Game Day AFLW Round 2 vs GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

The two pre-season fancies to top their conferences square off in week two.

The Roogirls looked every bit the force they were expected to be, but it was only Carlton.

GWS couldn't manage to get past a Brisbane side missing Ashcroft, Gibson, Randall, and Stanton ... hang on, I'm hearing they're not going to be back and that is the actual Brisbane team. Still, GWS has talent, X-factor and a stable lineup and will be a challenge.

Put your previews here.

Would 0-2 be season over for GWS given it is a 7 week season or is the rest of the competition that bad?
It's not that they're that bad, though that pool does look weaker with all of Collingwood, Carlton and Geelong in it. 5-2 should get you comfortably top 2 in your pool, and 4-3 with good percentage a chance.

That was a huge game for Brisbane. They should expect to win all the rest of their intra-conference games now and only need one win against Freo, Melbourne, Bulldogs to lock in finals.

I think considering our training situation and the moving between tas and vic, I got a feeling we are well placed for games on the road.

Sissy Rose, my little Dachsador
sissy-in-jumper-1-jpg.611958

barks the following

Last year's game at the same venue between GWS and Carlton was a bogged-down injury-ridden slog after an ungodly thunderstorm at quarter-time. Just checked the forecast for Drummoyne on Friday... not great! So there's another reason, in addition to the heavy 5-day turnaround legs, why getting off to a good start and converting opportunities early looks like it's going to be crucial.

We will win easily. I watched GWS last week and they are average. Not sure if their defence has the tools to handle Garner, Gillespie-Jones and Hope in the air and Riddell and Ashmore on the ground.

They have a good midfield and Farrugia is a star but our defence will repel like last week as they do not kick to advantage as well as us.

Giants hope to lock down high-scoring Kangaroos
Marni Olsson-Young
Why not share? #AFLW

AA060219CS23.JPG

GREATER Western Sydney will be looking to "nullify" the powerful North Melbourne when it welcomes the NAB AFL Women's competition newcomer to Drummoyne Oval on Friday night.
The Giants will be desperate for a win in their first home game of the season after dropping the points to Brisbane in a close opening-round away match last Sunday.
This is the second straight year the Giants are hosting a match at Drummoyne in Sydney's inner west. Last year, they lost to Carlton in the corresponding round.
"It was a big occasion last year and we're expecting a big crowd here on Friday," vice-captain Alicia Eva said at a press conference at the venue on Wednesday.
"A lot has been spoken about our squad this year and we're pretty pumped to run out on our home deck," she said.
The Giants finished 2018 impressively and have been widely tipped to be contenders this year.
They'll be taking on the Kangaroos, who thumped Carlton in Hobart last Sunday in their AFLW debut.
FULL FIXTURE Check out when and where your club plays
"They'll come up here feeling pretty confident after the way they played, but we will go over what they did really well and look to nullify that," Eva said.
Despite walking away with a NAB AFLW Rising Star nomination for her standout round-one performance, first-year midfielder Alyce Parker is keen for a taste of victory.
"If we could have gotten the win (against the Lions, the Rising Star nomination) would have been a lot more special," Parker said on Wednesday
"But we're looking forward to round two and hopefully getting that 'W'."
W01BrGW19CH14.JPG

Alyce Parker was a shining light for the Giants in their narrow loss to the Lions
Eva has had to make a slight adjustment in having Parker as a teammate after coaching the youngster in the NSW/ACT team at last year's NAB AFLW Under-18 Championships.
"That was something we both had a laugh about early on, with the transition from coach and player to now being teammates," Eva said.
"She's actually my locker buddy as well."
AFLW INSIGHT New season, new rules
Parker is one of an impressive crop of draftees – including Victorians Nina Morrison (Geelong) and Maddy Prespakis (Carlton) – driving the standard of the competition up after coming through the elite junior player pathways.
"People are speaking about season one compared to the games last weekend, and how far the skill level has (improved)," Eva said.
Although she made a confident debut, Parker believes she has plenty of improvement in her and is looking at round one as "learning experience."
"There was a lot to learn from. There are things I need to work on," she said.
Parker moved to Sydney from her Holbrook home in southern NSW only two weeks after being drafted last October.
ONE GIANT FAMILY How GWS built its AFLW culture
The 18-year-old described the move as her "biggest challenge" so far, but the Giants are working hard to make her and others at the club who have moved from interstate (17) and overseas (two) at home.
Eva, who moved north from Victoria to join the club from Collingwood at the end of the 2017 season, said it had done a superb job looking after recruits.
"The club culture needs to be one that's inclusive, diverse and creates that real family-like environment," she said.
"They've done that really well."

I had a bit of a look at the Giants game. Beeson #6 looked pretty good, a busy midfielder, she looks pretty small but seemed to get a fair bit of the ball. The other player of theirs that stood out was Monahan #28 who was a bit of a hard ass in the back line and attacked the ball pretty hard and ran it out with a bit of run and carry.
I don't know if we have a tagger but I reckon if Kearney and Riddell can get first use we should have too much fire power. I think our back line is good enough to beat their forwards.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems to be on FTA TV in Sydney only. Big sarcastic thumbs up if so.

Think I will be driving out to Casey and Avalon, would really like to see the team live as much as possible.

We are only on FTA for the last two games. Good job, AFL. Nice way to promote the new team.

Seems to be on FTA TV in Sydney only. Big sarcastic thumbs up if so.

Think I will be driving out to Casey and Avalon, would really like to see the team live as much as possible.
And Canberra.:):):)

They really do take AFLW seriously huh... [no /, I'm going full sarcasm]
Knew it was only two games a week on 7, but I don’t understand why it would be shown in the city the game is being played and nowhere else, where fans can’t get to the game live. Frustrating.

I kinda hope they change the team up a bit week to week, just to give the girls a bit of a taste. Not too much considering it was a good win but the season is so short one or two changes each week would be good.
Yeah you’d hope they rotate through most of the squad over the course of the season. The four at the bottom of the stats sheet were:
Nanscawen - athletically strong cross-coder in her first AFLW game
Bateman - first draft pick
Randall - experienced import from Brisbane
Drennan - athletically strong cross-coder who bobbed up for a goal.

Can see them backing in all four of those.

5 day break is probably a good chance to get fresh legs in for anyone who’s pulled up sore. Maybe let Bresnehan stay down in Tassie and see what Lynch can do in the same role?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back