Unofficial Preview AFLW Round 3 - Fremantle v Collingwood - Saturday 16th February 19 Fremantle Oval, 4:15pm (AEST) 7:15PM (ADST)

Sorry to say but but look near wooden spooners. Need to put some wigs on the boys and introduce Dayna Beams, Stella Sidebottom and Tayla Adams to the team

We are unbackable Favourte for the Wooden Spoon

Not sure how King, Garner, Duffin and Hope came under 100 points
They wouldn’t. The existing clubs voted against those AFL protections.

Shortly after that was announced Siekman’s comments gave me no confidence we’d retain our players.

Shortly after that was announced Siekman’s comments gave me no confidence we’d retain our players.

Only 2 Players I worry to leave would be Brazil and D'arcy as no one would any of the other Girls

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sydney Sweeney's Shaving Team...
I think they wanted to avoid the GWS scenario where expansion clubs were given pretty much the majority of the best young talent for years and starved the rest of the teams that needed young talent from having access to it. Their intent was also for the new clubs to be competitive from the word go so they wanted them to have a fair few established players.

According to this article: https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...019-list-expansion-rules-20171017-gz2jfs.html

"Existing Victorian AFLW clubs Melbourne, Carlton, Collingwood and the Western Bulldogs were involved in the process of formulating the expansion player rules, as were North and Geelong. The AFL has determined that the AFLW All-Australian committee will give each player at a Victorian club a points rating between 10 and 50, based on performance, but also taking into account injury, age and other relevant factors.

A window will open shortly after the end of the second AFLW season in which the Demons, Blues, Magpies and Dogs will need to give up players to their rivals. Existing clubs will give up between two and four players to a total worth of 100 points."

Not sure how King, Garner, Duffin and Hope came under 100 points. I think they need to look at how they value players. I think Collingwood was the major anomaly, however, there is still the potential to make an even stronger team than we did if a club could get one or two of the best players from all 10 clubs. We didn't get any players from Adelaide, Fremantle, GWS or Melbourne (we traded draft picks with Melbourne for some players as they were raided by Geelong before we could sign anyone).

I'd like to see them review how they value players because it seems a bit off and also, they should place a cap on the total value of points an expansion team can take in from other clubs. Outside of Kearney, King, Duffin and Garner, I don't think most of the other ladies we took rated that higher at their respective clubs and Geelong ended up with pick #1 and #2, we got significantly worse picks so there was an opportunity cost in terms of taking a few more mature players. I think we could have taken fewer mature ladies from other clubs because we have had an outstanding output from the ladies we took from the VFLW and the draft. I think a big part of the success is from being able to play an aggressive pressure style of football while also having pretty good ball skills across the board, we just pressure sides into turning the ball over and you don't particularly need a super talented side to put pressure on.

I'm not trying to troll you here but would you refer to the collingwood men's players as gentlemen? I have this thing about calling the women "Ladies". It sounds like its a post from the 19th century....or its wimbledon. Other than that, I love your work

That is kind of silly then, not sure what they were thinking.

According to our coach we did
According to our coach the issue against Melbourne is we didn't move the ball inside 50 quick enough. Never mind that our issue for 3 years now is bomb and hope.

I'm not trying to troll you here but would you refer to the collingwood men's players as gentlemen? I have this thing about calling the women "Ladies". It sounds like its a post from the 19th century....or its wimbledon. Other than that, I love your work

I guess I could call them women if it offends.

That is kind of silly then, not sure what they were thinking.
Apparently

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...t/news-story/ffac4010475501a80bcc43506205733c
Clubs have backed their culture and own organisation’s appeal to hold onto their premier talent.

However our coach then had say gem to say

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...-ends-crows-flag-defence-20180318-p4z4yh.html
Siekman said he was fearful about looming raids from expansion clubs Geelong and North Melbourne, both of whom enter the competition next season.

“Unfortunately, where this competition’s at at the moment, the existing clubs get no say in who gets poached," Siekman said.

“And it’s scary. Last year we were really disappointed that our two best players (Nic Stevens and Alicia Eva) left our football club, and this year I get really scared and really worried that our top three, top four players, could leave this club. It’s not fair on the existing clubs.

“You can get your heart broken straight down the middle.

“You’d actually love to be a Geelong or North Melbourne."

Other club's didn't lose the same quality of players, so it's fair to assume our AFLW culture is s**t.

According to our coach the issue against Melbourne is we didn't move the ball inside 50 quick enough. Never mind that our issue for 3 years now is bomb and hope.

Problem was when we kicked it was no where near there Teammates and most time went straight to a Melbourne Player and IF we did get the Ball we Drop the Mark then Fumble with the Ball

The Women's Team needs to almost start from Scratch Again
It's at least 12 months too late. There's been rumours previously in AFL of player exodus' due to the coach and on most occasions the coach goes and the players stay.

The girls are doing their best, as is the coach.
I'm sure none mean to lose or perform badly. If we're being fair dinkum though something has to give and we've already turned over at around half of our best 21.

Back