Review AFLW Round 4 vs North Melbourne (and Umpires). The Good, Bad and Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
22-19 in our favour. We definitely had to earn them a lot more than Norf did tho.

Not a great look when the game winning goal comes from an atrocious unwarranted free kick
It was more where they got them than how many they got. Bit that’s umpiring I guess.

I’m saving my real annoyance for this confence system which will deliver up a GF booth to a team that will get slaughtered

22-19 in our favour. We definitely had to earn them a lot more than Norf did tho.

Not a great look when the game winning goal comes from an atrocious unwarranted free kick
Yeah i'd say most of ours where HTB Frees

In review mode now. Obviously a hard loss to digest as i can't see us recovering with the AFL's shitty conference system, with all the strong teams in ours. But standard AFLW season from us, ****ed by the breeze in round 1 and ****ed by the umps in round 4, but at least this year it was spread out rather than the s**t that went down at the whitten oval last year. Oh well, now just watching for a good showing in our last few games

AFLW has always had shocking umpiring this is no surprise
They actually changed who they appointed from season 1 to season 2. In season 1, they had a list of guys and girls who were around TAC Cup level, so they were pretty damn ordinary. But last year and this year, they've got a list of state league quality umpires who they're looking at to put on the AFL list, with some females who are in some other squad. So they actually should be better than what they put on today

Freo could very possibly lose to both Geelong and North, so we really just need to focus on winning our remaining games. Bitterly disappointing result today but we played super well, we’ve been the best team across the three seasons I reckon

Freo could very possibly lose to both Geelong and North, so we really just need to focus on winning our remaining games. Bitterly disappointing result today but we played super well, we’ve been the best team across the three seasons I reckon
Just also the unluckiest

It was more where they got them than how many they got. Bit that’s umpiring I guess.

I’m saving my real annoyance for this confence system which will deliver up a GF booth to a team that will get slaughtered

The free kick was heavy in your favour early in the game and it swung around a fair bit late in the game. I think there was a lot of good tackling and a lot of holding the ball decisions so the number of frees at any given time isn't just the result of bad umpiring, however, we got some really soft ones in front of goal that come from a shanky kick coming in and defenders probably not comfortable about how it is going to land. It just hurts when they pop up there.

Overall, I think you guys dominated the vast majority of play around the midfield and between the two arcs but were probably too predictable going to Cunningham too much. It felt like we lost too many one-on-one contests, we just had the sporadic good pieces of play where we got the ball to our forwards a bit better. When teams only kick 5 or 6 goals you can get away without dominating if you are a bit cleaner going forward.

I think we were lucky in the end. Melbourne should be in the finals, got one of the better squads and play a good brand of football.

They actually changed who they appointed from season 1 to season 2. In season 1, they had a list of guys and girls who were around TAC Cup level, so they were pretty damn ordinary. But last year and this year, they've got a list of state league quality umpires who they're looking at to put on the AFL list, with some females who are in some other squad. So they actually should be better than what they put on today

I’ve attended games over the previous 2 seasons as both a partisan and neutral supporter. If we say the men’s umpiring, when held up to consistency and adjudicating within a game, is a 6/10 (and I think I’m being generous), the umpiring in the AFLW is about a 4/10... in every single game. And that’s being very generous. The interpretations on marking alone in our game last night changed within quarters, let alone between quarters, even allowing for a different umpire making calls.

The AFL should be embarrassed of this conference system. Absolute joke. Us, North, Freo and Adelaide are a cut above the rest of the comp and when each team has come up against each other it's made for some damn entertaining games. The comp will end up with two formality preliminary finals with two teams that absolutely won't deserve to be there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bit unfair to say this before Geelong play Fremantle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back