Game Day AFLW Round 4 vs Collingwood at Victoria Park, 2:40pm AWST

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, I agree. I guess that's the only benchmark they have at present though?

Agreed, I think they shouldn't make the comparison. Make it against the other women in the league. It is quite a different game, with significant rule and skill level differences.

Bowers is a gun though and love that she is one of ours.

So far the emergence of Tighe, fitness of E Antonio and improvement of Miller has seen us improve as a team. Another continual improver is Strom. Leads the league in hit outs and is moving well. She seems to be growing more and more into her height from a coordination pov. At 20? she will be bloody good over the next ten years if we can keep her that long.

Great presser from Trent. Really informative, getting into some details about the behind the scenes stuff as well as insight into approach to the game. Probably helps he got asked some decent questions, but it was nice to see a coach answering them without much inhibition for once.

I finally renewed my subscription to watchafl, so this was the FIRST game I was able to see in it's entirety. Here are some random thoughts and musings from this game.

• My buddy Miller is a full on beast. She leads from the front and seems to have embraced the captain's role. I think she could take the game on more instead of just booting it forward at times, but gosh, she is really taken a step forward from last year.
  • Gaby in the midfield seems to have worked. She's always around the ball and her pressure is top notch.
  • Speaking of presure, holy crap, these girls are relentless. It must be exhausting to play against them. They just keep coming and coming and coming. Over 17 holding the ball penalties against the Pies. Got to be a world record.
  • I'd like to see a bit more kick to space going i50. Sometimes the delivery was too high and floaty which gives the defenders time to get under it. But, their pressure is soooo strong that even if the ball isn't marked they lock it i50 for ages.
  • The structure behind the ball seems solid. The defense was very rarely caught off guard when a ball was kicked to space. They always had a man ready to hunt the ball and a supporting player to handball to. Overall, their structure and awareness seems improved from last year.
  • Can Turbo get any better? Can we please name the best and fairest medal (brownlow who?) or the Derby medal after her? C'mon. So humble but a true warrior.
  • Great interview with Ebony Antonio at half time. Great head on her shoulders and clearly loves the club. She was big in this game.
  • Kara Antonio looked a bit slow out there at times, but she still has a great intensity and applied some great pressure inside 50.
  • Love the flip at the end by O'driscol. Great way to celebrate.
  • Seriously, the girls sing the song 100 times better than the men. They guys half-ass it, but the girls are full of piss and vinegar and pride for the club. JL should play this for the guys and tell them to step their game. lol.

Great to watch them again and I look forward to watching them next week. Here they are away from home for weeks upon weeks. They don't complain and they go on like it's no big deal. They are laser focused on winning and clearly they are a close knit group. I know it's only my first game I saw, but they should be playing on grand final day.

• Seriously, the girls sing the song 100 times better than the men. They guys half-ass it, but the girls are full of piss and vinegar and pride for the club. JL should play this for the guys and tell them to step their game. lol.
100% spot on! Was a talking point in this household. Don't know how, but the girls make it sound cool. I think they added a verse from the full song and then launch into the bit that the boys sing. They do it so fast, and it just has some rhythm and genuine pride. Sounds great when they sing it! Not even taking the piss, he he.

Having seen what the Scorchers have just done and seeing what the girls are doing, is there an argument that the shared adversity of being in a perpetual bubble has galvanised them and actually been beneficial to their performance in terms of comraderie, chemistry (especially on-field) and time spent working on the next game?

The latter point I'm thinking that the group will spend more downtime together than they will at home so issues or plans would invariably be attacked more intensively and possibly from more angles (wider group input). Thoughts?

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Having seen what the Scorchers have just done and seeing what the girls are doing, is there an argument that the shared adversity of being in a perpetual bubble has galvanised them and actually been beneficial to their performance in terms of comraderie, chemistry (especially on-field) and time spent working on the next game?

The latter point I'm thinking that the group will spend more downtime together than they will at home so issues or plans would invariably be attacked more intensively and possibly from more angles (wider group input). Thoughts?

Well they certainly get to train more with better recovery not having to work 8 hours a day 5 days a week on top of playing footy.

Yes. And that was certainly our experience when last hubbing.

Well they certainly get to train more with better recovery not having to work 8 hours a day 5 days a week on top of playing footy.
Going off topic a bit.

I know its expensive exercise but the AFL paid full time wages to the women then the standards would increase like what you are saying.

My believe that is the AFL did that they would total dominate female sport and the Northern states would convert to AFL.

100% spot on! Was a talking point in this household. Don't know how, but the girls make it sound cool. I think they added a verse from the full song and then launch into the bit that the boys sing. They do it so fast, and it just has some rhythm and genuine pride. Sounds great when they sing it! Not even taking the piss, he he.

Miller and Drisco have been talking about it on their pod for the past couple weeks. The girls actually practiced singing the verse in the changing rooms a few times before debuting it on the field. How cool is that?

PS if you haven’t listened to the pod, you should do it. It’s so funny and entertaining. The girls clearly have some great chemistry together.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's a lot to be said for the continuity that brings. Imagine playing 70% of your games at the same ground every year, with finals there too.

Going off topic a bit.

I know its expensive exercise but the AFL paid full time wages to the women then the standards would increase like what you are saying.

My believe that is the AFL did that they would total dominate female sport and the Northern states would convert to AFL.
To be fair it would probably cost less than the Suns! ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back