Review AFLW Round 2 vs Collingwood. The Good, bad and Fugly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, meant to have this up yesterday. The dees head down to old Vic Park to take on the Pies. Like last week this thread will morph into a gameday and terminate as a review thread
teamselectionr2.PNG

TV/Radio
Fox Footy, 7Mate (Vic), Kayo Sports, AFLW Website, SEN

Weather
21°C and Rain

Last edited:

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I'm just getting lunch at the stomping ground before heading to the game. Looks like the weather is clearing which is good. I've never been to Vic park so I'm not sure about coverage from the rain. Overall pretty excited go dees.

Looks like the rain is holding, and conditions look great for footy asides from a strong breeze, but that's just part of AFLW life

Pedantic

Club Legend
Jun 7, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Its easy to spot the 'true footballers' in this comp. Elise O'Dea is a true footy player. After seeing that banana kick to the top of the goal square from Tyla Hanks, you can add her to that list too.
Yeah, very easy to notice the girls who have played footy for the majority of their life. Still way too many players out there who you can tell just by things like how they hold the footy that they haven't played that much footy and definitely not enough in their formative years to become 'natural'. Not much the league can do to rectify it but give it time though.

Last edited:

fishyyyyy

Rookie
Sep 19, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
AFL Club
Melbourne
Really impressed by how this team has covered the loss of players at the end of last season. Hopefully Daisy will come back at some point, but Rocky and Hickey were huge in defence for us so it's been great to see how well we've evolved to cover those losses.

It was pretty blustery just sitting in the stands so I'm not hugely shocked by the low score - the ground is pretty unprotected compared to the MCG, Marvel etc. It would be great to see some more confidence when it comes to taking shots in front of goal. I appreciate a cheeky dish-off and sexy footy as much as anyone, but when you can't even have a sneaky glance at the clock to see how much time is left in a quarter I think you've unfortunately got to play it a bit straighter.

We're in review mode now.

Bests for me
3 Elise O'Dea (Pure dominance in the midfield)
2 Tyla Hanks
1 Karen Paxman

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Good - winning, the venue and the crowd. The first time I have been to Victoria Park and there's something special about going to the old suburban ground and with a healthy crowd it had a great buzz. Talking about the crowd the AFLW certainly is much more friendly and fun, certainly a good place to take kids, I don't have any but I would recommend. Hopefully it doesn't change in the future. After the game some old Collingwood supporter smiled at me and said congratulations, you would never get that in the mens lol. Thought the umpiring was pretty good too.

Bad it was frustrating in the first quarter dominating and not putting it on the board particularly when it's so low scoring. Probably should have had the game done by half time.

Ugly - not sure, I guess walking through Collingwood there's some things you don't want to see.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
We're in review mode now.

Bests for me
3 Elise O'Dea (Pure dominance in the midfield)
2 Tyla Hanks
1 Karen Paxman
I have O’dea, Paxman then Pearce - with HC to Hanks. Pearce gives us a lot.

I have O’dea, Paxman then Pearce - with HC to Hanks. Pearce gives us a lot.
I liked Pearce's ruck work, but around the ground she wasn't quote perfect. Fumbly and missing targets with kicks and handballs, 2nd term in particular she outright refused to take possession opting to knock it on instead a few times.

I might switch Hanks and Paxman around, but Hanks just gave us that class around the forward line that helped us score.

Talking about the crowd the AFLW certainly is much more friendly and fun, certainly a good place to take kids, I don't have any but I would recommend.
Borrow someone else's kids for the day?

I've been known to do this where there was a film that I particularly wanted to see.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Borrow someone else's kids for the day?

I've been known to do this where there was a film that I particularly wanted to see.
Just brave it out. I stood in a queue of under 5s to meet Bernie Vince once. You can sweat out the latest LEGO movie in the same manner

Good girls.

Fun fact - when I met Elise O’Dea, her favourite current AFL players are Jack Viney and Clayton Oliver. Smart woman.
But did you kiss hello?

On the game, I thought Cat Phillips was pretty good. Her defensive work was much improved. Eden Zanker a lot quieter than last week but was good in the ruck, and Elise is approaching Daisy levels of performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back