Preview AFLW Round 3 v Brisbane (Q-Clash W) at Metricon, Thursday 17/02/22 6:40pm local

Remove this Banner Ad

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
Can we go two in a row? Brisbane aren't looking as 'slick' as the team that won the 2021 Premiership and definitely aren't matching the team we played in the PS prac match. I say we are a big chance after the confidence booster win today in Footscray!

Can we go two in a row? Brisbane aren't looking as 'slick' as the team that won the 2021 Premiership and definitely aren't matching the team we played in the PS prac match. I say we are a big chance after the confidence booster win today in Footscray!
No Lutkins. No Davidson. No recent match play. Low confidence. If we were ever a chance to beat Brisbane, this would be it.

I remember last time we played Brisbane at Metricon and the girls really got up for the occasion so I'm hoping for a similar effort this time around. Without Lutkins, which of their defenders will go to Bohanna and can they actually stop her? She looked unstoppable today in the fourth quarter so it'll be interesting to see how the Lions go about trying to stop her. Perhaps captain Koenen gets the job?

A win would consolidate a spot in the top 6 for us and really ram home confidence in the new game plan under Joyce. Let's go!

No Lutkins. No Davidson. No recent match play. Low confidence. If we were ever a chance to beat Brisbane, this would be it.

I remember last time we played Brisbane at Metricon and the girls really got up for the occasion so I'm hoping for a similar effort this time around. Without Lutkins, which of their defenders will go to Bohanna and can they actually stop her? She looked unstoppable today in the fourth quarter so it'll be interesting to see how the Lions go about trying to stop her. Perhaps captain Koenen gets the job?

A win would consolidate a spot in the top 6 for us and really ram home confidence in the new game plan under Joyce. Let's go!
I would love to go. Might be able to get up.. maybe, just won’t book flight yet because as we saw with the lions last week, things might change.

The girls have said last season they were sick of getting pumped every week. Now with confidence after the big win today even though it was against the eagles, they feel they are good enough to match it with the best if they play like they did in those last 10 minutes. Has any AFLW team scored that many points in a last quarter like we did? Was goosebump stuff.

Keaney, Drennan, Saad, Rowbottom, Bohanna, Perkins, Groves-Little, Dupuy, Bush, Single all playing in their first wins for the club.

Whitfort comes in to boost our midfield. When Yorston comes in the week after (ideally), the midfield is starting to look pretty strong.

Where's Brit Perry at? She would combine with a few of our other forwards quite nicely.

Saad very much a liability right now. Recruited as a ruck/forward, but playing down back as a KPD. Her lack of expertise in that area really shows. Extremely nervous, leaked a few goals today with her errors. Dunno if we can keep her after that performance.

Whitfort comes in to boost our midfield. When Yorston comes in the week after (ideally), the midfield is starting to look pretty strong.

Where's Brit Perry at? She would combine with a few of our other forwards quite nicely.

Saad very much a liability right now. Recruited as a ruck/forward, but playing down back as a KPD. Her lack of expertise in that area really shows. Extremely nervous, leaked a few goals today with her errors. Dunno if we can keep her after that performance.
I think I’ve worked out why Perry isn’t playing. We have a girl called Tara Bohanna. she isn’t playing too badly in our forwardline so she is keeping Perry out.

Yorston was a big player for us in 2020 so will be a much welcomed boost.

I agree with Saad, she is obviously not confident in that position so should be put back to her usual position. I’d follow the Melbourne mens style and have two rucks playing with one sitting in the forwardline and the other in the ruck and rotate it throughout the game.

Hi guys, feel free to vote for the suns AFLW board medal!

Fair play to coach Joyce. He said we've gotten better with every match so far this year and I think it's hard to argue with that. The practice match against Brisbane in December was a comprehensive loss and I don't believe we won a single quarter in that game. Skip forward to the GWS game last week where we won the first quarter, were ahead at halftime and were only one goal behind at three quarter time. Then we had yesterday's match where we won the first, third and fourth quarters but it was really the performance in the final term that showed the improvement.

Now it's about replicating that fourth quarter effort for longer periods of the game. I don't believe it's possible for a team to play at that level for an entire match but if you can play like that for three quarters, or even a half of footy, then you are going to win most games. Obviously this game is a step up in opposition but we couldn't ask for better form coming into the game and the girls now have a top 6 ladder position to defend so they should be playing in a desperate manner like we saw in the fourth quarter against West Coast.

Let's go girls!

Uh, whaat?

In regards to the bolded.

Uh, whaat?

In regards to the bolded.
Brisbane didn't kick their first goal until the 11 minute mark of the fourth quarter against the Crows and lost their two best key position players for almost all of the season. Then there's the disruption the covid cases have caused. I don't really see how confidence could possibly be anything other than low right now... When was the last time Brisbane went more than three and a half quarters of a game without kicking a goal? Has that ever happened for the Lions AFLW team?

On the flip side, our girls probably played the best quarter football our team has ever put together on Sunday and scoring doesn't seem to be an issue for us this season (we've kicked 10 goals). I'm sure the media will tip Brisbane before the game starts but I think this fixture is a lot closer to a 50/50 than some think. Also, Metricon Stadium is one of the few away venues in the AFLW that the Lions are yet to record a win at so that's a factor here too.

I'm not saying we're going to win. I'm saying we're a chance.

Selection is going to be interesting.

Claudia Whitford should be right to play and come in for Ellie Hampson

Viv Saad should either be moved to the forwardline/ruck or get dropped. She made some pretty costly mistakes in the backline last game.

Brisbane didn't kick their first goal until the 11 minute mark of the fourth quarter against the Crows and lost their two best key position players for almost all of the season. Then there's the disruption the covid cases have caused. I don't really see how confidence could possibly be anything other than low right now... When was the last time Brisbane went more than three and a half quarters of a game without kicking a goal? Has that ever happened for the Lions AFLW team?

On the flip side, our girls probably played the best quarter football our team has ever put together on Sunday and scoring doesn't seem to be an issue for us this season (we've kicked 10 goals). I'm sure the media will tip Brisbane before the game starts but I think this fixture is a lot closer to a 50/50 than some think. Also, Metricon Stadium is one of the few away venues in the AFLW that the Lions are yet to record a win at so that's a factor here too.

I’m not entering a discussion about who might win, etc.

Just would like to point out that one loss is unlikely to dent our confidence, nor even the loss of key players.

One thing our team has shown is that they love being the underdog and other clubs/media doubting them. In fact, we tend to thrive off of adversity. That’s part of the make up and culture of our team.

Just would like to point out that one loss is unlikely to dent our confidence, nor even the loss of key players.

One thing our team has shown is that they love being the underdog and other clubs/media doubting them. In fact, we tend to thrive off of adversity. That’s part of the make up and culture of our team.
No loss of confidence when you get belted R1 as reigning premiers and then have your coach making all kind of excuses after the game?? hmmm

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Honestly, I believe to assume that Lions after one loss are low on confidence is a stretch. Crows vs Lions was another level compared to games Suns played. Lions actually dominated 1st quarter and did not take their opportunities. Lions then lost 2 key players and Crows got on top of them. Crows looked stronger and run harder, top 4 material for me. Yes, covid can and will probably mess up their fitness and they may miss more players. Still they are favourite for me.

I would temper optimism after one win. It was great and I am happy for girls but don't forget we were 16 points down with 9 min to go. Everything went Suns way in those 9 mins. It does not happen every day. IMO, after 2 rounds, Eagles are bottom 4-6 teams together with Suns, GWS probably too. We still have issue in the ruck. Hampson is a significant loss. Let's see how we go against better teams.

Last edited:

Two players isn't it? Davidson I felt is also a big injury given how much speed she brings to the forward line. But nevertheless, this is why clubs have squads, you shouldn't need to rely on a couple players.
Case in point: Pies had 3 of its top 5 players out and still performed last weekend. Depth is so important.

Agree, she was unbelievable in practice game, scored 3 goals I believe. I was surprised a bit she did not play in round 1.
Can only fit so many tall forwards in a lineup.

Davidson out should hopefully give Zimmy a chance. Though she’s not a centre forward type, playing out of the square. Wardlaw or Smith likely to play as the deepest forward, and Zimmy to play on the forward 50 line.

Can only fit so many tall forwards in a lineup.

Davidson out should hopefully give Zimmy a chance. Though she’s not a centre forward type, playing out of the square. Wardlaw or Smith likely to play as the deepest forward, and Zimmy to play on the forward 50 line.
Who will replace Lutkins?

Honestly, I believe to assume that Lions after one loss are low on confidence is a stretch. Crows vs Lions was another level compared to games Suns played. Lions actually dominated 1st quarter and did not take their opportunities. Lions then lost 2 key players and Crows got on top of them. Crows looked stronger and run harder, top 4 material for me. Yes, covid can and will probably mess up their fitness and they may miss more players. Still they are favourite for me.

I would temper optimism after one win. It was great and I am happy for girls but don't forget we were 16 points down with 9 min to go. Everything went Suns way in those 9 mins. It does not happen every day. IMO, after 2 rounds, Eagles are bottom 4-6 teams together with Suns, GWS probably too. We still have issue in the ruck. Hampson is a significant loss. Let's see how we go against better teams.
So if neither of those key players will be lining up for them this Saturday night, why even mention their dominance in the first quarter? Surely their performance AFTER the injuries occurred is what we should be looking at...

I've already stated that I'm not necessarily predicting a win, just that I think we're a chance to win given the circumstances. Brisbane obviously belted our girls just a few weeks ago but that was with Lutkins and Davidson. Now we get to find out if Brisbane has genuine depth in their key positions. We're also coming off the biggest AFLW win in the club history so confidence would be sky high amongst our players.

We can agree to disagree on the confidence argument but one thing is for sure, a loss for Brisbane in this game could be catastrophic later on. The AFLW has such a short season (10 H&A games in 2022) which means starting the year 0-2 immediately puts your back right up against the wall and you're now in a position where you're trying to catch up to everyone else. It's essentially the equivalent of starting an AFL season 0-4 and knowing you'll have to string together a lot of wins later on to give yourself a chance at finals.

Generally speaking, it will take at least 5-6 wins to make the finals in this season of the AFLW. Are you confident that Brisbane will win 6 of their remaining 8 games of the season (one of which will likely be played mid-week) should they lose this Saturday night? Brisbane doesn't exactly have the kindest draw either with some of the big guns of the competition like Collingwood and Melbourne coming up in the next month of footy.

So if neither of those key players will be lining up for them this Saturday night, why even mention their dominance in the first quarter? Surely their performance AFTER the injuries occurred is what we should be looking at..
Why? Lions were 2 players down on rotations for 3 quarters (unless I missed injury substitute in AFLW). They will be replaced. Lions have a good depth. The main issue I see for Lions is in what shape players will be after covid.

Obviously, Suns have a shot but I expect Lions to be fired up. Looking forward to it.

Why? Lions were 2 players down on rotations for 3 quarters (unless I missed injury substitute in AFLW). They will be replaced. Lions have a good depth. The main issue I see for Lions is in what shape players will be after covid.

Obviously, Suns have a shot but I expect Lions to be fired up. Looking forward to it.
No injury substitutes.

What killed us that game (apart from not taking our chances early on) was the significantly wider field. We weren’t prepared for so much play out wide, often not lining up with the wider set up by the Crows.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back