Women's Footy AFLW Round 5 Fremantle Vs Western Bulldogs, Fremantle Oval. Sunday 3 Mar 2019, 3:05pm (AWST)

rgauci

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 16, 2004
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
DOCKERS
What a win. Geelong away would be the toughest task from group B. And off a 6 day break. Though complete the task and we can guarantee a final with a win versus North.

jedi mind tricks

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 13, 2011
Dream State
AFL Club
Fremantle
How much difference does Bowers make

When she's at her best she's the key

IMO Miller does everything right each game and doesn't have the same hype as Bowers, Hooker etc

Miller was missed massively last week against the Crows.

On a side note my daughter is convinced she'll play for Freo after Tarnisha Golisano ran over and gave her a signed Dockers hat.

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
I watched yesterday's game but mostly missed the rest of the games this season, is the list a lot better or is it because we now have a coach that has some idea what they are doing?
Definitely think the more basic game plan has helped more than anything - even yesterday when they over thought things they got themselves into trouble. Nothing wrong with playing the percentages so long as the time it takes for players to work out what to do doesn't slow down their ball movement.

Kiara Bowers has been massive though (and Hooker is class - was tagged and still had a record breaking 6 centre clearances). Just have to look at the stats across the comp to get a sense of how much pressure they both bring:

Wally Walpamur

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
I watched yesterday's game but mostly missed the rest of the games this season, is the list a lot better or is it because we now have a coach that has some idea what they are doing?
I also think that across the whole league the girl’s understanding of the game and their skills have improved out of sight, which lets them move the ball a bit quicker and makes for much better viewing. The AFL should do away with AFLX and pump more resources into the AFLW for either a longer season, more teams or both. I don’t know the numbers but I’d imagine it’s one of the fastest growing games in Australia.

Apr 25, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle

Others have commented, so won't repeat those things. But if you saw Yesterdays game, you missed the obvious deficiency which was shown up in the loss the previous week. Our ruck was monstered by Adelaides, it is something that has to be addressed in the coming drafting/trading.

We've also improved in areas that the rest of the league has also improved on... But it is part of why we look better than in previous years. The whole league now has a couple of preseasons and have welded into teams instead of groups of individuals, also, moving on from where skills etc were compromised by bringing in athletes from other codes - those folks have AFL practice now and are getting into position better and a bit better on tactics etc.

Additionally the fitness of the competition has gone up, a lot of players have slimmed down the fat and gotten more muscle and aerobic capacity compared to year 1.

Clems Knee

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Others have commented, so won't repeat those things. But if you saw Yesterdays game, you missed the obvious deficiency which was shown up in the loss the previous week. Our ruck was monstered by Adelaides, it is something that has to be addressed in the coming drafting/trading.
We got Alicia Janz back from injury on the weekend. Having two rucks should help if we get to play Adelaide again.

Back