Preview AFLW Round 4 v Richmond at Metricon, Sunday 30/01/22 4:10pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Finally stupid commentators mentioned that Pregelj is injured, she was injured for the most of 2nd qtr.

Looked gassed there. Falling into backs, inability to chain possession. Not a lot of team play.

Happy if we keep it close.

The second quarter is clearly how we want to play, so it's nice to get a lens into that.

Single is a weird one. Looks like a stellar play on the outside but just cannot impact, even when she gets into space. Normally results in a turnover after trying to do too much.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gutsy win. Should have won by a lot more, but gotta take it.

So glad we brought Yorston in. You forget how good she is. Even after 600 days out, proved to be a real difference maker.

Rowbottom looked like she had a bad cork which explains her down game today. Can barely walk out there.

Hampson comes in next week after her suspension, but we lose a pretty big name with our best KPD going down. :(

Great effort. Girls dominated the last qtr despite one player down and HS protocols. Missed a lot of opportunities, more than double inside 50, Tigers scored 3 goals from bad turnovers. Thoroughly deserved win. Happy.

Definitely improvement over last season. Whats the difference? New coach? Players? players have matured physically?
Main improvement I see is significantly more midfield power. Last year we had Stanton for a bit of the year and then we fell away. This year we've added Whitfort, Drennan, Rowbottom and got back Yorston & Hampson. With that strength inside it lets us keep a better shape around the ball. We still lack a bit of outside polish, but our ability to at least get hands on it now at least prevents the oppo from immediately streaming forward.

We also have a forward line that is now a bit more threatening. We're kicking scores now. Had we kicked even a bit straighter that'd be two games scoring 40+. That helps give everyone confidence, I suppose. I'm not even sure we kicked 40 points total for the entirety of last season.

There's cracks of a gameplan with some overlap run that I can see, but by and large I don't think a great deal has changed there. A lot is still based on inside pressure work. Difference is now our mids can get to more contests.

Our back six have always been strong. We just conceded an insane amount of inside 50s.

Freo, Brisbane, North, Adelaide and Melbourne will still annihilate us IMO. The skills of those teams are just far ahead of ours. But for the first time we can at least see improvement, so that's nice.

Last edited:
Main improvement I see is significantly more midfield power. Last year we had Stanton for a bit of the year and then we fell away. This year we've added Whitfort, Drennan, Rowbottom and got back Yorston & Hampson. With that strength inside it lets us keep a better shape around the ball. We still lack a bit of outside polish, but our ability to at least get hands on it now at least prevents the oppo from immediately streaming forward.

We also have a forward line that is now a bit more threatening. We're kicking scores now. Had we kicked even a bit straighter that'd be two games scoring 40+. That helps give everyone confidence, I suppose. I'm not even sure we kicked 40 points total for the entirety of last season.

There's cracks of a gameplan with some overlap run that I can see, but by and large I don't think a great deal has changed there. A lot is still based on inside pressure work. Difference is now our mids can get to more contests.

Our back six have always been strong. We just conceded an insane amount of inside 50s.

Freo, Brisbane, North, Adelaide and Melbourne will still annihilate us IMO. The skills of those teams are just far ahead of ours. But for the first time we can at least see improvement, so that's nice.
Drennan played last year and was solid.

Yeah those strong teams like Freo, Brisbane, Adelaide and Melbourne have the benefit of playing together since the beginning. North although only in the comp since 2019 has strong experienced senior players vs us who went for young players with a strong emphasis on culture. It is paying off though.

Drennan played last year and was solid.

Yeah those strong teams like Freo, Brisbane, Adelaide and Melbourne have the benefit of playing together since the beginning. North although only in the comp since 2019 has strong experienced senior players vs us who went for young players with a strong emphasis on culture. It is paying off though.
Yep, good point.

Oh, man. You're optimistic again. Richmond played a decent footy so far. I hope you're right.
Never in doubt ;)

Great win for the girls. Things didn't go their way in the third quarter but they dug in and found a way to win in the fourth quarter. Back-to-back games where they have come from behind in the fourth quarter to win it. These girls have some serious resolve to pull off multiple come from behind wins this season already. Doubt them at your own peril!

Rowbottom looked like she had a bad cork which explains her down game today. Can barely walk out there.

Hampson comes in next week after her suspension, but we lose a pretty big name with our best KPD going down. :(
Saw Rowbottom after the game and she was definitely limping so I'd say you're probably right about it being a bad cork. Also saw Pregelj after the game as well and she appeared to be moving around just fine with the ice strapped around her knee. Hard to tell how serious her injury is based on what I saw but perhaps it's not that serious given the way she was moving after the game. Here's hoping!

Getting Hampson back next week will be really interesting because we'll have three legitimate inside bulls in Rowbottom, Yorston and Hampson all playing together. FWIW I thought Yorston played well in her return (16 disposals, 2 tackles) after a long time between drinks.

Luckily for us, we aren't scheduled to play Freo, North, Adelaide or Brisbane (yet) this season. Melbourne next week should be a good indicator of how close we truly are to the top 4. Win that one and people will start taking our girls seriously.

There seems to be more of a structure in place and the players know their role.. last year the messaging was all over the place players weren’t sure whether to defend or attack skills were below average and no real hunger

The new coach seems to have a good and direct coaching plan and style and knows what he wants from each player and doesn’t deviate away from it

The more games some of the players like single Heslop Darcy play the better they get even Hammond seems to be improving

Yorsten is a very good player and the team is much better with her in it even if not 100%

There seems to be more of a structure in place and the players know their role.. last year the messaging was all over the place players weren’t sure whether to defend or attack skills were below average and no real hunger.

The new coach seems to have a good and direct coaching plan and style and knows what he wants from each player and doesn’t deviate away from it.
This is what Surman said during the week "The change in the culture, and the shift in the coach (Cameron Joyce), being a little more authoritative, is super important for our playing group." So perhaps David Lake was a little guilty of trying to befriend the girls too much when what they really needed was to be told what to do because most of our group is young and/or inexperienced. Obviously Cameron Joyce is doing something right to get these kinds of performances from the girls.

The new
There seems to be more of a structure in place and the players know their role.. last year the messaging was all over the place players weren’t sure whether to defend or attack skills were below average and no real hunger

The new coach seems to have a good and direct coaching plan and style and knows what he wants from each player and doesn’t deviate away from it

The more games some of the players like single Heslop Darcy play the better they get even Hammond seems to be improving

Yorsten is a very good player and the team is much better with her in it even if not 100%
The new coach is working real good. Coming from coaching underage and young players, he knows how to work with and understand our youth

Remove this Banner Ad

Back