Preview AFLW Round 3 v Brisbane (Q-Clash W) at Metricon, Thursday 17/02/22 6:40pm local

Remove this Banner Ad

So if neither of those key players will be lining up for them this Saturday night, why even mention their dominance in the first quarter? Surely their performance AFTER the injuries occurred is what we should be looking at...

I've already stated that I'm not necessarily predicting a win, just that I think we're a chance to win given the circumstances. Brisbane obviously belted our girls just a few weeks ago but that was with Lutkins and Davidson. Now we get to find out if Brisbane has genuine depth in their key positions. We're also coming off the biggest AFLW win in the club history so confidence would be sky high amongst our players.

We can agree to disagree on the confidence argument but one thing is for sure, a loss for Brisbane in this game could be catastrophic later on. The AFLW has such a short season (10 H&A games in 2022) which means starting the year 0-2 immediately puts your back right up against the wall and you're now in a position where you're trying to catch up to everyone else. It's essentially the equivalent of starting an AFL season 0-4 and knowing you'll have to string together a lot of wins later on to give yourself a chance at finals.

Generally speaking, it will take at least 5-6 wins to make the finals in this season of the AFLW. Are you confident that Brisbane will win 6 of their remaining 8 games of the season (one of which will likely be played mid-week) should they lose this Saturday night? Brisbane doesn't exactly have the kindest draw either with some of the big guns of the competition like Collingwood and Melbourne coming up in the next month of footy.
I believe we’re doing alright by this morning’s photo’s.

No Lutkins. No Davidson. No recent match play. Low confidence. If we were ever a chance to beat Brisbane, this would be it.

I remember last time we played Brisbane at Metricon and the girls really got up for the occasion so I'm hoping for a similar effort this time around. Without Lutkins, which of their defenders will go to Bohanna and can they actually stop her? She looked unstoppable today in the fourth quarter so it'll be interesting to see how the Lions go about trying to stop her. Perhaps captain Koenen gets the job?

A win would consolidate a spot in the top 6 for us and really ram home confidence in the new game plan under Joyce. Let's go!
Here you go GC2015, pretty much addresses your statement half way through the 2 minute video.

Here you go GC2015, pretty much addresses your statement half way through the 2 minute video.

I'm not sure that interview really showed what you were hoping it would...

First of all, that interview confirms that some Brisbane players are still in quarantine and aren't training just three days out of from the QClash which means it's entirely possible some of them won't be negative come Saturday morning and will miss the game. The train on players are even mentioned which really makes me think there could be a few who miss on Saturday. Then you've got Koenen saying things like "it's been a really stressful week", "it's been a hard week" and "it's been quite challenging". Even "control the controllables" doesn't sound like an overly confident statement. Really the only positive thing she said in that interview was that she felt the morale was really good but then followed it up by saying the situation was very challenging.

Sounds like a lot of unknown amongst the Brisbane girls and they have the perfect excuse to not perform on Saturday. If they don't win then I'm sure the same lines will be rolled out about it being a challenging/stressful/hard week in the lead up to the game and it showed on the field.

I'm not sure that interview really showed what you were hoping it would...

First of all, that interview confirms that some Brisbane players are still in quarantine and aren't training just three days out of from the QClash which means it's entirely possible some of them won't be negative come Saturday morning and will miss the game. The train on players are even mentioned which really makes me think there could be a few who miss on Saturday. Then you've got Koenen saying things like "it's been a really stressful week", "it's been a hard week" and "it's been quite challenging". Even "control the controllables" doesn't sound like an overly confident statement. Really the only positive thing she said in that interview was that she felt the morale was really good but then followed it up by saying the situation was very challenging.

Sounds like a lot of unknown amongst the Brisbane girls and they have the perfect excuse to not perform on Saturday. If they don't win then I'm sure the same lines will be rolled out about it being a challenging/stressful/hard week in the lead up to the game and it showed on the field.
Seeing as the original point I questioned in your post related specifically to the morale of our group, and that’s the only thing I’ve personally discussed with you, I’d say that’s the point I was highlighting.

Everything else I haven’t touched, because I simply don’t know.

Seeing as the original point I questioned in your post related specifically to the morale of our group, and that’s the only thing I’ve personally discussed with you, I’d say that’s the point I was highlighting.

Everything else I haven’t touched, because I simply don’t know.
Fair enough. If the morale is truly is high then that's a good sign for a team that hasn't had a lot go their way over the last fortnight.]

Have a listen to what Starcevich has to say around the 3:50 mark of this video. He labels this QClash an "absolute danger game" and looked genuinely terrified when the journalist suggested that the Suns are coming in on the back of a confidence building win over the weekend. He obviously knows his team is massively compromised right now and they are coming up against a dangerous team with belief that showed very impressive signs in their last outing.

All will be revealed on Saturday. I know our girls are very excited to play their first true home game at Metricon this weekend and obviously the implications of either team winning or losing could really make or break their seasons in 6-8 weeks from now when the finals race is really heating up.

Fair enough. If the morale is truly is high then that's a good sign for a team that hasn't had a lot go their way over the last fortnight.]

Have a listen to what Starcevich has to say around the 3:50 mark of this video. He labels this QClash an "absolute danger game" and looked genuinely terrified when the journalist suggested that the Suns are coming in on the back of a confidence building win over the weekend. He obviously knows his team is massively compromised right now and they are coming up against a dangerous team with belief that showed very impressive signs in their last outing.

All will be revealed on Saturday. I know our girls are very excited to play their first true home game at Metricon this weekend and obviously the implications of either team winning or losing could really make or break their seasons in 6-8 weeks from now when the finals race is really heating up.
Sorry, don’t want to be drawn in to the rest of your discussion.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed about the QClash not going ahead this Saturday night but you can choose to look at this as a positive or a negative for our girls. Some of our players likely won't play/train again until late next week at the earliest and that obviously causes some issues and we potentially lose some of the momentum we gained last week. We will also likely have to make up for the game mid-week at some point over the next month so that's the negative way of looking at it. The positive way of looking at it would be that the girls had to travel to Mackay in week 1 and Melbourne in week 2 so having a rest after two weeks on the road will probably do their bodies a world of good considering how young our list is. We also avoid playing the defending premiers until later in the season (if at all) and that can definitely be seen as a positive. There is also the possibility that Jacqui Yorston will be available to play next week and that helps cover the loss of Ellie Hampson for her one game suspension.

According to the current schedule on the AFLW website, it would appear our fixture against Brisbane has been replaced with a home game against the Bulldogs. That's a definite win for us considering the Bulldogs are yet to win a game this year and have had major disruptions due to Covid protocols.

It looks like we're going to host Richmond at Metricon next Friday night and I don't mind that fixture to be honest. Richmond appear to be a mid ladder/5th-10th type of team this year and we have a great opportunity to make a statement by beating them at home next week which should consolidate a spot in the top 6.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed about the QClash not going ahead this Saturday night but you can choose to look at this as a positive or a negative for our girls. Some of our players likely won't play/train again until late next week at the earliest and that obviously causes some issues and we potentially lose some of the momentum we gained last week. We will also likely have to make up for the game mid-week at some point over the next month so that's the negative way of looking at it. The positive way of looking at it would be that the girls had to travel to Mackay in week 1 and Melbourne in week 2 so having a rest after two weeks on the road will probably do their bodies a world of good considering how young our list is. We also avoid playing the defending premiers until later in the season (if at all) and that can definitely be seen as a positive. There is also the possibility that Jacqui Yorston will be available to play next week and that helps cover the loss of Ellie Hampson for her one game suspension.

According to the current schedule on the AFLW website, it would appear our fixture against Brisbane has been replaced with a home game against the Bulldogs. That's a definite win for us considering the Bulldogs are yet to win a game this year and have had major disruptions due to Covid protocols.

It looks like we're going to host Richmond at Metricon next Friday night and I don't mind that fixture to be honest. Richmond appear to be a mid ladder/5th-10th type of team this year and we have a great opportunity to make a statement by beating them at home next week which should consolidate a spot in the top 6.
I doubt we will be playing Friday night. I think the game might be pushed back to Sunday

why make a new thread when we can use the old?
Same teams but very different understanding of what either club is capable of this season. Brisbane haven't really lived up to their lofty standards this season (losing Lutkins really hurt them) with a near loss to Geelong at home two weeks ago and a belting at the hands of the Crows potentially exposing the Lions. They looked solid last week in their win over Collingwood but an away game in Melbourne tomorrow followed by a four day break before they face us at Metricon isn't exactly an ideal scenario for the Lions. We couldn't really ask for much more to be going our way leading into this one.

Farquharson will miss (illness) for them tomorrow so I guess there's the possibility that she will still be unavailable in four days from now. We should get Kindy back which is obviously a big in for us. I don't believe anyone got injured last night so we should be just about full strength minus Pregelj.

Same teams but very different understanding of what either club is capable of this season. Brisbane haven't really lived up to their lofty standards this season (losing Lutkins really hurt them) with a near loss to Geelong at home two weeks ago and a belting at the hands of the Crows potentially exposing the Lions. They looked solid last week in their win over Collingwood but an away game in Melbourne tomorrow followed by a four day break before they face us at Metricon isn't exactly an ideal scenario for the Lions. We couldn't really ask for much more to be going our way leading into this one.

Farquharson will miss (illness) for them tomorrow so I guess there's the possibility that she will still be unavailable in four days from now. We should get Kindy back which is obviously a big in for us. I don't believe anyone got injured last night so we should be just about full strength minus Pregelj.
Yep, last night was our first prime time win for the girls, we have a chance to go back to back. The Lions still need to travel back to QLD from tomorrows match. Although they should beat St Kilda tomorrow they are at a disadvantage having to play so many games within a short period. We have the beauty of a six day break not having to leave the Coast. Following the game on Thursday we will then have a short break but still will have a days rest on top of the dogs and don't need to travel again. These pieces are really falling into place, aren't they?

So I've re-discovered that Brisbane really don't like us when we're up and about and really don't think we have a snowballs chance in hell of getting the dub.

By rights, as reigning champs they shouldnt, I watched them first hand rip apart what's supposed to be a pretty good Collingwood side.

That said, They are banged up and they will be coming off a short week and we are coming into this with a fair bit of momentum... Who's to say we can't give them a fair shake of the sauce bottle?

On any given Sunday right?

Kalinda Howarth in. Shannon Danckert out.

Zimmorlei Farquharson & Shannon Campbell in. Dakota Davidson & Sharni Webb out.

Kindy is clearly a big in for us but so is Farquharson for the Lions. Having said that, losing Dakota Davidson is a big out for them and I remember her kicking four on us in the QClash last year so I'm sure the backline will be relieved she's not playing. Ahrens obviously goes to Wardlaw and I guess a few of the girls like Dupuy, Howarth and Keaney will likely rotate on Farquharson.

The midfield battle will be fascinating - Drennan, Rowbottom, Stanton, Hampson, Yorston & Whitfort vs Anderson, Bates, Conway, Svarc, O'Dwyer & Dawes.

I am so excited for tonights Q-Clash. It has got to be the most exciting and mouthwatering Q-Clash of all time (men or women). It will be tight and a tough game by both teams. I am confident that we can get over the line though. We have so much belief at the moment. Even if we do fall short, it will be much closer than Round 2 2021 and I am confident the girls will show the fight like they did against Melbourne if we were to go down. go girls!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back