Game Day AFLW Round 2 vs GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

Just watched the replay, solid performance

Impressed with our recruits so far, they may stop us sliding which will be good

Would like to see Tighe show her potential that she had shown in early pre season games years ago

We have knocked off 2 of the likely bottom 4 teams now, so it shows we are still clearly above that bracket

The tests are going to be Melbourne, Pies, Crows, North and Brissy

Next 3 weeks are a good test though, Tigers are the best of the latest expansion teams and have been improving steadily, they were impressive against a good Demons side, 3 away on the trot should all be challenging games, hopefully we can pull out 2/3

I think the fixture shakeup has worked in our favour tbh, having Eagles earlier was better and starting the season with 2 wins will build confidence in the group, I don't think we would have beaten the Crows in round 1 but confidence can build results and now we may get them at a better time.

Slightly better but 10x, c'mon. Regardless, she's still not up to the required level, has terrible skills.
Skills are entirely overplayed as far as the AFLW goes at the moment (skill errors are often cancelled out by aother skill error by the opposition). Decision making is much more a point of difference that can be remedied in the short term... if you can't make a good decision, make a quick one.

I'd favour a more continuously assertive player over one who adopts a more hesitant/passive stance. You still need skills in the mix, but this would edge them for sure (and often what you find is the skills can improve with decisive vigour).

O'Driscoll goes hard and goes fast. That goes a long way in this game. I would wager the execution of her skills will improve significantly once she learns how to control her commitment to the contest; slowing down at the right time to dispose with momentum behind the ball instead of alongside or ahead of it.

There's another, perhaps related phenomenon, in the women's footy where ground ball collects take a little more time to complete and so there are more tackles and congestion around the ball. That is why seeing McMahon pull off the one-handed pickup so sweetly got me excited about the future of the game. That is why seeing the little tap-ons that our girls are pulling off is making me think they are thinking their way through these problems. My girl Tighe's work in round 1, with smart overhead flick-ons and crisp ball movement, was a delight to watch, but not as much of a delight as this footy pr0n:

I think Gemma Houghton exists on a different plane to the rest of us. She comes down from that realm oif existence occasionally to do some weird s**t out on the paddock - just piling it all up and torching it - and then disappears back to wherever she resides, leaving mayhem and chaos in her wake. I hope she lives forever.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back