Game Day AFLW Round 4 vs Melbourne - Casey Fields, 4:05pm Sun

Remove this Banner Ad

Now I am not one to normally complain about stuff like this but I did think it was a bit s**t that the MFC staff were only giving their free ice cream coupons to Melbourne supporters. Now I didn't want the ice cream, but my 2 kids would have been bloody wrapped to have one on the stinking hot day.

I think the best team lost they have a lot of girls with really good handballing skills who think fast & l think North have top end talent but more of our girls are not at that level & are reactionary. So many occasions our girls would take a mark & not realise they were 30 metres free to wheel & go.

We were constantly outnumbered & killed at stoppages. I think they would be very confident playing against North again we need to keep our best girls available & get back Riddell & Bresnehan back more 1 touch players are vital in women's footy. It will depend greatly on how much teams are affected by injuries between now & then but l think Melb will be confident if they have to play North again. I also expect North coaches to review this game & put some structure in place around this if they do play again.

I agree with a previous post that Emma Kearney should have got some in the back calls. Little Emma Humphries doesn't get many mentions l love the way she gathers & runs directly at the goal she really penetrates the game when she gets it.

North girls did well to hang on & win its a very good backline. Well done girls....

I think the best team lost they have a lot of girls with really good handballing skills who think fast & l think North have top end talent but more of our girls are not at that level & are reactionary. So many occasions our girls would take a mark & not realise they were 30 metres free to wheel & go.

We were constantly outnumbered & killed at stoppages. I think they would be very confident playing against North again we need to keep our best girls available & get back Riddell & Bresnehan back more 1 touch players are vital in women's footy. It will depend greatly on how much teams are affected by injuries between now & then but l think Melb will be confident if they have to play North again. I also expect North coaches to review this game & put some structure in place around this if they do play again.

I agree with a previous post that Emma Kearney should have got some in the back calls. Little Emma Humphries doesn't get many mentions l love the way she gathers & runs directly at the goal she really penetrates the game when she gets it.

North girls did well to hang on & win its a very good backline. Well done girls....

Time will tell, of course. However, the narrative I’m happy to run with is the following:-

Melbourne set themselves up for this game, as it was, more ore less, a must win game for them.

North were due a loss after three “easy” victories.

North still managed a gutsy win, with good players to come back in.

North survived and will learn a lot about what their Plan B will look like.

As I said, time will tell...

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Oh jeez wow.

If being a gun defender was simply just "punch it away", then goals would never get kicked.

Majak wasn't at any point our best one on one defender. Taz and Scooter well ahead of him there. Majak's athleticism is what made him.

Taz is the captain of the backline, he makes great decisions, he holds it together. IMO it is easier to get another burst player than another bloke of that size and smarts.

Yeah, Danger is no ordinary burst player. Give me Danger any time.

Yeah, Danger is no ordinary burst player. Give me Danger any time.

Do not get me wrong, I would have Philips or Danger at North any day. But I wouldn't trade Duffin or Tarrant for them.

The more apt comparison would be Duffin vs Chelsea Randall, who we will see in full flight (almost literally) at Werribee. At least they default to essentially the same role, but still very different styles.

Regarding Melbourne, it was a loss that is becoming rather typical of their women's team (if not the umpires getting in the way, it would've been something else). Imo they played the best football across the first two AFLW seasons, with not even a grand final appearance to show for it because of silly but costly mistakes.

Our girls were definitely out on their feet in the last quarter, yet the Dees kept on trying to barge their way through the congested side of the ground, happy days for us. You leave your life in the hands of the crappy umps if you play that conservative 5-goal style of football.

Do not get me wrong, I would have Philips or Danger at North any day. But I wouldn't trade Duffin or Tarrant for them.

It would be with a heavy heart. However, if we were offered a straight swap of Tarrant for Dangerfield, young children would lose their lives in the stampede. Duffin, on the other hand - never. She’s monumental.

It would be with a heavy heart. However, if we were offered a straight swap of Tarrant for Dangerfield, young children would lose their lives in the stampede. Duffin, on the other hand - never. She’s monumental.

On reflection, Robbie is far better looking and a good guy. So, on balance, maybe not...

A couple more things...

Melbourne smothered a hell of a lot of our kicks. I suspect there’s multiple reasons. I think in many teams the girls may not go as hard at smothering, Melbourne has probably trained the skill specifically a bit more.

I also think that the girls need to maybe get slightly further back on the mark. It might be against instinct when you don’t kick so far. Also I suspect the umpires aren’t keeping as good an eye on the player on the mark and they come over at the last second. This is something that has been creeping into the men’s game too IMO over the last couple of years.

We really need to work on our handballs. Too often they lack power and are not to the advantage of the intended player, either not reaching them or not out in front. It means the receiver has to stop and prop and kills the good play.

Another skill that needs a bit of work is the kicking under pressure. I love what Kashy brings but she butchers a couple of kicks each week.

Jamie Stanton too is like watching Adam Simpson, she gets good distance but seems to slam it forward without looking. In the girls game it’s not the worst thing as often marks are dropped and it’s a bit of a chaos situation but it could be to our players advantage. She is an awesome player though, very consistent and should get more votes than she does.

Allie Drennan is another who slips under the radar. Watching on TV the fist couple of weeks I didn’t think she did that much but at the ground her attack on the player and the ball was fierce.

The ground on Sunday was stinking hot, im not surprised the girls looked pretty shot towards the end of the game. I look forward to this week it’ll be a tough test against quality opponents.

In the girls game it’s not the worst thing as often marks are dropped and it’s a bit of a chaos situation
And now less and less marks are being dropped by defenders so its slowly just becoming a sure turnover.

Now I am not one to normally complain about stuff like this but I did think it was a bit s**t that the MFC staff were only giving their free ice cream coupons to Melbourne supporters. Now I didn't want the ice cream, but my 2 kids would have been bloody wrapped to have one on the stinking hot day.
They are such a s**t stain of a club.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Watched the replay - frees were there, and I thought (yes, biased) that we were unlucky not to get a few more across HTB, throws, and holds of players without the ball. Nothing to write home about either way even if the frees generally favoured is late (so more noteworthy) and them early.

Overall Melbourne looked sharper at and around the contest than North did. Took a lot of sterling defensive work to get that win.

The differences were Emma King and straighter kicking at goal. They really should have won it but they didn’t and kicking accurately when you make chances is a big part of the game.

That ice cream story is appalling. It was really hot, how could you not give kids the cold treat, whatever they were wearing?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My votes

3. Jess Duffin
2. Jamie Stanton
1. Mo Hope

One of King or Kearney could easily have snagged the 3rd vote but wanted to acknowledge Hope's best game for the season. The two set shots were stone cold and that one-handed contested mark followed by the baulk was vote-worthy on its own.

Watched the replay - frees were there, and I thought (yes, biased) that we were unlucky not to get a few more across HTB, throws, and holds of players without the ball. Nothing to write home about either way even if the frees generally favoured is late (so more noteworthy) and them early.

Overall Melbourne looked sharper at and around the contest than North did. Took a lot of sterling defensive work to get that win.

The differences were Emma King and straighter kicking at goal. They really should have won it but they didn’t and kicking accurately when you make chances is a big part of the game.

That ice cream story is appalling. It was really hot, how could you not give kids the cold treat, whatever they were wearing?
I can understand Melbourne being upset about the last one to King. I don't reckon there was much of a forceful push but she did let her hands go forward in a pushing motion so only herself to blame. The changes to hands-in-the-back will be the worst of this year's rule changes. It's gone from clear cut and easy to interpret to one big grey area.

The throw that led to Hope's first goal wasn't clear on the replay but the Melbourne players didn't get that worked up. The holding frees to Abba and King were clear as day.

After watching the replay, the thing that struck me about the claims that "the best team lost" is that Melbourne led for just 30 seconds across the first three quarters and were behind at every change. They got their noses in front in the last quarter and held the lead for about 3 minutes. But that is it. You don't win too many games when you are unable to kick more goals than the other team.

As for the free kicks, I'll concede that the deliberate out of bounds late in the game was not there. But then when our player took a shot on goal and kick out on the full, the ball never re-ented the field of play. So that should be a boundary throw-in, not a free kick to Melbourne. We were robbed again.

AFL Women’s: Premiership favourites North Melbourne remain undefeated thanks to dominated performance by Emma King
Women's AFL

• February 24, 2019 6:11pm
  • by Staff writers
  • Source: FOX SPORTS
fb519a2ec01a1e2cde4716dbf039d9ea
Emma King of the Kangaroos celebrates in Round 4.Source: Getty Images
Move over Wayne Carey, there is a new King at Arden Street.
Her name is Emma King.
The 24-year-old dominated on Sunday to help North Melbourne remain undefeated after the first month of the season.
It is North Melbourne and then daylight. Although the Kangaroos didn’t do it easy.
Round 1
Melbourne finished the better of the two teams at Casey Fields, but it was North Melbourne who held on by four points in a thriller to remain the only undefeated side after four rounds.

The Demons are now two games behind the Roos and a game below Adelaide and Fremantle in conference A, with just three rounds to play.

517b6a27ee5bc72333021a5ecf3149e9
Bethany Lynch, sister of Richmonds Tom Lynch during her debut game for the Kangaroos.Source: News Corp Australia
“This will hurt Melbourne,” St Kilda great Leigh Montagna said on Fox Footy.

“They have experienced it in the previous two seasons missing out on percentage. They were so close; so gallant.

“I thought they were terrific today, Melbourne. They put up an excellent fight, but in the end a couple of crucial moments went the Kangaroos way. They couldn’t quite do enough.

“And now, North Melbourne put a couple of lengths on rest of the competition.

“The Dees are going to have their work cut out with three games remaining.”

01c6f884a88bcddc956d4d83373f18e5
Melbournes Kate Hore tackled by Norths Jessica Trend last qtr. Pic: Michael KleinSource: News Corp Australia
Big name recruits King and Moana Hope, who crossed from the Holden Centre to Arden Street last year, stole the show in Cranbourne.

West Australian King slotted three goals and amassed 18 hit-outs, while Hope kicked two goals from 10 touches in one of her best AFLW performances yet.

While for the Demons, two-time All-Australian Karen Paxman continued her brilliant form. This time she collected 25 disposals, including 16 kicks and three tackles.

9e1218d458795bae7a64415d4acb95f5
Karen Paxman gets a handball away on Sunday.Source: AAP
Lily Mithen also put up an impressive fight for Melbourne, finishing with 22 possessions and four tackles of her own.

The Demons now travel to Blacktown to face Greater Western Sydney in a game they need to win to keep their finals hopes alive.

Now that we are over the hump, North Melbourne remains the team to beat in 2019.

AFL Women’s: Premiership favourites North Melbourne remain undefeated thanks to dominated performance by Emma King
Women's AFL

• February 24, 2019 6:11pm
  • by Staff writers
  • Source: FOX SPORTS
fb519a2ec01a1e2cde4716dbf039d9ea
Emma King of the Kangaroos celebrates in Round 4.Source: Getty Images
Move over Wayne Carey, there is a new King at Arden Street.
Her name is Emma King.
The 24-year-old dominated on Sunday to help North Melbourne remain undefeated after the first month of the season.
It is North Melbourne and then daylight. Although the Kangaroos didn’t do it easy.
Round 1
Melbourne finished the better of the two teams at Casey Fields, but it was North Melbourne who held on by four points in a thriller to remain the only undefeated side after four rounds.

The Demons are now two games behind the Roos and a game below Adelaide and Fremantle in conference A, with just three rounds to play.

517b6a27ee5bc72333021a5ecf3149e9
Bethany Lynch, sister of Richmonds Tom Lynch during her debut game for the Kangaroos.Source: News Corp Australia
“This will hurt Melbourne,” St Kilda great Leigh Montagna said on Fox Footy.

“They have experienced it in the previous two seasons missing out on percentage. They were so close; so gallant.

“I thought they were terrific today, Melbourne. They put up an excellent fight, but in the end a couple of crucial moments went the Kangaroos way. They couldn’t quite do enough.

“And now, North Melbourne put a couple of lengths on rest of the competition.

“The Dees are going to have their work cut out with three games remaining.”

01c6f884a88bcddc956d4d83373f18e5
Melbournes Kate Hore tackled by Norths Jessica Trend last qtr. Pic: Michael KleinSource: News Corp Australia
Big name recruits King and Moana Hope, who crossed from the Holden Centre to Arden Street last year, stole the show in Cranbourne.

West Australian King slotted three goals and amassed 18 hit-outs, while Hope kicked two goals from 10 touches in one of her best AFLW performances yet.

While for the Demons, two-time All-Australian Karen Paxman continued her brilliant form. This time she collected 25 disposals, including 16 kicks and three tackles.

9e1218d458795bae7a64415d4acb95f5
Karen Paxman gets a handball away on Sunday.Source: AAP
Lily Mithen also put up an impressive fight for Melbourne, finishing with 22 possessions and four tackles of her own.

The Demons now travel to Blacktown to face Greater Western Sydney in a game they need to win to keep their finals hopes alive.

Now that we are over the hump, North Melbourne remains the team to beat in 2019.
Bloody hell, Karen Paxman, the game is half length so she had the equivalent of a 50-possession match, and didn’t seem to waste many.

There was a comment earlier wondering about vision of North fans clapping a Melbourne goal, but that kind of is the vibe at these games, a lot of good feeling and admiration for all the women out there (which makes the ice cream meanness more appalling).

I can understand Melbourne being upset about the last one to King. I don't reckon there was much of a forceful push but she did let her hands go forward in a pushing motion so only herself to blame. The changes to hands-in-the-back will be the worst of this year's rule changes. It's gone from clear cut and easy to interpret to one big grey area.

The throw that led to Hope's first goal wasn't clear on the replay but the Melbourne players didn't get that worked up. The holding frees to Abba and King were clear as day.

To be fair RZ the girls don't get wound up about any frees l actually find the spirit the girls play with refreshing no gamesmanship throw the ball straight back & get on with it. Sometimes they do that a little to quickly.
From memory We got four goals out of 6 from free kicks so we can't be complaining.
1st Mo - Holding the ball
2nd - Abbottangelo holding in the goal square (obvious free)
3rd - E.King (holding in marking contest)
4th - E.King (push in back)
As much as the first goal to Mo was a throw Katelyn Ashmore had her hand over her shoulder as well. We got all we could out of the umps for mine in the forward half.

After watching the replay, the thing that struck me about the claims that "the best team lost" is that Melbourne led for just 30 seconds across the first three quarters and were behind at every change. They got their noses in front in the last quarter and held the lead for about 3 minutes. But that is it. You don't win too many games when you are unable to kick more goals than the other team.

As for the free kicks, I'll concede that the deliberate out of bounds late in the game was not there. But then when our player took a shot on goal and kick out on the full, the ball never re-ented the field of play. So that should be a boundary throw-in, not a free kick to Melbourne. We were robbed again.

JTT you are talking only about leading on the scoreboard l think most are saying that they played a sharper better brand of footy when l re-watched l was staggered at the continual amount of times they outnumbered us around the scrimmages that is work rate & they move the ball the best by hand of any team l have seen in this comp because of those numbers around the ball. I think we were set up very well behind the ball because they played so many up high around the ball & that really assisted us in defence but I think they were the better team on the day that could not find a way through our defence. Anyway its a mute point that counts for nothing now on to next week.

JTT you are talking only about leading on the scoreboard l think most are saying that they played a sharper better brand of footy when l re-watched l was staggered at the continual amount of times they outnumbered us around the scrimmages that is work rate & they move the ball the best by hand of any team l have seen in this comp because of those numbers around the ball. I think we were set up very well behind the ball because they played so many up high around the ball & that really assisted us in defence but I think they were the better team on the day that could not find a way through our defence. Anyway its a mute point that counts for nothing now on to next week.
Scotty Gowan’s has said a number of times he’s happy to let teams throw numbers at the contest and we will try to control the outside. I think this was the first time it hurt us although to their credit the girls still won.

3 Duffin
2 King
1 Stanton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back