Preview AFLW Round 2 v West Coast at VU Whitten Oval, Sunday 16/01/22 12:40pm local

Remove this Banner Ad

Chuckles Rowbottom and Ellie Hampson both playing on ball is such a big improvement from last year (would not be hard).

Not just big bodies inside and not just winning the ball and tackling hard, but every now and then doing something really useful with it. Ellie has a boot on her for sure, clears some lines on its own.

If they keep playing well would be expecting Stanton to have a good year since she can stay outside more and have some extra time and space. Luxury!

I think it was Sunny who pointed out how ineffective Bella was in the ruck. I second that. Needs to do more useful things.

But that was a cracker finish after a stalemate 3 quarters.

Bella was awarded coaches votes in rd 1 so presumably played pretty well.

What was different between her games.

Bella was awarded coaches votes in rd 1 so presumably played pretty well.

What was different between her games.
Without looking at the stats, I would say hit-outs to advantage. Last week we dominated hit-outs but still got stomped in clearances, which indicates a disconnect between her and our mids. The Eagle’s game was more of a contested grind out of the middle, and Bella used her height to get first touch, but was often behind the ball in the ruck and again couldn’t always get the ball cleanly. She halves most hit-outs at least, so I wouldn’t say she is a bad ruck at all.

We looked far more competitive in the midfield when Dupuy was our ruck, unfortunately.
Harsh! Did you not see where Bella copped a pelvis to the head in the first quarter going over the ball and getting a free. Was close to being a HIA after she was ill at the break. 2 goals resulted in the last 1/4 from a kick from Bella and her standing in a tackle and hand balling which resulted in Spuds goal. Dupuy had a good game forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back