Preview AFLW Round 2 at some time that I will confirm after I've looked it up.

Remove this Banner Ad

TBH I thought applying any fisting related hashtags would be in poor taste for this competition.

In the spirit of all Melbourne R1 performances I reckon we're no good and will finish bottom two.
I like it. You're applying a recent horrible perspective to this loss, which means you are taking the AFLW seriously. You have to play real football to be fisted forever.

#realmfc

I like it. You're applying a recent horrible perspective to this loss, which means you are taking the AFLW seriously. You have to play real football to be fisted forever.

#realmfc

I was calling the umpire a campaigner five minutes in, definitely taking it seriously.

I was calling the umpire a campaigner five minutes in, definitely taking it seriously.
I tried to work through a few slogans but when you bring together, albeit even playfully, women plus the fisted forever concept it was difficult to see where it isn't actionable so I understand the dilemma.

I'm maintaining a moody silence this week, while remaining artificially upbeat online and elsewhere.

Bad s**t happens next week though - I'm not answerable to the consequences.

Edit: I forgot. Your a father of daughters these days (or one known of and immortalised as an important cameo in a footy book - of which she is likely proud) so of course you're taking it seriously

Edit: I forgot. Your a father of daughters these days (or one known of and immortalised as an important cameo in a footy book - of which she is likely proud) so of course you're taking it seriously

Tried to get her to watch... couldn't give a rats! Had to watch the whole second quarter on delay due to a 15 minute episode trying to keep her from running outside in a storm. It's all bloody action in this household let me tell you.

Thought we were a bit stiff with a few umpiring decisions and the timing of the lightning. If we were half a kick up at 3/4 time rather than the other way round we could have clogged it up against the wind and possibly held on. Chasing the game in the last quarter was always going to be a tough ask.

It wasn't an easy day for it, but the forward line looks to be the problematic area for us -- a lack of poise and/or skill relative to the players we've got in the other areas of the ground, plus the defensive pressure by the forwards wasn't great (reminiscent of another Melbourne side...). Not sure how much the coaches can fix in the eight weeks they've got though, might just be a personnel thing to look at for next year.

The girls probably fiddled with the ball a bit too much by hand when they were on top considering the standard Casey conditions. More often that not I thought we were better served just getting it on the boot and getting better field position rather than making consecutive handballs backwards or sideways. Daisy Pearce stood out in that regard to me, she always seemed to be looking to get the ball moving forwards even if it didn't always come off.

Obviously wasn't the result we desired but was a competitive game. Thought we controlled play more than them but ultimately they had more polish to finish off than we did and made us pay. Feel pretty ripped off that the AFL not only didn't have Dees vs Dogs as the opener to the season but also that we got to play in the worst weather. ;) Despite getting drowned, blown around and dodging lightning, it was a good day.

Thought we were a bit stiff with a few umpiring decisions and the timing of the lightning. If we were half a kick up at 3/4 time rather than the other way round we could have clogged it up against the wind and possibly held on. Chasing the game in the last quarter was always going to be a tough ask.

It wasn't an easy day for it, but the forward line looks to be the problematic area for us -- a lack of poise and/or skill relative to the players we've got in the other areas of the ground, plus the defensive pressure by the forwards wasn't great (reminiscent of another Melbourne side...). Not sure how much the coaches can fix in the eight weeks they've got though, might just be a personnel thing to look at for next year.

The girls probably fiddled with the ball a bit too much by hand when they were on top considering the standard Casey conditions. More often that not I thought we were better served just getting it on the boot and getting better field position rather than making consecutive handballs backwards or sideways. Daisy Pearce stood out in that regard to me, she always seemed to be looking to get the ball moving forwards even if it didn't always come off.

Good summary.
One point to add though is just how bad the delivery in to our forwards was when the game was there to be won before the rain.
1.4 to 4.1 tells the story.

Still, great to see the first game and moreso to see the support they got out in Casey.

Spot on. Having watched a fair bit of women's footy, I reckon that should be general advice to pretty much every team but especially in that weather. Lets face it, the ball spends most of its time on the ground in these games, so make sure its on the ground in your forward half. Daisy does it really well but probably tried to be a bit too cute at times. It's cos she is about 50 times better than most of her team mates though.

That all being said, perhaps the coaches are trying to teach them how to play properly. This probably holds them in good stead long term, once they can hit handball targets like 9 out of 10 times, and rely on their kicking (and marking) skills properly. But if you want to win more games now, just get it going forward.

Spot on. Having watched a fair bit of women's footy, I reckon that should be general advice to pretty much every team but especially in that weather. Lets face it, the ball spends most of its time on the ground in these games, so make sure its on the ground in your forward half. Daisy does it really well but probably tried to be a bit too cute at times. It's cos she is about 50 times better than most of her team mates though.

That all being said, perhaps the coaches are trying to teach them how to play properly. This probably holds them in good stead long term, once they can hit handball targets like 9 out of 10 times, and rely on their kicking (and marking) skills properly. But if you want to win more games now, just get it going forward.
and don't try and bounce the ball in the wet . i will wait to watch them in dry conditions before i judge but i agree with what you are saying. I think as the ability narrows between the top and bottom of each list the standard will get better .FWIW i think 50 m is too harsh and should be 25 m for this league .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

and don't try and bounce the ball in the wet . i will wait to watch them in dry conditions before i judge but i agree with what you are saying. I think as the ability narrows between the top and bottom of each list the standard will get better .FWIW i think 50 m is too harsh and should be 25 m for this league .
Yep. Agree with all of that. 50m is WAY too big a penalty considering no one can even kick that far in the league pretty much.

This will be unpopular but I actually think the field is too big. I've thought this ever since i've been watching them.It won't happen for reasons but if anything i think they should bring the rope in at one of the ends, Big Bash style to squash the ground about 30m (a kick). I also think using 16 players on the ground does them a disservice. It means a LOT more ball on the ground and under 7s-style chasing the bouncing ball around. If anything, given how many kicks it takes to go from one end to the other in the women's game, I think they should have more than 18 players each on the field, if we are going to bastardise the game anyway (by having 16 players). People often counter this argument by saying you'd get too much congestion. That would be true in the men's game, sure, because the men are much more fit and more importantly able to travel much faster for a much longer time. It will improve as time goes by in the women's game, but i don't think they are fit enough and fast enough for congestion to be that much of an issue at this point. The lack of skills, like handballing, bouncing etc contribute more to this.

Anyway, still enjoyable, just a few observations. Interested to see in the coming years whether they start charging people to attend, and how they will set it up. Like whether it will be in competition with the men, or sorta curtain raisers or whatever.

Yep. Agree with all of that. 50m is WAY too big a penalty considering no one can even kick that far in the league pretty much.

This will be unpopular but I actually think the field is too big. I've thought this ever since i've been watching them.It won't happen for reasons but if anything i think they should bring the rope in at one of the ends, Big Bash style to squash the ground about 30m (a kick). I also think using 16 players on the ground does them a disservice. It means a LOT more ball on the ground and under 7s-style chasing the bouncing ball around. If anything, given how many kicks it takes to go from one end to the other in the women's game, I think they should have more than 18 players each on the field, if we are going to bastardise the game anyway (by having 16 players). People often counter this argument by saying you'd get too much congestion. That would be true in the men's game, sure, because the men are much more fit and more importantly able to travel much faster for a much longer time. It will improve as time goes by in the women's game, but i don't think they are fit enough and fast enough for congestion to be that much of an issue at this point. The lack of skills, like handballing, bouncing etc contribute more to this.

Anyway, still enjoyable, just a few observations. Interested to see in the coming years whether they start charging people to attend, and how they will set it up. Like whether it will be in competition with the men, or sorta curtain raisers or whatever.
I made the same suggestion while discussing it with a mate earlier this week actually. My thought was to bring the goals in 15m at each end, giving them a 35m line. With the exception of Tayla Harris with a slight breeze at her back, no one can kick 50m.

I still think you'd see the benefits (if there are any) of playing with 16, as the wings will stay the same size (ignoring the fact that they're different sizes from ground to ground)

Is this the rolling AFLW thread? Team's out for this week.

MELBOURNE
B: M.Downie 2, M.Clifford, 44 K.Smith 13
HB: D.Pearce 6, L.Duryea 11, S.Scott 12
C: H.Cordner 21
HF: K.Paxman 4, D.Berry 7, L.Mithen 14
F: S.Lampard 8, J.Anderson 28, C.Phillips 35
FOLL: L.Pearce 15, M.Hickey 18, E.O'Dea 5
INT: E.Humphries 3, A.Newman 16, S.Jolly 10, J.Grierson 19, M.Boyd 25, A.Mifsud 9
Emergencies: A.Kemp 36, B.Patterson 24

IN: S.Jolly
OUT: R.Cranston (suspended)

COLLINGWOOD
B: T.Morgan 26, S.Livingstone 12, M.Hutchins 25
HB: S.Chiocci 17, N.Stevens 21, C.McIntosh 20
C: A.Barden 38
HF: J.Cameron 27, J.Garner 43, A.Eva 2
F: S.D'Arcy 4, M.Hope 23, E.Grant 5
FOLL: E.King 60, B.Bonnici 8, B.White 33
INT: C.Bernardi 6, L.Wotton 19, P.Cula-Reid 3, M.Kuys 9, S.Casey 22, C.Edwards 1
Emergencies: L.Tesoriero 7, R.Schleicher 18

IN: M.Kuys, P.Cula-Reid, L.Wotton
OUT: L.Tesoriero, R.Schleicher, H.Roden

Obviously still getting a feel for the players and their ideal positions. Looking forward to a game in (hopefully) dry weather. Particularly going to keep an eye on Berry, Mithen and Smith who are all young, highly rated and could be the backbone of the club for the next 10+ years.

Is this the rolling AFLW thread? Team's out for this week.

MELBOURNE
B:
M.Downie 2, M.Clifford, 44 K.Smith 13
HB: D.Pearce 6, L.Duryea 11, S.Scott 12
C: H.Cordner 21
HF: K.Paxman 4, D.Berry 7, L.Mithen 14
F: S.Lampard 8, J.Anderson 28, C.Phillips 35
FOLL: L.Pearce 15, M.Hickey 18, E.O'Dea 5
INT: E.Humphries 3, A.Newman 16, S.Jolly 10, J.Grierson 19, M.Boyd 25, A.Mifsud 9
Emergencies: A.Kemp 36, B.Patterson 24

IN: S.Jolly
OUT: R.Cranston (suspended)

COLLINGWOOD
B:
T.Morgan 26, S.Livingstone 12, M.Hutchins 25
HB: S.Chiocci 17, N.Stevens 21, C.McIntosh 20
C: A.Barden 38
HF: J.Cameron 27, J.Garner 43, A.Eva 2
F: S.D'Arcy 4, M.Hope 23, E.Grant 5
FOLL: E.King 60, B.Bonnici 8, B.White 33
INT: C.Bernardi 6, L.Wotton 19, P.Cula-Reid 3, M.Kuys 9, S.Casey 22, C.Edwards 1
Emergencies: L.Tesoriero 7, R.Schleicher 18

IN: M.Kuys, P.Cula-Reid, L.Wotton
OUT: L.Tesoriero, R.Schleicher, H.Roden
I don't really know whether this is the rolling AFLW thread. It sort of started as a game day thread but I forgot to lock it and make an autopsy thread.

Let's go nuts and make it a rolling AFLW thread. I'll change the header and we can regard it as a preview. My prediction is that we win this one.

I don't really know whether this is the rolling AFLW thread. It sort of started as a game day thread but I forgot to lock it and make an autopsy thread.

Let's go nuts and make it a rolling AFLW thread. I'll change the header and we can regard it as a preview. My prediction is that we win this one.

You've really got the hang of this mod thing, don't you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You've really got the hang of this mod thing, don't you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
its a bit of a work in progress. THIS weekend I will do a proper game day thread then close it and do an autopsy thread and everything will be perfect.

Hey Proper Gander ... in your almost Lawyer experience ... should I be making a call to Adelaide WFC on Monday morning regarding tonights jumper design? ...

I did this a few months ago for laughs. It needs some tinkering, but haven't had the time.

6ioFLbq.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back