Preview AFLW Round 2 v West Coast at VU Whitten Oval, Sunday 16/01/22 12:40pm local

Remove this Banner Ad

Just got my ticket. Get them free with my AFL membership. Suppose gives me something to do on sunday. haha
Got mine! Had to pay though since for some reason the matches included in the membership are only for games at Metricon???

This match reminds me a bit of round 2 in the 2020 AFL season where West Coast were forced to relocate interstate for a month or so and we were able to pull off a big win against them. West Coast's AFLW players will just be starting their interstate stint and may be off their game for this one, just like their men's team were in round 2 2020.

The media seems to think the Eagles are the favourites going into this one but I think it's a lot closer to a 50/50 match then some think given it's at a neutral venue and West Coast's players will be adjusting to an uncomfortable situation (particularly when the players are still part timers).

We need a few key players like Bella, Kindy and Stanton to stand up but there's no doubt in my mind that the girls can win this one and get our season back on track. Let's go girls!

This match reminds me a bit of round 2 in the 2020 AFL season where West Coast were forced to relocate interstate for a month or so and we were able to pull off a big win against them. West Coast's AFLW players will just be starting their interstate stint and may be off their game for this one, just like their men's team were in round 2 2020.

The media seems to think the Eagles are the favourites going into this one but I think it's a lot closer to a 50/50 match then some think given it's at a neutral venue and West Coast's players will be adjusting to an uncomfortable situation (particularly when the players are still part timers).

We need a few key players like Bella, Kindy and Stanton to stand up but there's no doubt in my mind that the girls can win this one and get our season back on track. Let's go girls!
I really rate our chances. I don’t think we are as bad as some people may think we are

Maybe others will be able to comment on this more than me but Joyce mentioned in his post match press conference that if you look at the improvement in performance from the practice match against Brisbane a few weeks back and compare it to Sunday's game against GWS, the girls have come a long way. Do others on here share that view?

I really rate our chances. I don’t think we are as bad as some people may think we are
We're also sitting ninth on the ladder right now so percentage isn't a problem for us at the moment. Six of the top seven teams in the league happen to be playing each other this weekend so it's entirely reasonable to suggest a win over West Coast will place us inside the top six. At the very least we know we should be tied fifth with a win on Sunday and it'll just be a case of percentage keeping us out of a top six finals position. This is what I meant last week when I mentioned banking a few wins in the first half of the season so you give yourself a chance to play finals later on. An "away" win over West Coast would be a great confidence booster for the girls heading into two consecutive home games at Metricon.

Maybe others will be able to comment on this more than me but Joyce mentioned in his post match press conference that if you look at the improvement in performance from the practice match against Brisbane a few weeks back and compare it to Sunday's game against GWS, the girls have come a long way. Do others on here share that view?

We're also sitting ninth on the ladder right now so percentage isn't a problem for us at the moment. Six of the top seven teams in the league happen to be playing each other this weekend so it's entirely reasonable to suggest a win over West Coast will place us inside the top six. At the very least we know we should be tied fifth with a win on Sunday and it'll just be a case of percentage keeping us out of a top six finals position. This is what I meant last week when I mentioned banking a few wins in the first half of the season so you give yourself a chance to play finals later on. An "away" win over West Coast would be a great confidence booster for the girls heading into two consecutive home games at Metricon.
Are stats for the game available somewhere? It seems like afl.com.au has no link.

I agree with Joyce. I definitely saw a progress. But let's be honest. It was very easy to improve from practice game. I did like how we sometimes (not often enough) moved the ball from defence and even deliveries inside 50. Once we got the ball inside 50 we were pretty good there. In the first half it looked like we can actually score. Against Lions I was worried we will not score at all. We still got caught out of positions but not as many times as against Lions. Against Lions kicks out of defence were horrendous, mostly just random kicks, no links. Against GWS, I was able to see some link up plays and players making smart decisions in defence. It pleasantly surprised me after Lions practice :p

The main problem against GWS was the same as against Lions. We lost it badly in the middle. I would love to see clearances differential against GWS. Unless we get hands on the ball more we can't improve. We can't just chase opposition and be under pressure most of the time despite our defence playing well. Our ball pressure compensated well for this major midfield issue in first half but in 2nd half GWS over-powered us.

Bella did play better but I am really getting annoyed by her hit outs. Easily predictable, no synergy with midfielders.

Howarth improved significantly, but she played in defence against Lions. I don't want to see her there again.

Last edited:
Are stats for the game available somewhere? It seems like afl.com.au has no link.

I agree with Joyce. I definitely saw a progress. But let's be honest. It was very easy to improve from practice game. I did like how we sometimes (not often enough) moved the ball from defence and even deliveries inside 50. Once we got the ball inside 50 we were pretty good there. In the first half it looked like we can actually score. Against Lions I was worried we will not score at all. We still got caught out of positions but not as many times as against Lions. Against Lions kicks out of defence were horrendous, mostly just random kicks, no links. Against GWS, I was able to see some link up plays and players making smart decisions in defence. It pleasantly surprised me after Lions practice :p

The main problem against GWS was the same as against Lions. We lost it badly in the middle. I would love to see clearances differential against GWS. Unless we get hands on the ball more we can't improve. We can't just chase opposition and be under pressure most of the time despite our defence playing well. Our ball pressure compensated well for this major midfield issue in first half but in 2nd half GWS over-powered us.

Bella did play better but I am really getting annoyed by her hit outs. Easily predictable, no synergy with midfielders.

Howarth improved significantly, but she played in defence against Lions. I don't want to see her there again.

From Rd1......
Clearances....GWS 31 ...GC 16

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With two scheduled games on 22/01/22 and 28/01/22 at Metricon and a Australia v Sri Lanka T20 cricket match on 15/02/22 are the women playing on the ground outside the stadium for those games?
No, they are playing on the main oval. I assume they are either playing with the pitch on the ground aka old footy style or will take it out and bring it back in?

In: Bush (Debut), Single, Groves-Little
Out: Hammond (Health Safety Protocols), Barba (Omitted), Whitford (Concussion)

AFLW Round 2 Team:

B#42 Jade Pregelj#7 Lauren Ahrens
HB#20 Daisy D’Arcy#39 Viv Saad#24 Hannah Dunn
C#23 Kalinda Howarth#33 Alison Drennan#14 Serene Watson
HF#28 Sarah Perkins#26 Kate Surman#1 Ellie Hampson
F #12 Tara Bohanna#30 Bess Keaney
FOLL#2 Lauren Bella#8 Charlie Rowbottom#17 Jamie Stanton
INT#19 Ashanti Bush#25 Dee Heslop#13 Lucy Single
#3 Tori Groves-Little#27 Jacqui Dupuy
EMG#15 Wallis Randell#21 Alana Barba

Charlie Rowbottom looks a lot more involved early in this game. She could be the difference today.

Rowbottom really starting to flex her ability in that quarter (particularly her tackling) and she's only going to get better from here!

I'll take that quarter from the girls. They cracked in and are in front at quarter time. Wasn't pretty at times but sometimes you have to play this way to get the W.

Dupuy gets our first goal of the afternoon after an awesome inside 50 tackle. We're back in front!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back