Preview AFLW Round 2 v West Coast at VU Whitten Oval, Sunday 16/01/22 12:40pm local

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
That fourth quarter proved A LOT of doubters wrong. Our girls can play footy at a high level and do have the desire to win games.

Wohoo! Let's go girls!!!

Mar 18, 2011
Everett
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
Still think there's a lot of issues. Refusal to try and switch the play and kick down the line, despite having players set up for the switch. Players not using hands out of stoppages and just hacking it forward. The game plan of keeping it inside will work against a team like the Eagles, who mirror us with an inability to look much better year on year. But against the top teams, who now have the skills to chain handballs out of stoppage and take grass, we will get beaten.

But happy to park all that for today. Very good for us to get a win. Does so much for belief.

KaySwizzle

Club Legend
Aug 19, 2020
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I thought that game was well an truely over, but that was some desperate final quarter footy. 5 goals in a final quarter is unreal! Everything just seemed to click at the right time.

Haha I’m caught on camera standing up on the seats

And The Victorian at the the front

12a02df9841b7cec1af249622a188511.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:
Apologies I completely missed this, had the little one with me so was trying to watch and manage her as well. I was in the 2nd row probably middle of the main stand. Good place to watch the footy. Decent crowd as well.

All good. Kids can get restless no doubt. Yeah. Originally I was behind the interchange bench until the last quarter when I went into the grandstand I was getting a little too much sun

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
What an amazing victory. I am so proud of our girls. We have proved a lot of girls wrong that is for sure!

I urge you to all look at Spud's post match interview.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Shoutout to the Victorian Suns supporters. Once again you were vocal and we could hear it on the TV. I know the players appreciate it and it's great to see we have interstate support when watching the game on TV from the Gold Coast. Good job guys :thumbsu:

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
Shoutout to the Victorian Suns supporters. Once again you were vocal and we could hear it on the TV. I know the players appreciate it and it's great to see we have interstate support when watching the game on TV from the Gold Coast. Good job guys :thumbsu:
It helped having lots of Vic suns girls playing so had lots of the family members and friends come down to support.

It helped having lots of Vic suns girls playing so had lots of the family members and friends come down to support.
Yeah 5 they said in the commentary. I just re-watched the last quarter.

In the grandstand a very large supporter base for Saad. They had red shirts on with her on it.

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
Yeah 5 they said in the commentary. I just re-watched the last quarter.

In the grandstand a very large supporter base for Saad. They had red shirts on with her on it.
The Saady army returns to the suns but under a different player this time Viv Saad

The Kings Ransom

Premiership Player
Aug 30, 2021
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Watched the highlights - seemed too strong overhead and kicked a few nice set shot goals.

Great to see the girls so excited after some reward for their hard work over the past 12 months.
Hopefully they take a few things from it going forward and back it up next week.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
It was great to see Townsville native Ellie Hampson play well yesterday. She is of course one of our three inaugural AFLW signings (along with Hammans / Whap) and I think she really started to deliver on her potential against the Eagles which was nice to see. If we can get Rowbottom, Hampson, Stanton, Yorston, Watson and D'Arcy firing through the middle then we are going to be a very difficult to beat in the middle of the ground.

Back