The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
This is what Surman said during the week "The change in the culture, and the shift in the coach (Cameron Joyce), being a little more authoritative, is super important for our playing group." So perhaps David Lake was a little guilty of trying to befriend the girls too much when what they really needed was to be told what to do because most of our group is young and/or inexperienced. Obviously Cameron Joyce is doing something right to get these kinds of performances from the girls.
Yeah you need a balance but the coach needs to have good relationships with the players then the players too need to know what is expected of them.

Jen2310

Spec Moderator
Aug 21, 2018
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Main improvement I see is significantly more midfield power. Last year we had Stanton for a bit of the year and then we fell away. This year we've added Whitfort, Drennan, Rowbottom and got back Yorston & Hampson. With that strength inside it lets us keep a better shape around the ball. We still lack a bit of outside polish, but our ability to at least get hands on it now at least prevents the oppo from immediately streaming forward.

We also have a forward line that is now a bit more threatening. We're kicking scores now. Had we kicked even a bit straighter that'd be two games scoring 40+. That helps give everyone confidence, I suppose. I'm not even sure we kicked 40 points total for the entirety of last season.

There's cracks of a gameplan with some overlap run that I can see, but by and large I don't think a great deal has changed there. A lot is still based on inside pressure work. Difference is now our mids can get to more contests.

Our back six have always been strong. We just conceded an insane amount of inside 50s.

Freo, Brisbane, North, Adelaide and Melbourne will still annihilate us IMO. The skills of those teams are just far ahead of ours. But for the first time we can at least see improvement, so that's nice.
Its a step forward at least. Year 3 in the comp, can't expect miracles. Brisbane, Freo, Melb have been here from the beginning, so prob no surprised their skills would be more advanced. It just takes time, patience and development.

Whats the acceptable win result for the season? I'd say at least half the season? so 5 wins should be the starting point. Already on 2. Anything more would be a bonus.

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
Its a step forward at least. Year 3 in the comp, can't expect miracles. Brisbane, Freo, Melb have been here from the beginning, so prob no surprised their skills would be more advanced. It just takes time, patience and development.

Whats the acceptable win result for the season? I'd say at least half the season? so 5 wins should be the starting point. Already on 2. Anything more would be a bonus.
Last year in a 9 game season 6 wins was enough to make finals. So, with an extra game this season, we should be aiming for 6-7. Win the games we should win and we are right in it.

Melbourne (50/50)
Geelong (W)
Western Bulldogs (W)
St Kilda (W)
Carlton (W)
Collingwood (L)
Brisbane?? (50/50)

Spud also said to us post game she wishes they could replay the Giants game because they learnt so much from that and reckon the result would be different if they played again now!

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad