Game Day AFLW Round 2- Fremantle vs Collingwood- Optus Stadium, 7.10 AEDT

Remove this Banner Ad

We definitely need Hope in the team. Like you say, even if she isn't in great form she at least takes a good defender. I think she has been unfairly blamed for problems she has no way of solving.

Being dropped in round 2 of a 7 round season for a roadtrip with the girls over the Nullarbor to open the new Perth Stadium is a wakeup call and a kick up the backside. Hopefully she responds well.

Okay, here are some of my thoughts...

Think that our coach hasn't really learned that much from last year as we seem to lose structure the moment there is pressure.
  • King in the fwd line only worked for a short time, we were killed in clearances after that, why not swith over?
  • Our skills are poor, if we can't can't kick the ball long, we should be trying to run the ball, poor positioning.
  • So many times we were out numbered at the drop of the ball both in our fwd line and back.
  • Liked Bernardi and of course the Jet Molloy
  • Is Chiocci fit?
  • Still not sure about Hope being dropped as she would have taken a good defender to mind her and not sure about reports re attitude to training. Someone who has worked so hard to drop so much weight, doesn't come accross as poor attitude.

How the Season has Started I think Sikeman should get Sacked.

I did not like our Number 1 Ruck play FF and I felt she was too slow and easily Rebounded On.

Skills being Called Poor is being Nice.

What a snooze fest, I turned it off after the first quater, bring on AFL- X

I nearly Turned it off at 3 Qtr Time but I stuck with it until Final Siren.

Agree. Thank Christ the Men are back next week

How the Season has Started I think Sikeman should get Sacked.

I did not like our Number 1 Ruck play FF and I felt she was too slow and easily Rebounded On.

Skills being Called Poor is being Nice.

AFLW teams only have 16 players on the field at any time.

Saturday night we were missing ...

D'Arcy, Brazill, Hutchins, Guttridge, Hope

... who when fit and available would be amongst our best 16 players. Our coach was responsible for only one of those missing (Hope), and that could yet prove to be a masterstroke.

In the next few weeks when those players become available and are on the field we could very well end up being a much better team.

... who when fit and available would be amongst our best 16 players. Our coach was responsible for only one of those missing (Hope), and that could yet prove to be a masterstroke.

In the next few weeks when those players become available and are on the field we could very well end up being a much better team.

Could and Will are 2 Different Things.

Hopefully it will. We are not Sure how Brazill and Guttridge will effect the team as not played before. D'Arcy and Hutchins should make a Difference but Hope was Dropped

I nearly Turned it off at 3 Qtr Time but I stuck with it until Final Siren.

Agree. Thank Christ the Men are back next week
Nothing to say the men will do much better. We are hoping but time will tell.

I must admit when they kicked to the opposition, it reminded me of a few games in the AFL.

I must admit when they kicked to the opposition, it reminded me of a few games in the AFL.

Too true. There seems to be an eerie similarity between the girls and the boys teams, including the free kick count.

Why are there only 16 players in a team?
Surely this makes playing the game harder for the women.
And why don’t they play with a slightly smaller ball so that they can mark it more easily, and kick it further?
Women’s hands are smaller than men’s.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely this makes playing the game harder for the women.
And why don’t they play with a slightly smaller ball so that they can mark it more easily, and kick it further?
Women’s hands are smaller than men’s.
I thought they did have a smaller ball.

I agree on 16 a side just makes it harder, I think the theory was less players less congestion but I think they have the same numbers around the contest as the men just with two less forwards, or at least with us it seems like two less forwards.

Last edited:

That’s the setup for AFLW - I think the AFL thought it would open the game up more

AFLW is played with a smaller footy

That’s the setup for AFLW - I think the AFL thought it would open the game up more

AFLW is played with a smaller footy
They need to reduce the size of the playing arena.

That's pretty disrespectful.

Everyone is happy about the men being back in action. No need to tie it into an attack on the women.

Where did I say I would say I won't watch the AFLW and I could not give a F**k about it as just waste of Money and Time?

Skills Level be about the Same:straining:

Simplify the tactics.

I have no understanding why are they trying to repeat zones and structures like the AFL?

No offense intended, but I would think that it is fair to say that not many AFLW players would actually have the football brain of AFL players due to the fact that they are all less experienced.

Keep it simple. Play traditional structures and we might see some more fluency in our game

Simplify the tactics.

I have no understanding why are they trying to repeat zones and structures like the AFL?

No offense intended, but I would think that it is fair to say that not many AFLW players would actually have the football brain of AFL players due to the fact that they are all less experienced.

Keep it simple. Play traditional structures and we might see some more fluency in our game
I agree with a lot of your post but have a problem with 'football brain' (no offence taken either as I know what you mean).
Most of these females come from playing team sports and I don't see a lot of difference with having the natural skills/knowledge of anticipation, team work, evasiveness, positioning, knowing when to attack/defend etc.
There are a number of AFL players that don't have a 'football brain' (not just in our team).

I agree with a lot of your post but have a problem with 'football brain' (no offence taken either as I know what you mean).
Most of these females come from playing team sports and I don't see a lot of difference with having the natural skills/knowledge of anticipation, team work, evasiveness, positioning, knowing when to attack/defend etc.
There are a number of AFL players that don't have a 'football brain' (not just in our team).
IMO the way footy is played is very different to other team sports like soccer, basketball and netball. Coordination and understanding of what to achieve are very similar, but the conditioning and application of positioning and knowing when to attack and defend are different. It’s no different to a gun junior basketballer/ soccer player transferring to play Aussie rules or gun Aussie rules players trying to transfer to basketball- we’ve all seen these types when we were kids at school- Izzy Folau and Carmichael Hunt has similar difficulties. It’s more the lack of genuine exposure/experience to the intricacies of sport.
Don’t get me wrong- I enjoy watching it and think the girls are quite talented. I love seeing the girls get physical and play their hearts out, but there is more episodes of kick to kick than great passages of play (and there’s truly are some great passages of play!)

Simplify the tactics.

No offense taken to the ‘football brain’ reference.

My husband has accompanied me to AFLW practice matches in 2017 and 2018, and to games including last week. He keeps saying that many of the girls don’t yet have that innate knowledge of where to position themselves, to get to the right spot as the game is unfolding.

Some do, but it’s a weakness of the teams. And it’s nothing to do with brains, and all to do with missing out on year after year of training and development. It will come. And as Maggie5 notes, not all AFL players have it either!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back