't have the crumbers there. How easily and cleanly did the Pies defence clean up and exit from the corridoor, too easy. If it isn't clean, they scrap it out wider which if perfectly fine in defence, then come back to the corridoor going forward.

Our midfield always under pressure and getting pushed wide, they can't get a clean kick to the top of the goalsquare, it usually goes wide again. So often I saw our players give the ball off and then give up, no follow up option or shepherd, just allows the opposition to tail our ballcarrier relentlessly. So much work to do, our squad isn't improving faster than the opposition unfortunately.

Meanwhile, Prespakis is running around at Geelong 🤮

She seems a bit tentative at times, makes me wonder if she is carrying something sore.
Would help if our 2 best mids were there to send it i50

Any opinion on why Richmond are able to lure so many big names and we aren’t?
Is it cash, or do they come for the song?

Any opinion on why Richmond are able to lure so many big names and we aren’t?
Is it cash, or do they come for the song?

Ha ha, yeah probably the song 1st, cash 2nd

other than Conti & Brennan, can't really say we recruited any other big names (Frederick been & gone, was/is useless)
D'Arcy, Shevlin, Hosking twins are good players, but i wouldn't call them big names

from the looks, you guys are going mostly young/draft players, which is fair enough, but we found this wouldn't cut it against top 6 sides, not in the near future anyway

we recruited 5 decent mature players (other clubs) to fill list needs, all best 21 for us

you guys not so many decent mature players recruited (other clubs), Van Dyk,, Jakobsson look like good players
i'm not sold on Woodward
others you've signed as FA/undrafted, Meyer i haven't seen, Cutting, Matin & Ott look okayish

but are they all best 21?
why get rid of Kelly? when Watt is 34yo, doesn't make much sense

Would help if our 2 best mids were there to send it i50

yes this is the worst part, losing Georgia Patrikios & Tyanna Smith has cut your throats, literally ****ed your whole season
no 2 ways about it these 2 are the ones you can't replace (like if we lost Conti & Brennan)
it's just the worst luck ever

unfortunately finishing low this year isn't going to help at all come draft time (Hawks & Bombers have the 1st 4 picks)

watching saints since we both came in to the comp, wish you guys all the best for remainder of the season :)

Last edited:

Something like this next week. Lumbering players out, Shierlaw and Shannon rotating keys there. Any of or rotating Dillon, Phillips, Guttridge to tag their best (probably Paxman atm), I'd use a tagger every week really to negate the opposition best (they have a massive impact in the womens game). Could even give Meyer a run as she hasn't had a crack yet.

All of them capable. Very young but time to put it together and get them clicking. Not many matches in this league, gotta play them immediately.

FShierlawMatin
HFMcCarthyRichardsSaulitis
CMcDonaldXenosGuttridge
HBJakobssonFriendLucas-Rodd
BBurke.LPriest
RCuttingWhiteVesely
IShannonBurke.APhillips
DillionVan Dyke

You ain’t winning many games, or getting too many supporters interested kicking 2 goals a game.
Yeah i know people will come at me but i can watch any women's sport bar AFL , i know its a new comp but the skill level is no better than an under 12 boys game , there seems to be very little or no game plan and half the time its just a scrum.
I think someone mentioned that it has expanded too quickly hence the lack of skilled players, I know it will get better but ATM I'm sorry but i just cant watch it

Yeah i know people will come at me but i can watch any women's sport bar AFL , i know its a new comp but the skill level is no better than an under 12 boys game , there seems to be very little or no game plan and half the time its just a scrum.
I think someone mentioned that it has expanded too quickly hence the lack of skilled players, I know it will get better but ATM I'm sorry but i just cant watch it

I was a bit disinterested at first but was ready to jump in this year.....only to watch one game and totally lose interest again. I'm not sure I can commit time to another uncompetitive side.

Like any sport, it's not going to satisfy everyone, that's life. I'd watch any competition, that's just me. I'm here from the start and don't mind sitting through the down times.

Give Dal 3-4 years to make this his squad, if he can't get it done then we're in trouble haha. We can't keep drafting only two players a year though, that ain't gonna get it done. We won't even catch up to the opposition let alone go past them.

Why the hell didn't we draft Bohanna?? Who was in charge of our drafting this year??
Probably thought we had a match winner in Grieser who has been slightly disappointing.
Bohanna looks the goods & strong two pronged attack wouldn’t go astray.

Probably thought we had a match winner in Grieser who has been slightly disappointing.
Bohanna looks the goods & strong two pronged attack wouldn’t go astray.

Hopefully not the case, but you're probably correct! Bohanna was right under our noses, big contested marker, long accurate kick, footy smarts, a natural footballer.... and we backed a project player over her. Sounds about right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We should've got [a priority pick] last season. The AFL handed the Cats one in the top 5 I think. We got one in the 20s, useless, not even sure we used it
Geelong got two first round priority picks - picks 7 (Friswell) and 9 (Featherston). St Kilda got Pick 25, which got packaged up with pick 22 for pick 12. Dogs took Amanda Ling with 22 and Aurora Smith with 25; Saints took Ash Richards with 12.

Just keep in mind, though, that this is a much better draft to get priority picks in, even if the first four Victorian picks go to Essendon and Hawthorn. I'm holding out hope that St Kilda winds up With Clarke or Ham plus another one or two picks from this group. Even if the picks are Victorian pick 5 or later, it's still going to be better than what the Cats did with their first round picks.

Geelong got two first round priority picks - picks 7 (Friswell) and 9 (Featherston). St Kilda got Pick 25, which got packaged up with pick 22 for pick 12. Dogs took Amanda Ling with 22 and Aurora Smith with 25; Saints took Ash Richards with 12.

Just keep in mind, though, that this is a much better draft to get priority picks in, even if the first four Victorian picks go to Essendon and Hawthorn. I'm holding out hope that St Kilda winds up With Clarke or Ham plus another one or two picks from this group. Even if the picks are Victorian pick 5 or later, it's still going to be better than what the Cats did with their first round picks.
I hope richards turns out a player. If she can fill the role of Tyanna Smith while she's out it'll be good. Ling looked like the brute inside mid we've been needing to release Patrikios and Smith to the outside though

i think it's not so much Geelong got two first round priority picks, or picking Prespakis, which was always going to happen
it was Rowbottom going interstate, which would have provided Saints with some cover for Patrikios & Smith not playing

Friend is a top player but not at Rowbottom's level
Saints realistically took 3 hits before the season started

i think it's not so much Geelong got two first round priority picks, or picking Prespakis, which was always going to happen
it was Rowbottom going interstate, which would have provided Saints with some cover for Patrikios & Smith not playing

Also lost whitford to Gold Coast.
One of our best last year.
She was in the 22u22 team.

Missing out on Rowbottom is huge, but, irrespective of that, I think it's a valid complaint that the Saints have had the second to least amount of draft assistance among expansion teams (after North Melbourne, for obvious reasons). If St Kilda finish with less than two wins, part of that is going to be on a failure to recruit genuine stars in expansion, part of that is going to be bad luck, but a big part of that is going to be on the AFL.

In retrospect, putting all the Tigers picks before the Saints equivalent pick doesn't look great. There may have been a bit too much weight on the number of players the Saints managed to get versus the quality of the players the Tigers managed to get. I also think the league may have put too much weight on the upset wins St Kilda managed against the Dees in 2020 and the Dogs in 2021.

At this stage, I'm expecting at least one St Kilda priority pick at the 2022 draft - it's just a matter of is how many and where?

Missing out on Rowbottom is huge, but, irrespective of that, I think it's a valid complaint that the Saints have had the second to least amount of draft assistance among expansion teams (after North Melbourne, for obvious reasons). If St Kilda finish with less than two wins, part of that is going to be on a failure to recruit genuine stars in expansion, part of that is going to be bad luck, but a big part of that is going to be on the AFL.

In retrospect, putting all the Tigers picks before the Saints equivalent pick doesn't look great. There may have been a bit too much weight on the number of players the Saints managed to get versus the quality of the players the Tigers managed to get. I also think the league may have put too much weight on the upset wins St Kilda managed against the Dees in 2020 and the Dogs in 2021.

At this stage, I'm expecting at least one St Kilda priority pick at the 2022 draft - it's just a matter of is how many and where?
We’ll pull a win out of our arse to jump someone on the ladder then they’ll give us a third round priority pick and call it a day

Back