Women's Footy AFLW Round 3, 2021 - Brisbane vs. West Coast

Who were your five best players against West Coast?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 15, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Sorry if this has already been covered, i just got home from work and keen to see the match yet foxtel didn't record it and i can see no evidence of it being televised on foxtel. I do not have free to air due to a glitch in the matrix beyond my pay grade. Did everyone else just watch it on free to air? Any idea where I may see it now? Cheers team, I don't post often but i lurk regularly and watch the lions like a religion. Any help would be appreciated.

Every game is replayed on the AFLW app. Online it’s at www.women’s.afl. There’s also a Telstra TV AFLW app that streams well when I had it last year. And it’s on Kayo.

Harry Haller

Senior List
Jan 12, 2011
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Suggest you do a search on Foxtel to see when the replay will be on
Thanks LongLion, I had already searched but must have pulled up short. Wednesday evening has a reply. We do get to watch replays of other matches that have already been replayed, potentially more than once. Anyway, I'm frustrated. Thanks for the help, Legend.

The women’s game has improved so much in just a few years. End to end link up plays, pressure on pressure, kicks hitting targets, players going in hard, periods dominance then changes in momentum. It’ll never be he men’s game in terms of strength but it flows and is extremely watchable. Really enjoyed today’s game.

Maroon Monsoon

All Australian
Oct 1, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Finally got to watch the game. Another week, another win for the girls! Gotta say you can really see the benefits of the teams focus on fitness and being able to run out all four quarters. The Eagles threw everything into the first half and our ability to withstand that and keep our poise into the second half made all the difference. Still a bit more dumbly on some of our handball chains than I'd like but the game plan is extremely watchable

Gotta say lutkins is so far above any other defender I've seen in the comp. She and koenen are such a good combo. And a blinder by arnell, a very good day for a veteran leaders.

Hard to believe how far Dakota has come in just her second season! her goals will get a lot of attention but I'm most impressed with her work rate up and down the field. she and bodey make such a difference with their ability to compliment their forward fifty work with pressure up the field. And it was great to see Taylor get a mini bag as well! She's been building to it this last few weeks.

As much as I enjoyed the on field stuff, though, the commentary really needs to lift...whoever the play by play commentator was - Kate something I think - was woefully bad. Her barracking for the Eagles was one thing (it sounded like they were dominating us by more when they were down one point in the second quarter than when we were up forty in the last) but her inability to get even basic details right was embarrassing. When they had a graphic showing 3 lions in the top 5 goal kickers and she started talking about how remarkable it was we had 2 in the top 5 had me muting the tv to preserve my sanity

Harry Haller

Senior List
Jan 12, 2011
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Every game is replayed on the AFLW app. Online it’s at www.women’s.afl. There’s also a Telstra TV AFLW app that streams well when I had it last year. And it’s on Kayo.
Thanks Mayestro, I think the online women's afl might now need you to subscribe to Kayo. If you select watchfull replay it just links you to the match report. Might be Kayo for me.

Oct 13, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
The women’s game has improved so much in just a few years. End to end link up plays, pressure on pressure, kicks hitting targets, players going in hard, periods dominance then changes in momentum. It’ll never be he men’s game in terms of strength but it flows and is extremely watchable. Really enjoyed today’s game.

Couldn't agree more.

Improving almost from game to game.

the Melbourne/ North game was a cracker and probably the best standard AFLW game played to date.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FLVanLandingham

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
you don't watch the replay as a whole, each qtr is an individual vid

all worked fine for me.

managed to watch the start of the 2nd half which I had sadly missed (was a great surprise on my return though!)

so great to see how we can turn it on and push so hard.

Agree largely - though something I noticed even still yesterday, and when I verbalised it my wife said she saw the same, is that the girls still favour bending at the hips for hard ball gets contests instead of having someone in underneath and pushing it out. This allows the opposition to hip and shoulder them off balance. Is there some different interpretation of the rules for AFLW which prevents this? It's probably the largest difference between the mens and womens game styles I can see right now, the rest of what I saw yesterday was super impressive - overlap handballs, running in waves the tackling omg the tackling.

I love how underrated the girls are with the commentary. It makes me giggle so much.

FLVanLandingham

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Lutkins gets a lot of the praise, but Koenen is probably one of my favourite players. Constantly gets the job done each week, and I think they pushed her into the centre from 2nd half on and made a big impact there too?

Agree largely - though something I noticed even still yesterday, and when I verbalised it my wife said she saw the same, is that the girls still favour bending at the hips for hard ball gets contests instead of having someone in underneath and pushing it out. This allows the opposition to hip and shoulder them off balance. Is there some different interpretation of the rules for AFLW which prevents this? It's probably the largest difference between the mens and womens game styles I can see right now, the rest of what I saw yesterday was super impressive - overlap handballs, running in waves the tackling omg the tackling.

I love how underrated the girls are with the commentary. It makes me giggle so much.
My suspicion is that someone in underneath relies on having teammates set up around you. The women's fitness is getting there but not up to getting multiple players to every contest, unlike the men's where you can rely on that. Bending at the hips makes it easier to both lock it in without getting pinged (if you keep your hands on it) or win a solo clearance.

511893E5-17A5-4478-83DF-CA3FDF23B69C.jpeg

Back