Game Day AFLW Round 4 vs Melbourne - Casey Fields, 4:05pm Sun

Remove this Banner Ad

Just got home after the game, some observations...

The umpiring didn't seem that bad at the ground, Melb got the better of it early and it may have evened up. Kearney seems to have a different set of rules to everyone else, she receives none of the free kicks that are handed out to most of the other girls.

Kashy seemed to have a player sticking to her, in the last quarter she was playing out of the goal square. I think she has been identified as a crucial link transitioning through the middle and we missed her influence.

I know the game plan is to control the outside but Melbourne won the ball and got it out to their players, we really need another contested all winner. We miss Riddell badly.

Our forward line is too short without Munn in the line up. Mo and Abba had good games but when Emma King isn't up forward the Demons seemed too big and had everything covered pretty well.

Duffin is an out and out star.

It was a pretty good turn out and there was plenty of things going on, the location sucks but it's a nice playing surface.

Our skills kept us in the game, there's some pretty nice users of the ball and they showed a lot of heart to hang on and win.

Tight game, could have gone either way and both defences were outstanding but they really didn’t have anyone to legally combat King from the start and it made a difference.

Duffin is wonderful. I had no idea how good she would be for us.

And Mo’s post game interview - beautiful. These women have something really special happening.

Jess Duffin is comfortably the best player in the whole competition. It's not even a close thing. Some other players might have a flashy game or two, but Duffin is outstanding every week.

Just got home after the game, some observations...

The umpiring didn't seem that bad at the ground, Melb got the better of it early and it may have evened up. Kearney seems to have a different set of rules to everyone else, she receives none of the free kicks that are handed out to most of the other girls.

Yeah I noticed that, people can get in her back and she gets done for holding the ball after having 0.5 seconds to dispose of it

Last edited:
Jess Duffin is comfortably the best player in the whole competition. It's not even a close thing. Some other players might have a flashy game or two, but Duffin is outstanding every week.

You wouldn't trade Duffin for Erin Phillips? This statement wouldn't quite have the Pendlebury vs Urquhart standard but it would be a huge call.

You wouldn't trade Duffin for Erin Phillips? This statement wouldn't quite have the Pendlebury vs Urquhart standard but it would be a huge call.

You should go back to verbose posts. When you are brief, there is no camouflage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sissy Rose, my little Dachsador
sissy-in-jumper-1-jpg.611958

barks the following:

Dunno about the best in the comp, but easily the best defender. She's in that top five elite bracket though.

How many times she's just in the right position to stand under a high ball and take the intercept mark.

I wouldn't trade Duffin for Philips. And it isn't even close to Super Gav v Overratedblebury.

Would you trade Robbie Tarrant for Patrick Dangerfield?

In DreamTeam maybe, but IRL, nah, I'd keep Taz.

One of my fave bits was when Mo was lining up for her 2nd goal, from about ? 35-40m out, slight angle, the commentator said "she will definitely pass this off, hasn't got the penetration in her kicking", of course she went back and sent it straight over the goal umpires head for a snag, such bitter tears in the box :)

I think the heat got to the commentators as well.

I couldn't stop laughing when that Melb player tried to take a shot at goal from the pocket, completely shanked it and the ball floated to the other pocket

Then I hear: "She passes it off to her team mate"

Sure we can turn a blind eye to some skill errors until they get better but really Kate? really?

I wouldn't trade Duffin for Philips. And it isn't even close to Super Gav v Overratedblebury.

Would you trade Robbie Tarrant for Patrick Dangerfield?

In DreamTeam maybe, but IRL, nah, I'd keep Taz.

In a heartbeat. Not that I dislike Taz, I just feel it is relatively simple to train competent defenders, for example, Daw became our best 1-on-1 defender over one pre-season having never played as a defender previously. I seriously think that is what we should be doing with our US talent scouting, someone like the Beast who was 198cm, had explosive take off speed, a huge vertical leap, etc. These are great attributes for key defenders. Ruck and Forward require a lot of endurance and the ability to read the play and know where to run to, this was Daw's major problem with the roles he was given up the ground.

At the end of the day you just need defenders that are able to compete and get a fist there to the high ball coming in. What Dangerfield has is something you can't teach players, same as Pendlebury. If you could, clubs would have a long time ago. I think Danger turns the ball over a bit too much but he is a massively damaging player, he does what Higgins does for us but has a lot more impact on the inside of stoppages and does more scoreboard damage.

Imagine having two Higgins out there, that would be insane. I think it is great that we love our players and support them, but we can get a bit silly with the one-eyed view of things.

In a heartbeat. Not that I dislike Taz, I just feel it is relatively simple to train competent defenders, for example, Daw became our best 1-on-1 defender over one pre-season having never played as a defender previously. I seriously think that is what we should be doing with our US talent scouting, someone like the Beast who was 198cm, had explosive take off speed, a huge vertical leap, etc. These are great attributes for key defenders. Ruck and Forward require a lot of endurance and the ability to read the play and know where to run to, this was Daw's major problem with the roles he was given up the ground.

At the end of the day you just need defenders that are able to compete and get a fist there to the high ball coming in. What Dangerfield has is something you can't teach players, same as Pendlebury. If you could, clubs would have a long time ago. I think Danger turns the ball over a bit too much but he is a massively damaging player, he does what Higgins does for us but has a lot more impact on the inside of stoppages and does more scoreboard damage.

Imagine having two Higgins out there, that would be insane. I think it is great that we love our players and support them, but we can get a bit silly with the one-eyed view of things.

Oh jeez wow.

If being a gun defender was simply just "punch it away", then goals would never get kicked.

Majak wasn't at any point our best one on one defender. Taz and Scooter well ahead of him there. Majak's athleticism is what made him.

Taz is the captain of the backline, he makes great decisions, he holds it together. IMO it is easier to get another burst player than another bloke of that size and smarts.

We kicked three goals from free kicks that were all 50-50 at best. Very lucky.

I’ve watched all the supposedly “controversial” decisions again. In my view, they were all correct. Week in, week out, we would complain if BBB did not get the frees that King got in the game. Melbourne clearly struggled with getting a match-up for her height advantage and were forced to hold her and push her. That’s very much an integral part of the game. That’s why Emma is positioned there. The last “controversial” call against Melbourne was in the dying seconds when one of there player’s clearly dragged the ball in as she fell to the ground. This rule was umpired consistently throughout the game. Mo Hope was penalised a bit earlier in the fourth quarter for the exact same thing. Again, part of the game (personally, I don’t like that rule, but it’s there for a reason. If you want real controversial decisions, look no further than when Garner(I think) pushed someone in the side and was storming into the fifty with the wind on her back. She was pulled up for a push in the back. What was that about? Also, how about the mysterious “falcon” free that happened in the third, once again when we were going inside 50. Swings and roundabouts, I say. All up, a very well deserved win by NM against the odds, given it was a must win game for the Dees and the constant traveling we’ve endured. No one would argue that the hot temperature favoured the Dees as well - that can’t be proved of course, but it was mentioned during the telecast as an advantage for Melbourne going into the last quarter.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back