Unofficial Preview AFLW Round 3 - Fremantle v Collingwood - Saturday 16th February 19 Fremantle Oval, 4:15pm (AEST) 7:15PM (ADST)

Remove this Banner Ad

50 points in 3 games. A percentage of 49.5. Terrible.

North are averaging 51 points a game.
The ladders make for interesting reading - with two more cross over games between the conferences remaining this round teams in Conference A (NM, Freo, WB, Ade, Mel) have 10 wins between them while teams in Conference B (Car, BL, Gee, GWS, Coll) have just 3 wins between them. Best case it will be 10 wins to 5 at the end of the round, but that could be as distant as 12-3.

I understand the girls are doing their best, but I think there lays the biggest problem. We weren't good enough with our original marquee players, and the AFL has allowed them to be taken away from us, making us go backwards even further.

It's hard to get interested in AFLW when you tune in on a Saturday night and witness that we can't kick (let alone a goal!) to save ourselves compared to the other sides.

I might have some interest later in life when my daughter grows up, but for now it's just another year where I hope they're working towards something bigger and better.

Saw the girls live today so it was a different perspective from usually watching it on TV.

We are all entitled to our opinions and that’s part and parcel with this forum, but some comments are a bit ridiculous. The girls did try their best but obviously, they aren’t good enough at present and I’m not going to go through all the reasons why they aren’t.

Summary on players:

Nicole Hildebrand
First game today in defence. No impact.

Sarah D'Arcy
Presented as a marking target all day and took some good marks early. Seemed she was carrying some kind of injury in the 2nd half but still one of our better players today and continued to work hard.
Jordyn Allen
Played back and forward today and tried hard. Still learning
Sarah Rowe
Much improved today as compared to the last two games. Good gut running and tried to make something happen. Still learning, though.
Brittany Bonnici
Was much better today and more her usual self; running everywhere and throwing herself around and tackling non-stop. Came off late in the game and was just completely and physically exhausted.
Ash Brazill
A good game today. Copped a couple of bad hits. Sore in the ribs in the 3rd and smashed in the moosh/nose in the last. I thought one of our best today.

Eliza Hynes
I thought her best game for us today. She was really good in the centre bounces today.
Stacey Livingstone
The ball was coming down there a lot and it was coming in high so she battled well.
Jaimee Lambert
Was serviceable today.

Katie Lynch
Better today in her second game. Still learning.
Stephanie Chiocci
Much better today on the ball. The first two games were ordinary.
Ruby Schleicher
No impact today.
Cecilia McIntosh
No impact today.
Iilish Ross
First half was unsighted but tried real hard in the second half.
Sophie Casey
No impact.
Sophie Alexander
Quite game today after the week off with concussion.

Mikala Cann
No impact today, could have had a run with role.

Holly Whitford
Quite game.
Georgia Gourlay
Better than last week and still learning.

Maddie Shevlin
Tried really hard today and adds pace and excitement to the side. Someone to look forward to seeing how she progresses.
Sarah Dargan
Tried really hard all day. I thought in our best players today.

So you think they should escape critisism because of their gender? Something is obviously going wrong in our AFLW system, "oh well at least they tried" is a terrible attitude that belongs in auskick and leads to mediocrity.
We don't keep score in our under 11's soccer match & everyone gets to play equal minutes regardless of ability.

Yay!!!

So you think they should escape critisism because of their gender? Something is obviously going wrong in our AFLW system, "oh well at least they tried" is a terrible attitude that belongs in auskick and leads to mediocrity.

The issue isn’t the players.

The coach has no idea. It’s just basics. Stop playing players out of position.

Alexander down back when we have no legit tall targets down forward ?

Cecilia McIntosh should be down back. Has leg speed and is wasted up forward. As she looks like she doesn’t know what she’s doing.

Chiochi isn’t a mid. Needs to be playing off HFF.

That’s three obvious ones that straightens our team up in a few positions.

We had ridiculous amount of changes in off season. Bernadi , Duffin , Garner , Hope and King are all top ten players. We lose five of our top ten on top of our best player Molloy to injury.

You can’t blame the girls on the field today when the new teams entering are poaching players. The league is run like a joke.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The issue isn’t the players.

The coach has no idea. It’s just basics. Stop playing players out of position.

Alexander down back when we have no legit tall targets down forward ?

Cecilia McIntosh should be down back. Has leg speed and is wasted up forward. As she looks like she doesn’t know what she’s doing.

Chiochi isn’t a mid. Needs to be playing off HFF.

That’s three obvious ones that straightens our team up in a few positions.

We had ridiculous amount of changes in off season. Bernadi , Duffin , Garner , Hope and King are all top ten players. We lose five of our top ten on top of our best player Molloy to injury.

You can’t blame the girls on the field today when the new teams entering are poaching players. The league is run like a joke.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Sure maybe the coaching is bad, but having watched plenty of AFLW games lately other teams seem to be able to execute basic passes and hold chest marks a lot more consistently than our players.

It’s just a bunch of keyboard warriors beating their chest.

Apparently

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...t/news-story/ffac4010475501a80bcc43506205733c

However our coach then had say gem to say

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...-ends-crows-flag-defence-20180318-p4z4yh.html

Other club's didn't lose the same quality of players, so it's fair to assume our AFLW culture is s**t.

Yep totally agree. It seems to me the club isn’t taking the women’s team anywhere near as seriously as other clubs have been.

Or they simply dislike the coach and nothing has been done about it. To continually lose your best players after a year is a major concern.

Maybe the girls can participate in another training session with the guys? That seemed to show our ‘culture’?!

Would you have said the same thing about the men’s team if we had a similar run over 3 years?
The current women’s competition is semi professional and little more than a lightning premiership (7 game season). Any comparison to the men’s comp is ridiculous.

Yep totally agree. It seems to me the club isn’t taking the women’s team anywhere near as seriously as other clubs have been.

Or they simply dislike the coach and nothing has been done about it. To continually lose your best players after a year is a major concern.

Maybe the girls can participate in another training session with the guys? That seemed to show our ‘culture’?!
That’s just a bunch of ignorant assumptions.

We don't keep score in our under 11's soccer match & everyone gets to play equal minutes regardless of ability.

Yay!!!
While another discussion, what’s wrong with that at U/11 level? It’s all about participation and improving skills. And we all know the parents are keeping score.....

The current women’s competition is semi professional and little more than a lightning premiership (7 game season). Any comparison to the men’s comp is ridiculous.
I’m sure the girls will be offended with your comments that their comp is ‘little more than a lightening premiership’. I’m sure they don’t feel that way just as I’m sure it’s one of the reasons the better players have moved on at the first opportunity. The club probably has a similar attitude in that it’s something we probably should have but don’t waste too much time on it because we don’t view it as a serious comp.

I can tell you the AFL local club in my area had record number of junior players last year. The number of boys actually fell (many going to play soccer), however, the girls playing has been increasing at a phenomenal rate. These girls are the future supporter base and players.

A friend of mine (ex-Carlton footballer) even told me that he received a call from Carlton about his 10 year old daughter in that the blues are setting up like a junior academy.

So, other clubs have seen the potential and future growth and so are taking it very seriously. The Pies don’t seem to be. Probably because, like yourself, they see it as nothing more than a ‘lightening premiership’. And the players who have left probably agree that’s the attitude coming from the club.

Thanks for that. Good read. Very interesting timeline. Who is that poster? Sounds like someone very close to the workings of the league.

I think the poster is involved in the competition or associated media. Is very informed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back