Preview AFLW Round 3 v Brisbane (Q-Clash W) at Metricon, Thursday 17/02/22 6:40pm local

Remove this Banner Ad

Here we go! This is the biggest opportunity our girls have had since our round 6 2020 game against West Coast that secured a finals position. Brisbane are going to tire as the match wears on so watch for our girls to really ramp things up in the third and fourth quarters.

A win by 12+ points and we move up to 6th. A win by 18+ points and we move up to 5th.

Perhaps more importantly, every punter will take our girls seriously if they win tonight and we'll be well on our way to the finals. Let's not forget, the following two games after tonight are very winnable so a win here and we're very likely to go on a good run that should secure a finals position.

Let's go!

Brisbane can kick the worst kick in the world and it will still go to a player. One of those nights—a class above.

Suns have no structure going forward and getting pumped in the middle.

Where are those two optimists? :grinv1:

Time to erase the game from memory.

The most puzzling was that Suns looked so flat, no energy, no work rate, like Suns were coming from 4 days break and not Lions. Running out the games strongly was one of Suns better features until tonight.

Lions looked turbocharged.

The game again reminded me that Suns make a stupid mistake by getting rid of Taylor Smith.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the simpsons paddle GIF

Nothing else to say

Too experienced. Too strong. Too skilful. Just way too good for us tonight.

That was obviously Brisbane's best performance of this season to date. They gave our girls absolutely no space or time with the footy for close to four quarters. I'm very confident in saying no team in the AFLW could beat the Brisbane team we saw tonight. It was suffocating and we had no answer for it.

Fair play to the Lions. They came off a short break and completely dominated. A big lesson for our girls tonight and they need to quickly regroup for the Bulldogs game on Tuesday night to keep the season alive. Collingwood will likely lose to North Melbourne on Sunday afternoon and that will open the door again for our girls to equal them on the ladder for 6th position.

Where are those two optimists? :grinv1:
I was at the game. Only just got home. Willing to put my hand up and say I was way off with my prediction of it being a close game tonight.

This game probably rules out finals. Cut a lot of percentage.
Too early to make that call. We're only one win behind Collingwood and are still due to play the Pies in round 10. Collingwood face North (4th), Bulldogs (just beat Adelaide), Adelaide (2nd) and then us. We face Bulldogs, St Kilda (14th), Carlton (13th) and then Collingwood. We have the better run home.

We were just not good enough tonight. Really our only bad performance all season. Lions turned it on when it counted and played their best game of the season vs our worst game!

We gave up too many easy goals and could not mark the ball! Our inside 50 count was not good enough tbf. Lions handled the dew well, we didn't and it is our home ground!! Sad that our percentage took a hit tonight, we will need to work hard to regain some of that.

Lots of learnings tonight and I am confident Joyce will use this game to show the girls that yes we did have momentum but it isn't going to happen automatically, we need to work hard and gain respect again. I am then confident the girls will do that starting Tuesday night against the dogs. There will be a lot of disappointed girls tonight who will be eager to get back out there and show the AFLW world the way we really can and should be playing! Maybe playing in a short turnaround isn't a bad thing?

It is okay though, we are not out of it, we have the Dogs on Tuesday then face St Kilda and Carlton who are below us on the ladder. A chance to get our season back on track.

Too early to make that call. We're only one win behind Collingwood and are still due to play the Pies in round 10. Collingwood face North (4th), Bulldogs (just beat Adelaide), Adelaide (2nd) and then us. We face Bulldogs, St Kilda (14th), Carlton (13th) and then Collingwood. We have the better run home.
Very true. North/dogs should tell the story where pies will land.
But you also have the dogs on your heels by 1 game. You'd basically have to win the remaining games. Dogs have cats, pies, eagles.

Haha wow.
Just read through this thread start to finish and then checked the scores.
Literally like a roller coaster that ended up derailing.

Saad was awful in defence last match so frustrating that she was poor again.

Disappointing to read about Gold Coast local Taylor smith playing well against us.

Heads up girls, next game will show is what you’re made of.

Haha wow.
Just read through this thread start to finish and then checked the scores.
Literally like a roller coaster that ended up derailing.

Saad was awful in defence last match so frustrating that she was poor again.

Disappointing to read about Gold Coast local Taylor smith playing well against us.

Heads up girls, next game will show is what you’re made of.
I never get why Joyce plays her down back. She is no good and that’s the most pressure point in the ground where you cannot make mistakes because if you do they are very costly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back